• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

MMOs

Aulos

Sappho's Friend
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
What is your opinion on them? Have you ever played an MMO before? If so, which one(s) and do you still play them?

I used to play Runescape eons ago, before it went and got completely overhauled, though it's basically just a single player game that happens to have other people.
I've played World of Warcraft before, which actually implements other players in like dungeon raids or whatever they're called.
I've also played Elder Scrolls Online as well, which is basically just Skyrim controls with an Oblivion feel.

In the end I grow bored, multiplayer games just aren't for me, especially when you don't have any friends to constantly play with, they just don't really mesh with me.
Usually it's due to the monthly subscription fees that make me feel like I need to get my money's worth, but even with ESO which is a one time payment, I eventually grew bored of it too, so I'm not sure.
I think single player games just have more interesting and gripping stories and it doesn't feel like every other person playing the game is on the same epic quest that only you, the hero can do.

ahh these were so important to me when I was teen! I played so many of them, a lot ended up closing later. some of my biggest games I spent a ton of time on were trickster online, maplestory, and la tale, probably in that order. right now I play a subscription-based mmo (final fantasy xiv) and it works very well for me. <3 generally a good community and the game is a lot of fun.

• Staff
So I downloaded the free version of Final Fantasy XIV Online and it is the first MMORPG I have ever played in my entire life. It's taken a little getting used to, because I'm not used to playing a role in battle. I'm used to playing offense and that's it. I went with the Gladiator class, because swords and armor are cool. Lol. And as I said, offense. Turns out Gladiator isn't simply offense. The first dungeon I went through as a Gladiator, I failed to completely understand this and made everyone mad. :oops: (of which I didn't notice for a long time because I had never paid much attention to the chat).

I had also picked up the Conjurer class because there was a certain mount reward I 100% had to have. I did the my first runs through dungeons with that class and understood the role quite well. So I think I may stick with the healer class.

So, that's my first experience with an MMORPG, and I do think it's fun to play a role and be surrounded by other people online. It does make playing features like the dungeon a bit stressful, though. Especially because I completely failed everyone that one time. =(

So I downloaded the free version of Final Fantasy XIV Online and it is the first MMORPG I have ever played in my entire life. It's taken a little getting used to, because I'm not used to playing a role in battle. I'm used to playing offense and that's it. I went with the Gladiator class, because swords and armor are cool. Lol. And as I said, offense. Turns out Gladiator isn't simply offense. The first dungeon I went through as a Gladiator, I failed to completely understand this and made everyone mad. :oops: (of which I didn't notice for a long time because I had never paid much attention to the chat).

I had also picked up the Conjurer class because there was a certain mount reward I 100% had to have. I did the my first runs through dungeons with that class and understood the role quite well. So I think I may stick with the healer class.

So, that's my first experience with an MMORPG, and I do think it's fun to play a role and be surrounded by other people online. It does make playing features like the dungeon a bit stressful, though. Especially because I completely failed everyone that one time. =(

Which world/data center are you on? I'm happy to send a friend request if you're looking for friends \o/ I'm on Sargatanas in the aether data center!

ooof though sorry about this experience. xiv generally has a very good community, but sometimes people do get frustrated if someone doesn't understand their role at all. But that's okay - we're all new and need to learn at some point. Hopefully it didn't upset you too much! Mostly everyone is very nice, but if you're brand new, you can always mention in the chat you're just starting out. That way people will be aware and can point out if you're doing anything wrong.

But yeah, gladiator is a tank class, so you're expected to walk ahead in dungeons + grab mob aggro so they don't attack your teammates. Best way to do this is to turn your tank stance on when you're in a dungeon (Iron Will in your case), which will keep you higher on the aggro list, and from there using Shield Lob to focus an enemy from a pack on you when you're walking towards them. Then using Total Eclipse (close-range AoE) to grab any nearby enemies in that vicinity. From there, if there are multiple enemies around, I'll keep using Total Eclipse to wittle them down along with the rest of the group, and using Provoke if a stray mob leaves to aggro on someone else (usually the healer) to get them back onto me. It's a learning process, but tanking is actually quite simple now since they reworked the class for Shadowbringers. You can try watching this guide to tanking in Sastasha (first dungeon in the game) and this general tanking guide with pros/cons if you're ever interested in continuing the class. Tanks are always in demand and a lot of people seem scared to level them, so it does make it feel very rewarding to play.

Don't worry too much though, when I first went into a dungeon (I was a conjurer at the time) I didn't heal anyone at all lol. People had to tell me "heal please" and it was a bit embarrassing. I think it's very normal to make mistakes like these with your class early on, even if you did Hall of the Novice.

Healing is fun and as a healer main for several years I'm happy to help if you ever aren't sure about something <3

• Staff
Which world/data center are you on? I'm happy to send a friend request if you're looking for friends \o/ I'm on Sargatanas in the aether data center!

I knew nothing about servers, so I just went with one of the ones that showed my portion of the US IIRC... Lamia in Primal.

I am thinking about maybe creating a second character and would thus select a different server. While I've worked hard with my first character, I ended up awkwardly giving her my name plus a really silly last name, because I wasn't expecting a first + last name thing in a game. A better, non-real name, musical name came to me very shortly thereafter, and I'm thinking of creating another character with that name and making her a Bard.

But I'd still have to have my preferred mount, which would means tons and tons of grinding, as I'd have to level Conjurer up to 30 again, alongside the Archer class. *sigh* I went with the name I have on my first character only because I thought it would be an easy switch later. I was wrong. I'd have to buy the full game, plus pay an extra $10. I have no spending money at all for the foreseeable future, so I can't do that. It's either make a new character for this, or don't...

It'd be neat to be friends! You'll have to tell me what kind of server Sargatanas is.

ooof though sorry about this experience. xiv generally has a very good community, but sometimes people do get frustrated if someone doesn't understand their role at all. But that's okay - we're all new and need to learn at some point. Hopefully it didn't upset you too much! Mostly everyone is very nice, but if you're brand new, you can always mention in the chat you're just starting out. That way people will be aware and can point out if you're doing anything wrong.

Yeah, I know. I understand them being frustrated. The problem is, I'm on the PS4, and thus don't have a keyboard for typing or a mouse for clicking. That makes getting to the chat and typing really unfeasible. It left me in a very awkward position because I had no idea what they meant when they told me to turn my stance on, and I couldn't ask.

Saying turn the stance on is such a weird wording... I mean, when you go into the start menu, there's a selection called "Stance", but it's merely whether you're character is in the pose of fighting or not. So... I was really confused because that didn't make sense to be frustrated about. I couldn't figure it out, as there was nothing to "turn on" and I couldn't respond, so either they kicked me out or they quit the whole thing. =/ Very embarrassing.

What they really wanted was for me to keep on using the "Iron Will" and keep it active, right? I ran another dungeon with the Gladiator class later, did that, and had absolutely no problems.

I do get it. Because as a healer, when the enemies come after me, it's really bad news. But to make a huge deal about it in the first dungeon, which is really basic, is kinda silly to me. Oh well.

But yeah, gladiator is a tank class, so you're expected to walk ahead in dungeons + grab mob aggro so they don't attack your teammates. Best way to do this is to turn your tank stance on when you're in a dungeon (Iron Will in your case), which will keep you higher on the aggro list, and from there using Shield Lob to focus an enemy from a pack on you when you're walking towards them. Then using Total Eclipse (close-range AoE) to grab any nearby enemies in that vicinity. From there, if there are multiple enemies around, I'll keep using Total Eclipse to wittle them down along with the rest of the group, and using Provoke if a stray mob leaves to aggro on someone else (usually the healer) to get them back onto me. It's a learning process, but tanking is actually quite simple now since they reworked the class for Shadowbringers. You can try watching this guide to tanking in Sastasha (first dungeon in the game) and this general tanking guide with pros/cons if you're ever interested in continuing the class. Tanks are always in demand and a lot of people seem scared to level them, so it does make it feel very rewarding to play.

Thanks it. I'm thinking I'm going to stick with White Mage and go through the story that way. I don't want to get myself burnt out, and now I'm delving into crafting classes because I really want neat clothing and stuff, and I can't buy it from others because the free trial version doesn't let you do that.

Healing is fun and as a healer main for several years I'm happy to help if you ever aren't sure about something <3

I don't really understand Esuna or Raise. Unfortunately, the last time I played in a dungeon, the tank got KOed in the final boss match and I was freaking out because I failed them despite trying my best to keep that from happening. I tried to use Raise. I didn't get interrupted, so it took... But nothing happened.

I don't understand when to use Esuna. I've tried using it when I see statuses on other people, but nothing happens and it's a waste, so it's embarrassing.

Last edited:

It's very easy to get a character to 30 once you start doing dungeons, and at level 14-15 you unlock the leveling roulette which you can do daily. It rolls a random dungeon from the ones you've unlocked and gives you lots of experience for doing it each day. Definitely not hard to get the unicorn mount once you've played a bit and gotten used to the game, so I honestly wouldn't worry about that! Just remake the character if you really want. I promise level 30 isn't high!

Sarg is a world in the aether data center, which is one of the 3 NA data centers. Primal is one of them too. Pretty much the same as any other world really, with a good-sized population. A lot of my friends are on aether, so I stuck around here. The game probably put you into a world that had a new player exp buff, which is also great!

And yeah I understand the terms can be confusing for new players :< If you're really finding it hard to understand you can start with a DPS class? The wait time to queue into dungeons will be slower (since tanks and healers are almost always in demand, while there are a lot of DPS players) but at least you'll have a lot less pressure worrying about tank and healer responsibilities. But since you did say you'd try playing as a white mage, just let people know you're new and most will understand! You'll adjust before you know it.

I'm assuming when you use skills you're close enough to the target for them to work, otherwise you wouldn't be able to cast them. For esuna, some debuffs can't be removed, so you might be trying to remove those. The most important one to remove is paralysis (here's the icon) since it interrupts people from using skills or moving. It's totally normal to try using esuna on debuffs you don't recognize/remember if they can be removed, and even veteran healers can forget and try anyway. I'm max level/have been playing for years and still do it sometimes because I can't remember. Don't worry about testing - it's not embarrassing at all!

Raise should work, but the character has to first accept the raise. I've had instances where I tried to raise someone but they either went AFK or just didn't accept the raise until the right time (didn't want to revive into a mechanic that would kill them again, for example, since the invincibility timer after revival is fairly short) but other than that I'm not sure why. Were you using a macro that combines Swiftcast (next spell is cast immediately) + Raise? If so, skill combo macros aren't reliable in this game and can fail half the time, so that can also be the cause. I stopped using those because of it. But it seems to me like the character just didn't accept the raise right away.

Last edited:
I played Ultima Online and the original Everquest, once upon a time. In the end I just didn't really enjoy the multiplayer element and the incredible grindiness (since I only played an hour or so a day and never joined any guilds I never progressed far in either) and once single player open world RPGs like Morrowind came to my attention I stop playing MMO and rarely looked back, and never actually played one again.

I do have a few fond memories of them, to be honest.

Last edited:
I didn't start playing MMO(RPG) games for a while after I first was granted internet access, sticking mostly to online or flash games at the time.

The most common MMORPG game I currently play is Minecraft, public servers to be precise, and honestly it's the best way because the wide variety of different players and games to interact with them makes things a lot more interesting and robust.

I don't usually play MMOs, mainly because in my experience they tend to actively disrespect the time you spend playing them. Progress tends to be painfully slow, and from my experience the base gameplay rarely tends to be enjoyable enough to make up for it. If I play an MMO I might spend about a week on it before getting bored out of my mind by the fact that nothing's happening as I try to slowly grind my way through a bunch of samey gameplay to reach a point I can progress from.

About the most MMO-y game I've ever really played with any amount of consistency is Monster Hunter World, and given the fact that you can do the whole thing single-player with no concerns I'm not really sure it counts.

The first MMO I played was Runescape on the school computers back in the early-mid 2000s.Back around 2010, I played a ftp MMORPG called Asda Story. I don't play either of those anymore. Now I play FF14 as s scholar main on Zalera, tough I'm also trying to get used to summoner now and get white mage and astrologian to 80.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom