• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

(Mod Note: Read First Post! Updated 6/1/13) Game Freak "expanding Pokémon world"

What do you want and what do you expect?

• I expect and want Gen. VI

Votes: 61 49.2%
  • I expect and want R/S remalkes

Votes: 16 12.9%
  • I expect Gen. VI, but I'd like R/S remakes

Votes: 35 28.2%
  • I expect R/S remakes, but I want Gen. VI

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • I expect some spinoff game for Wii U or something like that

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I don't expect it will be anything important at all

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Game Freak promise to expand the Pokémon world next year

I'm glad that we are getting the next gen earlier but I'm said cause... of stupid Meloetta I'm one pokemon away from total completion and boom new pokemon meaning there is a pokemon that people know about which I can't get (again). What the hell is taking this event so long Genesect and Keldeo were out long before their movies and Meloetta has been on the American anime for a while. Damn I'm mad.

They'll have nothing to worry about since Smartphones and Tablet were ment to be mobile PCs/Macs anyways.
I don't see your point. The threat to Nintendo is that smartphones and tablets are becoming increasingly sophisticated at a relatively fast upgrade rate. The games are also far cheaper, being offered for free or at very modest prices in the $1 range. This is all explained here.

the 5 year Cycle of Consoles and Handheld will continue unless somehow the computer technology is advancing far beyond what we could comprehend.
There is no fixed cycle. The Game Boy lasted 9.5 years, the GBC 2.5 years, the GBA 3.75 years, and the DS exceeded six years with the DSi's help. Only the Nintendo 64 and GameCube lasted around five years each, but the Wii made it to six years.

Frugrow said:
I really don't think Nintendo will announce its next handheld until many years later... Just like Gen 4 and 5, I believe Gen 6 and 7 will be released on the same handheld console; the 3DS.
But why do you think that?

It seems to soon to release it now... Without Ruby/Sapphire remakes I would be dissapointed... Oh , I don't even have money or somehing to get a 3DS... I'm doom on al ways. But the fact that they said something doesn't mean they are going to release it almost inmediately, I believe it is too early to finish this Generation. Just think, in the anime, Advanced Generation series had 192 episodes and Diamond and Pearl had 191. Episode N first episode is just the 109, and there are too few Main Series games for now. I think there is one year or a little less than one year more for this Generation yet.

Nintendo only just managed to get out of a slump with the 3DS and now it's totally wrecking the Japanese video games sales charts, so it won't be replaced for a long time. Besides, we already have the 3DS XL on the market as a revision. It's also completely smashing the Vita in terms of sales (but to be fair, what isn't?). In regards to tablets and all that, Nintendo don't consider them a competitor - to them, you can't compare a 5-minute time-kill game like Angry Birds to a more in-depth game like The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D and I agree with Nintendo in that respect - comparing the 3DS and tablets like the iPad is like comparing an apple to a tomato; on the outside they might look similar, but when you go beyond the surface, they're vastly different.

At this stage, the 3DS isn't even two years old and we know nothing about Generation VI, so it would be foolish to even try and think about Generation VII.

It seems to soon to release it now... Without Ruby/Sapphire remakes I would be dissapointed... Oh , I don't even have money or somehing to get a 3DS... I'm doom on al ways. But the fact that they said something doesn't mean they are going to release it almost inmediately, I believe it is too early to finish this Generation. Just think, in the anime, Advanced Generation series had 192 episodes and Diamond and Pearl had 191. Episode N first episode is just the 109, and there are too few Main Series games for now. I think there is one year or a little less than one year more for this Generation yet.
The games don't revolve around the anime - the anime revolves around the games. You may not have a Nintendo 3DS yet, but many gamers do (the system has been the top selling video games console in Japan almost every week since the price-cut last August). Nintendo also weren't happy that GameFreak developed Black 2 and White 2 for the DS, so there's no way that Nintendo will let them launch a DS game in 2013 - two years after the 3DS. Even the side series' like Pokémon Rumble and Mystery Dungeon have made the jump to the 3DS.

No one is expecting GameFreak to say "Okay, we have this new pair of games and you'll be able to buy them...tomorrow!". Even if the first primary pair is announced next week, they most likely won't be out in Japan until the third quarter of 2013.

Nintendo only just managed to get out of a slump with the 3DS and now it's totally wrecking the Japanese video games sales charts, so it won't be replaced for a long time.
That's a baseless claim if I ever saw one, unless by a long time you mean three more years. Miyamoto mentioned the successor precisely because of the 3DS' success. He feels that the 3DS is already complete, rendering a revision akin to the 3DSi unnecessary. That's why he is already looking toward the future.

At this stage, the 3DS isn't even two years old and we know nothing about Generation VI, so it would be foolish to even try and think about Generation VII.
As opposed to expecting remakes to be released in 2015, which you've noted several times? Please. Whether or not the 3DS will have two generations will indeed affect Generation VI.

Nintendo only just managed to get out of a slump with the 3DS and now it's totally wrecking the Japanese video games sales charts, so it won't be replaced for a long time.
That's a baseless claim if I ever saw one. Miyamoto mentioned the successor precisely because of the 3DS' success. He feels that the 3DS is already complete, rendering a revision akin to the 3DSi unnecessary. That's why he is already looking toward the future.
He's also a businessman. He knows that releasing a brand new iteration of something just because you have one new good idea won't do any good in the long term. I was actually having a discussion with my sister-in-law around Christmas about how I honestly expect Apple to burn out. Back in June I received an iPad 3, which at the time was the newest on the market. Then my older brother gets one a month ago and that's already been upgraded to have a different charging cable than mine (then there's the iPhone 5 that doesn't add anything really significant over the 4S except....an extra row for icons!). Eventually, consumers (and developers) will get fed up if Nintendo release a new console every 2 years or so because they had a new idea. Also, as was shown with the Nintendo Wii and DS, if something is making money for Nintendo, they will milk that cow for as long as they can. By "a long time", I meant that the 3DS won't be replaced in the immediate future; another 3 years would be what I'd think as the minimum.

Nintendo are constantly trying to evolve the 3DS experience, such as updating it to work with their new Nintendo Network system (although when that will happen is anybody's guess at this point). Miiverse is also coming to the 3DS at some point. So in one respect, you could say that they are on the lookout on how they can improve their services, but doing so without the need to get people to needlessly by another console so soon after another. If Nintendo were Apple, they'd have released a Miiverse-enabled 3DS as a brand new console xD

As opposed to expecting remakes to be released in 2015, which you've noted several times? Please. Whether or not the 3DS will have two generations will indeed affect Generation VI.
I've always said that if we get remakes, they'll most likely in 2015. My reasoning is detailed here. I don't think RS remakes are an absolute (and frankly, I hope we don't get them - we need less remakes and more original games).

I don't see how Generation 7 possibly being on the 3DS would affect Generation 6 (because 4 was affected by 5 wasn't it?), but regardless, at this time we have nothing to go on to suggest either argument. Let Nintendo announce a successor or GameFreak actually release some Generation VI games before we speculate on Generation 7 and what console it will be on.

I don't see how Generation 7 possibly being on the 3DS would affect Generation 6 (because 4 was affected by 5 wasn't it?),
Of course it did. Had Game Freak not developed Black and White for the DS, Generation IV would have been at least a year longer. No doubt that would have changed quite a bit.

I don't see how Generation 7 possibly being on the 3DS would affect Generation 6 (because 4 was affected by 5 wasn't it?),
Of course it did. Had Game Freak not developed Black and White for the DS, Generation IV would have been at least a year longer. No doubt that would have changed quite a bit.
It first became public that The Pokémon Company had received a 3DS Development kit in February 2010 (although they could have physically received it before). It wouldn't surprise me if it was Nintendo's hope that GameFreak would have moved the development of BW to the 3DS, so it could launch shortly after the console's launch (if not at launch).

Other than that, I don't see how it would have really affected Generation IV. It's not like we haven't had to wait for games before (The time-gap between Crystal and Ruby/Sapphire was 2 years and between Emerald and Diamond/Pearl was another 2 years). It would have been a similar deal.

It first became public that The Pokémon Company had received a 3DS Development kit in February 2010 (although they could have physically received it before). It wouldn't surprise me if it was Nintendo's hope that GameFreak would have moved the development of BW to the 3DS, so it could launch shortly after the console's launch (if not at launch).
Except that Generation V was announced in January 2010. Even Iwata was specific about the DS being involved.

Other than that, I don't see how it would have really affected Generation IV. It's not like we haven't had to wait for games before (The time-gap between Crystal and Ruby/Sapphire was 2 years and between Emerald and Diamond/Pearl was another 2 years). It would have been a similar deal.
And the gap between Diamond/Pearl and Platinum was also two years. It wouldn't have been beneficial for there to be yet another gap so close to the previous two. The franchise would have become stagnant in that case; at the very least HGSS would have had a lot more new content.

Except that Generation V was announced in January 2010. Even Iwata was specific about the DS being involved.

It was announced that a new game would be revealed during January 2010, but Black/White's announcement didn't come until April 2010. At the very least, Iwata shown in his usually polite way, that he wasn't happy how GameFreak didn't move to the 3DS after Black/White.

And the gap between Diamond/Pearl and Platinum was also two years. It wouldn't have been beneficial for there to be yet another gap so close to the previous two. The franchise would have become stagnant in that case.
There would still have been HeartGold/SoulSilver between Platinum and Black/White.

EDIT: Fecking quotes.

Last edited:

It was announced that a new game would be revealed during January 2010, but Black/White's announcement didn't come until April 2010. At the very least, Iwata shown in his usually polite way, that he wasn't happy how GameFreak didn't move to the 3DS after Black/White.
What difference does it make when the titles were revealed? Iwata confirmed that the new game would in fact be a new generation for the DS. And you're just speculating about Iwata being unhappy with Game Freak. We only know that he wasn't pleased with their sticking to the DS in 2012, and even then, it was the idea of a third version that bothered him more than anything.

There would still have been HeartGold/SoulSilver between Platinum and Black/White.
So? There would have still been three long gaps in a 7-year period. There is no guarantee that Game Freak would have managed to release Black and White for the 3DS in 2011, either. They've never released a new generation upon the launch of a new system.

By your logic, it doesn't matter if Generation VI will be released in 2013 or 2014.

Last edited:

What difference does it make when the titles were revealed? Iwata confirmed that the new game would in fact be a new generation for the DS. And you're just speculating about Iwata being unhappy with Game Freak. We only know that he wasn't pleased with their sticking to the DS in 2012, and even then, it was the idea of a third version that bothered him more than anything.
Being unhappy = not being pleased. I don't think it's possible to be both unhappy and pleased?
It doesn't take a genius to figure out that Satoru Iwata wasn't happy with Nintendo's top-selling handheld series effectively snubbing his company's brand new hardware for an extra year, especially as said new hardware had a very rocky first 6 months.

So? There would have still been six long gaps in a 7-year period. There is no guarantee that Game Freak would have managed to release Black and White for the 3DS in 2011, either. They've never released a new generation upon the launch of a new system.
Do I really need to bring up a list of a things the Pokémon franchise "never did" before Generation V? I'm sure if given the chance, Satoru Iwata would jump at the chance of having a main series Pokémon game as a console launch title.

By your logic, it doesn't matter if Generation VI will be released in 2013 or 2014.
Considering how quickly Meloetta and Genesect were pushed out of the door, it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out that GameFreak had originally planned to launch Generation VI in 2014. Whether this would have meant another Generation V game or a year gap is anyone's guess, but if that turned out to be the case, it wouldn't surprise me if Satoru Iwata pretty much told them that the next Pokémon game had to be for the 3DS...and well, you know how they always save new hardware for new generations.

They'll have nothing to worry about since Smartphones and Tablet were ment to be mobile PCs/Macs anyways.
I don't see your point. The threat to Nintendo is that smartphones and tablets are becoming increasingly sophisticated at a relatively fast upgrade rate. The games are also far cheaper, being offered for free or at very modest prices in the $1 range. This is all explained here.

You still have to buy the Smartphone/Tablet with the latest OS anyways, and those were expensive. Not to mention that most of those games were touch based entirely; I've played Giana Sister on my android and never pick it back up due to it's controls. I don't think that those will kill the Handheld industry; Same with top nouch PCs killing the Console industry, which they haven't.

the 5 year Cycle of Consoles and Handheld will continue unless somehow the computer technology is advancing far beyond what we could comprehend.
There is no fixed cycle. The Game Boy lasted 9.5 years, the GBC 2.5 years, the GBA 3.75 years, and the DS exceeded six years with the DSi's help. Only the Nintendo 64 and GameCube lasted around five years each, but the Wii made it to six years.
I supposed the average Console/Handheld/Computer lifespan was around 4/5 years if you're a man who have a tight budget for essentials.

And you may be right about Pocket Monsters 2/ Gold and Silver being developed with the original GB in mind, but back then GB games can have color coded for the GBC and thus be accesible for both Handhelds (that, and they're pretty much the same resolution).

Joshawott said:
Being unhappy = not being pleased. I don't think it's possible to be both unhappy and pleased?
My point is that we only know that he was bothered about the DS being promoted in 2012, as opposed to 2010.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that Satoru Iwata wasn't happy with Nintendo's top-selling handheld series effectively snubbing his company's brand new hardware for an extra year, especially as said new hardware had a very rocky first 6 months.
There is no reason to assume that he had a problem with Black and White in 2010, considering that the 3DS had yet to be released and he himself promoted the games in the context of the DS. Black and White may not have contributed to the 3DS' success, but they weren't a hindering factor, either. Chances are that Game Freak wouldn't have released 3DS games in 2011 anyway. Even if they had, they wouldn't have been have very good.

Do I really need to bring up a list of a things the Pokémon franchise "never did" before Generation V? I'm sure if given the chance, Satoru Iwata would jump at the chance of having a main series Pokémon game as a console launch title.
You could say that about any generation. Too bad for Iwata.

Considering how quickly Meloetta and Genesect were pushed out of the door, it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out that GameFreak had originally planned to launch Generation VI in 2014. Whether this would have meant another Generation V game or a year gap is anyone's guess, but if that turned out to be the case, it wouldn't surprise me if Satoru Iwata pretty much told them that the next Pokémon game had to be for the 3DS...and well, you know how they always save new hardware for new generations.
So you think that they originally wanted to release more DS games in 2013, but Iwata stopped them and so they had to develop a new generation earlier than planned? Please. Anyway, you're digressing from the point at hand, which is the fact that an added year would make a difference.

Last edited:

Joshawott said:
My point was that we only know that he was bothered about the DS being promoted in 2012, as opposed to 2010.

There is no reason to assume that he had a problem with Black and White in 2010, considering that the 3DS had to be released and he himself promoted the games in the context of the DS. Black and White may not have contributed to the 3DS' success, but they weren't a hindering factor, either. Chances are that Game Freak wouldn't have released 3DS games in 2011 anyway. Even if they had, they wouldn't have been have very good.
It wouldn't have been very good PR for Nintendo if its president had spoken anything other than positive words about Black/White being on the DS, would it? Even though the 3DS had yet to be released, it was unveiled at E3 that year, so it would have been really good PR for the 3DS if people knew that a Pokémon game was coming.

You could say that about any generation. Too bad for Iwata.
I didn't say I wasn't talking about any generation.

So you think that they originally wanted to release more DS games in 2013, but Iwata stopped them and so they had to develop a new generation earlier than planned? Please. Anyway, you're digressing from the point at hand, which is the fact that an added year would make a difference.
I didn't say that's what I think, I said it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. How else would you explain it?

And no, it wouldn't have made a difference at all. It didn't matter between Crystal and RS or Emerald and DP, so why would it have been any different with HGSS and BW? There's always been 2 years between a primary pair and the next games and no one flips the table. Who knows if it would have even been a full year anyway? The difference in the release dates of BW and the 3DS was 6 months; half a year. GameFreak might not have been able to make a game that fully used the 3DS to its potential in that time, but they certainly would have been able to port BW to the 3DS and slap on a couple of features (not saying I would have preferred that, but I'm sure Nintendo would have preferred a Pokémon game with a "3DS" banner on the box).

Considering TPC have had 3DS development kits for almost 3 years now, Gen VI had better be good xD

Last edited:

I didn't say that's what I think, I said it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. How else would you explain it?
Explain what? The fact that they created four event-exclusive legendaries for a 3-year generation? It's unprecedented, but it is hardly that bizarre. They just went overboard with the legendaries. I wouldn't say that there is anything wrong with how Meloetta was showcased or how Genesect will be showcased.

And no, it wouldn't have made a difference at all. It didn't matter between Crystal and RS or Emerald and DP, so why would it have been any different with HGSS and BW? There's always been 2 years between a primary pair and the next games and no one flips the table.
Was any generation five years long? No. HGSS were released three years into Generaton IV; some people had already grown had tired of the generation. If the gap between HGSS and Black and White had been longer, the veteran fans who returned owing to the remakes may have very well lost interest again.

GameFreak might not have been able to make a game that fully used the 3DS to its potential in that time, but they certainly would have been able to port BW to the 3DS and slap on a couple of features (not saying I would have preferred that, but I'm sure Nintendo would have preferred a Pokémon game with a "3DS" banner on the box).
I refuse to entertain such a terrible idea.

Explain what? The fact that they created four event-exclusive legendaries for a 3-year generation? It's unprecedented, but it is hardly that bizarre. They just went overboard with the legendaries. I wouldn't say that there is anything wrong with how Meloetta was showcased or how Genesect will be showcased.
You would have that you know...for a three year generation they would have erm...made three legendaries and not revealed all but one of those in the same year? At the very least, they could have revealed Keldeo last year and had 2 a year...that wouldn't have been as weird. They obviously had a plan of some kind and it went tits up.

And no, it wouldn't have made a difference at all. It didn't matter between Crystal and RS or Emerald and DP, so why would it have been any different with HGSS and BW? There's always been 2 years between a primary pair and the next games and no one flips the table.
Was any generation five years long? No. HGSS were released three years into Generaton IV; some people had already grown had tired of the generation. If the gap between HGSS and Black and White had been longer, the veteran fans who returned owing to the remakes may have very well lost interest again.
Was any generation launched on the same console as the generation before it? Did any generation have sequels instead of a third version before? Did any generation not have a 3D battling simulator before? Generation V was the "Throw everything out of the window" generation so it wouldn't have surprised me at all. Besides, I've never said that there would have 100% been a year gap - they might have even planned, heaven forbid, RS remakes or something. Who knows?

Also, is there any evidence that there would have been such a crash of interest if there was a few more months between HGSS and BW? Also, you say "some people had already grown tired of the generation"...really? Because I didn't see anything suggesting that.

GameFreak might not have been able to make a game that fully used the 3DS to its potential in that time, but they certainly would have been able to port BW to the 3DS and slap on a couple of features (not saying I would have preferred that, but I'm sure Nintendo would have preferred a Pokémon game with a "3DS" banner on the box).
I refuse to entertain such a terrible idea.
Did I ever say it would have been a good idea? Nope. A 3DS main series Pokémon game might certainly have help avoid the almost disastrous launch of the 3DS though because regardless of whether it looked like a DS game with a few tweaks or a full 3D game, we would have bought it, as would millions of other fans, as well as a shiny new 3DS to play it on.

I think they've had plenty of time...there's a decent amount of 3DS games out now that use it to acceptable levels of its potential, there's no excuse GameFreak should have for not being able to create a great game.

You would have that you know...for a three year generation they would have erm...made three legendaries and not revealed all but one of those in the same year? At the very least, they could have revealed Keldeo last year and had 2 a year...that wouldn't have been as weird. They obviously had a plan of some kind and it went tits up.
It is really not that big a deal. Victini was featured in 2011 and Genesect will be featured next year, but they were both revealed early to accommodate Wi-Fi events for newly released games. Keldeo wasn't distributed in 2011 because there was no room for it in Movie 14, and there was no important game released that year that would have warranted a Wi-Fi event.

Keldeo, Meloetta and Genesect being released in the same year only indicates that 2013 will be largely about Generation VI. It doesn't mean that there was a change of plans.

Besides, I've never said that there would have 100% been a year gap - they might have even planned, heaven forbid, RS remakes or something. Who knows?
We're having this discussion because you didn't agree that the added year would have made a difference. Come on now.

Regardless of any additional games that might have been released, I'm certain that at the very least the Generation IV games would have made better use of the DS features. It is obvious that Game Freak didn't go all the way because they wanted to leave room for innovation in another DS-based generation.

Also, is there any evidence that there would have been such a crash of interest if there was a few more months between HGSS and BW?
I'm talking about a difference of at least a year. The six-month scenario would have opened a different can of worms as it would have required lazily passing off DS games as 3DS ones.

Also, you say "some people had already grown tired of the generation"...really? Because I didn't see anything suggesting that.
It was easy to miss considering that the Generation V hype was underway shortly after HGSS' release.

Did I ever say it would have been a good idea? Nope. A 3DS main series Pokémon game might certainly have help avoid the almost disastrous launch of the 3DS though because regardless of whether it looked like a DS game with a few tweaks or a full 3D game, we would have bought it, as would millions of other fans.
It would have been the wrong move to make. Nothing disastrous happened as a result of the 3DS' lackluster first few months, but Generation V would have been adversely affected had people been forced to buy a new console for little to no justifiable reason.

Last edited:

I think they've had plenty of time...there's a decent amount of 3DS games out now that use it to acceptable levels of its potential, there's no excuse GameFreak should have for not being able to create a great game.

You don't know anything about a game development, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom