• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

(Mod Note: Read First Post! Updated 6/1/13) Game Freak "expanding Pokémon world"

What do you want and what do you expect?

• I expect and want Gen. VI

Votes: 61 49.2%
  • I expect and want R/S remalkes

Votes: 16 12.9%
  • I expect Gen. VI, but I'd like R/S remakes

Votes: 35 28.2%
  • I expect R/S remakes, but I want Gen. VI

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • I expect some spinoff game for Wii U or something like that

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I don't expect it will be anything important at all

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Game Freak promise to expand the Pokémon world next year

It seems like Generation 5 has just got here! I love Unova and all, but with that said I am ready for a new region, pokemon and adventure! I'm looking forward to see what Pokemon holds next as far as Eevee evolutions, also. Maybe a ghost type or steel type!

It implies that something big is coming, but then the URL is telling enough (Important Announcement).

Does anyone know when the official website tends to be updated on non-Friday days? I remember that the B2W2 animated trailer was supposed to be officially uploaded at 7PM JST as opposed to 3PM (the usual Friday time). Is it reasonable to assume that the page will be updated at 3PM at the earliest? You'd think that they'd just tell us the hour since they're making us wait.

It often takes breaks this time of year. Christmas and then New Year break. In Japan, New Year breaks usually go from the 31st to the 4th. Them not updating has nothing to do with this.

So since they're making a huge deal about the 8th, with an official site announcement and a countdown, are we likely to get anything on Pokemon Smash? It's kind of weird to me if Masuda is appearing 2 days before this huge reveal, but doesn't reveal anything. Could we get a hint or a silhouette?

None whatsoever. Masuda and Morimoto being on Smash on Sunday have nothing to do with announcements. They're there to judge the annual Pokémon Smash host tournament, as they have done the last few years. We've known this since the 22nd but certain sites seem to have ignored that while reporting Masuda and Morimoto's appearances

I dunno bout anyone else, but I think a silhouette is a given at this point. The movie star can be for February if its a gen 6, but I think something will come this month. After all, CoroCoro is coming out next Sunday, the same day as Pokemon Smash. If anything's gonna happen in there, its gonna tie in with CoroCoro as well.

CoroCoro is due out on the 15th, which is a Tuesday, not the same day as Pokémon Smash. While it may leak on the 13th, that does not mean things for it will appear on the 13th

Last edited:

None whatsoever. Masuda and Morimoto being on Smash on Sunday have nothing to do with announcements. They're there to judge the annual Pokémon Smash host tournament, as they have done the last few years. We've known this since the 22nd but certain sites seem to have ignored that while reporting Masuda and Morimoto's appearances

The timing is a bit too convenient though. I think they'll at least hint at the announcement once they're done judging the tournament.

The timing is a bit too convenient though. I think they'll at least hint at the announcement once they're done judging the tournament.
The tournament is the entire episode though, nothing else will be shown.

It is very unlikely. It is just a coincidence

Now that the official website has updated with an advertisement for this announcement, this is sure to be something big. At the very least, now it's very exciting.

In terms of Smash, I expect next Sunday's episode to cover this announcement.

Serebii how likely do you think that this is in fact a Main Series game being revealed on the 8th? Do you think Gen VI is on its way?

Serebii how likely do you think that this is in fact a Main Series game being revealed on the 8th? Do you think Gen VI is on its way?

I prefer to not prognosticate

I really hope they will ditch the sprites to give way for 3D models, I think it would really take the Pokemon games a step in the right direction. While sprites are definitely not bad, I think these moving sprites made up of parts that stretch, expands, inlates etc is better off at being 3D models instead. The small amount of frames gives off unsmooth and limited movements and sometimes it just looks bad. I keep seeing them miss features on Pokemon's back sprites, too.

Using Pokedex 3D Pro's models would be the ideal choice, since they are already done anyway, but they should get rid off the plastic, unrealistic and uninspiring textures/shadows and revise it all to better suite a main series game. I'd like to see rich and vibrant colors with shadows that isn't just pure black, something Super Mario 3D Land-like or something, but not entirely. Battles would in general also be nice 3D experiences, with all them battle animations and all. Individual "attack" animations would be cool too. Not unique animations for every attack, but a standard attack animation given to all Pokemon, used for all moves (or maybe two animations. One "attack", for physical/special moves, and one "summon", for status moves). Wishful thinking maybe, but still.

I'd also like to see an OW with free movement. Like Mitchman says, it would give them more freedom in creating round and varied environments.

I prefer to not prognosticate
I get that, but I'd still be interested to see you input on the likelihood of this being a Gen VI reveal.

I really hope they will ditch the sprites to give way for 3D models, I think it would really take the Pokemon games a step in the right direction. While sprites are definitely not bad, I think these moving sprites made up of parts that stretch, expands, inlates etc is better off at being 3D models instead. The small amount of frames gives off unsmooth and limited movements and sometimes it just looks bad. I keep seeing them miss features on Pokemon's back sprites, too.

Using Pokedex 3D Pro's models would be the ideal choice, since they are already done anyway, but they should get rid off the plastic, unrealistic and uninspiring textures/shadows and revise it all to better suite a main series game. I'd like to see rich and vibrant colors with shadows that isn't just pure black, something Super Mario 3D Land-like or something, but not entirely. Battles would in general also be nice 3D experiences, with all them battle animations and all. Individual "attack" animations would be cool too. Not unique animations for every attack, but a standard attack animation given to all Pokemon, used for all moves (or maybe two animations. One "attack", for physical/special moves, and one "summon", for status moves). Wishful thinking maybe, but still.

I'd also like to see an OW with free movement. Like Mitchman says, it would give them more freedom in creating round and varied environments.
I'm... not quite sure that would be the 'right direction' in how to proceed, honestly. Then again, I'm not someone who thinks that 3D is entirely necessary to make a great game, and find that the style of main game pokemon games is good enough as it currently is with sprites.

I can't remember where it was mentioned, but there was something said about how GameFreak would rather keep with sprites because the sprites evoke a certain feeling of sorts in regards to the games.

@Serebii, I think that the lack of updates it's because New Year's time, not because of the announcement. Like we don't have episodes for 2 weeks, we don't have site updates for 2 weeks.

My personal opinion. Gen VI is incoming... this year in Japan. The question is what thing the announcement made. I think that the announcement will be only a silhouette of a pokemon (that's going to be revealed on CoroCoro) and a anoouncement of new generation for the 3DS this year.

We know that the games won't be released before September (or at the earliest last week of August) of this year because we know that the next movie will premiere in July and the movie will still be Best Wishes and that need promotion. And releasing a game in August in a bad move for the writers.

Exist two possibilities of releasing games: Or the games are released in September in Japan and Nov/Dec internationally (and make sense because GameFreak needs a Pokemon 3DS as soon as possible) or the game will be released in Nov/Dec in Japan and in March 2014 internationally. There aren't going to do again a 6 month break.

Regarding the movie: Although we know that the Genesect movie will be featuring new pokemon, I think that the movie will be a special case (later I expalin why). And I thinkt hat will see new evolution in Gen VI, specially new eevolutions (Virgil's Eevee don't scream that, but the Eevee short is being very suspicious.

@Serebii, I think that the lack of updates it's because New Year's time, not because of the announcement. Like we don't have episodes for 2 weeks, we don't have site updates for 2 weeks.

That was my point :p I was countering the suggestion that the lack of updates was due to the announcement

I'm... not quite sure that would be the 'right direction' in how to proceed, honestly. Then again, I'm not someone who thinks that 3D is entirely necessary to make a great game, and find that the style of main game pokemon games is good enough as it currently is with sprites.

I can't remember where it was mentioned, but there was something said about how GameFreak would rather keep with sprites because the sprites evoke a certain feeling of sorts in regards to the games.

I don't find 3D being necessary to make a "great game", but I think it could work here. The 3D models on 3DS doesn't exactly look like 3D models on a console game, they look more like very smooth "3D sprites" of sorts (that you can zoom in without them looking blocky as heck), and I think that could suit a Pokemon main game quite well, and I think it could work better than sprites since the 3DS has smaller pixels/a bigger resolution.

If they deside to keep the current sprites though, I really hope they improve on their movements.

I don't know if this has been brought up but is there a way to see if Nintendo or Game Freak have submitted or have been granted new copyright or trademark?

I don't know if this has been brought up but is there a way to see if Nintendo or Game Freak have submitted or have been granted new copyright or trademark?

I've been checking every Tuesday and haven't seen anything

I've been checking every Tuesday and haven't seen anything

Anyone remember how long one was granted before games were announced and it could be a possibility that they will use names that are already granted.

What are the names already registered aside Gray, Purple, Brown, Scarlet, & Crimson?

In 2009 Nintendo trademarked Pokemon Black, White, Brown, Gray, Purple, Scarlet and Crimson

In 2009 Nintendo trademarked Pokemon Black, White, Brown, Gray, Purple, Scarlet and Crimson
They've also had titles like Moonstone trademarked for years. Nintendo trademarks things speculatively to stop people using the name and such.

Edit:
Fudge..the official ENGLISH Facebook is talking about the announcement.

This shit is big.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom