• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

(Mod Note: Read First Post! Updated 6/1/13) Game Freak "expanding Pokémon world"

What do you want and what do you expect?

• I expect and want Gen. VI

Votes: 61 49.2%
  • I expect and want R/S remalkes

Votes: 16 12.9%
  • I expect Gen. VI, but I'd like R/S remakes

Votes: 35 28.2%
  • I expect R/S remakes, but I want Gen. VI

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • I expect some spinoff game for Wii U or something like that

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I don't expect it will be anything important at all

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Game Freak promise to expand the Pokémon world next year

I wouldn't be too surprised with eeveelutions either, considering how all this advertisement could lead to some new additions.

Well, we all know it was going to happen sooner or later, the hints were all over the place, mainly with how the anime has been going lately.

There are many things I'm hoping to see in Gen 6, mainly evolutions to some of my favorite Pokemon (not Eevee though, as I personally don't want any new Eeveelutions), but of course, I will like the original ideas too. Game Freak just better not disappoint me.
Id dissagree on the Eeveelution bit, it's been a while since we have seen Eeveelutions and I definately would not mind seeing more if Game Freak is willing to make more. Also if I recall correctly the 3DS is extremely hard to hack, meaning event Pokemon will actually be secret again. I kinda like that, it gives a nostalgic feel for the early generations when no one knew about them. With DLC, they can keep them secret and it will actually be a surprise when they release them.

Agreed, I'm looking forward to what new Eeveelution(s) we'll get this time around. Also, it will be fun to go back to those days, 5th gen pretty much proved that they can still hide things from us with the Therian forms and Keldeo Resolute form so it'll be nice to actually have that continued feeling of surprise when the new pokemon/forms come out.

Yes we do. GF was openly making statements when the 3DS was revealed and numerous times have they been stated by Nintendo themselves that they first got the kit before a lot of other studios.
Actually, now that you mention it, I do recall that.

However, I have considerable doubts that it means that we'll be getting Generation 6 in less than a year.

At earliest, it will be released in late 2013 (September/October) but I feel it's much more likely to be released mid 2014.

Generation 5 doesn't magically end because people get anxious for Gen 6.

Generation 5 doesn't magically end because people get anxious for Gen 6.

No, it magically ends because there is literally nothing left for it.

At earliest, it will be released in late 2013 (September/October)
No one here said that it would be released before then. September is the standard guess.

but I feel it's much more likely to be released mid 2014.
Based on what?

I don't think that's up to a fan to decide.

Generation 5 will end when Game Freak wants to move on, not when a bunch of fans get overly hyped for the next generation after finishing up the latest game of that generation.

No one here said that it would be released before then. September is the standard guess.
Really? I must have been inferring the wrong date from your posts then.

Based on what?
The lack of the pre-generation movie (which should come after Genesect's and have at least a few months between its release and the next generation) and RSE remakes (which Masuda mentioned interest in in October).

If it is gen VI (Which I'm personally with the boat that believes it is), I'm just interested in seeing how they'll handle it after how plot driven Black and White were.

It would feel like a massive step back if they went back to the generic 'Collect 8 badges, stop generic evil team, beat league' plots of old, and they sure can't repete B&W/2s plot lines... But considering they addressed some of the major issues implied in the Pokemon world (using Pokemon for battling, letting kids wander around the world on their own even with Pokemon), I personally can't see what else they could do story wise...

I'm sorry that you consider the people who'd like to see Hoenn revamped "delusional".

If you honestly think RSE remakes can come next year, then yes you are delusional. No, not just delusional. You're a Hoennbabby.

Generation 5 will end when Game Freak wants to move on, not when a bunch of fans get overly hyped for the next generation after finishing up the latest game of that generation.

And Game Freak clearly wants to move on now.

The lack of the pre-generation movie (which should come after Genesect's and have at least a few months between its release and the next generation) and RSE remakes (which Masuda mentioned interest in in October).

Genesect's movie is the pre-generation movie. With Genesect being shown so early, it can only mean one thing: the February reveal will be a Gen 6 Pokemon. Note that the Crown Beast tie-in with Gen 5 is being blatantly repeated with Red Genesect, right down to probably having similar special moves.

The lack of the pre-generation movie (which should come after Genesect's and have at least a few months between its release and the next generation)

It is very logical to assume that February will reveal a Gen 6 Pokemon starring alongside Genesect. Thats how past patterns work, so I don't see them deviating any time soon.

Whats illogical is assuming remakes are coming on the DS, a dieing platform that has had its swan song played. (BW2) We can't move to the 3DS with remakes, so the only logical answer is Gen 6. There is nothing wrong with RSE remakes coming afterwards however, so why you are so adamant that they need to come beforehand is what I don't get.

Gen 5 was short because it was on the DS, that simple. There have been short gens before, (Gens 1 & 2 I believe) so its not really a shocker.

If you honestly think RSE remakes can come next year, then yes you are delusional. No, not just delusional. You're a Hoennbabby.
I'm sorry that you feel this way. I'll just make sure to leave a comment on your profile page when this "Hoennbabby" ends up being proven correct.

And Game Freak clearly wants to move on now.
Says whom again? Oh, right. Fans who've decided themselves that the generation is over.

Genesect's movie is the pre-generation movie. With Genesect being shown so early, it can only mean one thing: the February reveal will be a Gen 6 Pokemon. Note that the Crown Beast tie-in with Gen 5 is being blatantly repeated with Red Genesect, right down to probably having similar special moves.
Or, it could mean the blatantly obvious and just be a movie starring Genesect that is the second to last in the generation.

They could reveal a new sixth generation pokemon, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it will be the main star of the movie.

It is very logical to assume that February will reveal a Gen 6 Pokemon starring alongside Genesect. Thats how past patterns work, so I don't see them deviating any time soon.
Could you explain to me this pattern?

Whats illogical is assuming remakes are coming on the DS, a dieing platform that has had its swan song played. (BW2) We can't move to the 3DS with remakes, so the only logical answer is Gen 6.
It was "dieing" when Black and White came out as well. I don't see the "dieing platform" excuse as a reason to cut off the generation early.

There is nothing wrong with RSE remakes coming afterwards however, so why you are so adamant that they need to come beforehand is what I don't get.
I don't understand my adamant nature myself, but I just feel that the generation won't end just because a minority of players want to have Pokemon on the 3DS extra early.

Gen 5 was short because it was on the DS, that simple. There have been short gens before, (Gens 1 & 2 I believe) so its not really a shocker.
So now we're going backwards in development?

I'm sorry that you feel this way. I'll just make sure to leave a comment on your profile page when this "Hoennbabby" ends up being proven correct.

I'm sorry you feel that has a chance in hell of happening... At this point most Hoennbabbies have given up. It's always amusing to see an unrepentant straggler setting himself up to crash and burn. The very moment BW2 were announced, the idea of remakes happening this generation was over.

Says whom again? Oh, right. Fans who've decided themselves that the generation is over.

No, not the fans. Game Freak themselves. They're the ones who had all of the unrevealed Mythical Pokemon blown through in one year, and approved the anime concluding the League (an event which marks a new generation being about a year away at most).

Or, it could mean the blatantly obvious and just be a movie starring Genesect that is the second to last in the generation.

They could reveal a new sixth generation pokemon, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it will be the main star of the movie.

Have you been living under a rock for the last decade? It has been eons since the initially revealed Pokemon was the one, true star. A sixth generation Pokemon will be revealed, and it will be a main star.

Could you explain to me this pattern?

Ugh, explaining this is tiring. Here's how it works: December reveals a movie title; February reveals a new Pokemon whose name is added to said title. That's the way things have worked for generations.

It was "dieing" when Black and White came out as well. I don't see the "dieing platform" excuse as a reason to cut off the generation early.

You don't, but Nintendo does.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/ds/pokemon-black2-white2/0/0

BW2 were only approved because they did something different, and that excuse only flew earlier in the 3DS' lifespan. Pokemon on the DS is now over. The merchandise agrees. Last year: Kyurem movie merchandise is for the DS. This year: Episode N merchandise is for the 3DS.

I don't understand my adamant nature myself, but I just feel that the generation won't end just because a minority of players want to have Pokemon on the 3DS extra early.

It's not a minority of players. It's anyone with enough common sense to pay attention to what's going on. Oh, and "extra early"? No. By the earliest point Gen 6 could come out, it would still be the largest gap between new handheld and new generation ever.

So now we're going backwards in development?

No, we're going forwards. No remakes to drag out development and stall actual progress.

Eh, whatever.

I'll admit I'm wrong, mostly in the interest in getting on with my life instead of dwelling on argument.

I hope they release a Gen 6 silhouette in next month's Corocoro, then reveal its full identity in February's issue!

Can't wait to see what the next 2 mascots will be. Better not be Dragon type again.

I don't get where people get that we're entitled to a remake every generation. To me that just seems silly, cause by that logic we'll have a remake of Diamond and Pearl in like 3-4 years. Red/Blue and Gold/Silver needed remakes because the pokemon in them could no longer be transferred to the newer gens. Ruby and Sapphire can trade up just fine still. Ontop of that you can catch most if not all the ruby and sapphire pokemon in the new gens. Me personally i'm of the camp that disliked Ruby and Sapphire, they did some things right (version exclusive evil teams), and some things very wrong (removal of day and night cycles).

I'm also tired of hearing people scream the next games have to be for DS, I'm tired of pandering to DS owners. You've had two years, upgrade. I'm a student with no income other then financial aid currently, I still found a way to purchase both a 3DS and Wii U. It's called picking up odd jobs where needed, it's not as hard as people make it and simpler on those of us with limits for how we can spend our time then say a part-time job. There's plenty of great games for the system now to justify it's purchase. And a Pokemon game exclusively for it would make the system shine. Nintendo knows this, and it's from Nintendo that GameFreak get's it's yearly budget.

Gen 4 was stupidly long by comparison to the other gens, so I think 2013 for a Gen 6 release sounds about right. And I think it's time they add in both a Character Creation system, and 3D battles at the very least.

It wasn't the fans who decided to release/unveil the existence of all the event legionaries in the span of a year, nor was it the fans who have decided to conclude the Unova League badge quest within a few weeks. It also wasn't the fans who decided to release a second Genesect event with a third Shiny Genesect likely to be released this summer as a movie promotion.

Honestly, what do you think is left? RSEmakes? You accuse people of jumping the gun with saying Gen VI is coming, but RSEmakes are nowhere near as likely either. Unless you're expecting a full year of no new games and Ash staying in Unova exploring anime-only locations for an entire year.

Try using an argument that doesn't backfire when directed back at you. "Gen V won't last until 2014 because a fan says so, Game Freak can end it whenever they want". Yes, Game Freak can end the generation whenever they want. It doesn't mean stating that fact brings any form of legitimacy towards your argument.

Too be fair there is a chance that we WILL get a Gen VI Pokemon and still get a R/S remake next year... Munchlax and co were released at least a year or two before Gen IV was even offically announced... and how long did it take for B/W to be revealed after Zorua and Zorroark? Isay we WILL get Gen VI next year but really Gen V has been so unpredictable I don;t know WHAT to think... they literally turned the franchise on it's head...

and how long did it take for B/W to be revealed after Zorua and Zorroark?
Zorua and Zoroark were revealed two weeks after Generation V was first confirmed to be in development (and set for release later that year).

but really Gen V has been so unpredictable I don;t know WHAT to think... they literally turned the franchise on it's head...
I don't think you should consider remakes even as a remote possibility for next year, for the simple reason that TPCi ruled them out as being the first 3DS main series games:

Viktorsaurus Radermacherii: What will be different about the mainline Pokemon games on the Nintendo 3DS? In other words, how will the 3DS enhance the Pokemon experience and what can we expect? A new gen or a remake?

TPCi: While we cannot divulge any direct answers here, something is in development for 3DS that will incorporate the ability of the 3D on the console. It will be a new game - not a remake.
So the only way remakes next could be released next year is if they were developed for the DS. Basically, the exact opposite of Game Freak's promised evolution would have to happen - stagnancy. It's really unlikely and I don't see why anyone would want that.

Also, while a new generation may not be "unpredictable" in itself, it may very well lead to possibly unforeseen innovations far better than any Generation V game (especially a remake) would.

Last edited:

I don't understand why so many people are rabidly defending the idea of Gen VI as the only option; it feels a little quick for Gen V to be over already. True, the pattern so far has been to release a new gen every 3 or 4 years, so it is reasonable to believe that the next release might be as early as Sept. 2013, with teasers in February, but as each new gen has been released the gaps between them have gotten longer, with the only exception being DP-BW, which stayed the same as the gap between RS & DP (4 years).

With this in mind, I wouldn't be expecting a new gen until Sept. 2013 at least, perhaps even 2014 or '15. Remakes tend to occur right before GF stops releasing main series handhelds for that gen. Therefore, 2013 would be the perfect time to release an RSEmake, with a gen VI game in the following year like with HGSS. Or maybe even the year after in 2014 the way things are going, which would fit how Fr/Lg were released, especially if they bring out a third version/BW3, which also might still happen.

It should also be noted that the new PMD game is scheduled for release in early 2013, which the message could easily refer to. I also think it would be weird for GF to end Gen V now when not only a Gen V ranger game hasn't been produced, but no Gen V console game has been produced, even though it's a bit overdue, looking at the release record.

There just seems to be so much more left to do right now for them to skip over. Gen V would feel more like Gen 4.5 :/

It should also be noted that the new PMD game is scheduled for release in early 2013, which the message could easily refer to.

You know, because Nintendo Dream, a Japanese gaming magazine, would be sending out a greeting card from Game Freak regarding a game that's been out for the magazine's target audience (i.e., Japanese players) since November, because you know, a game not made by Game Freak is going to fulfill Game Freak's promise of "[doing] their best to work toward the next evolution of the Pokémon world" by localising a game for American audiences.

Obviously that's what the message means.

I also think it would be weird for GF to end Gen V now when not only a Gen V ranger game hasn't been produced, but no Gen V console game has been produced, even though it's a bit overdue, looking at the release record.

I know, its so weird for Game Freak to end the generation without third-party developers making sequels to games they've released in the past. I mean, that's probably why they took four years in Gen IV, you know, waiting for Pokemon Pinball DS to be released only to give in and finally release a new generation.

Though I am up for a WiiU console game that Game Freak actually develops.

Last edited:

There is some utterly transparent "I don't want Gen VI because I can't be arsed to buy a 3DS" going on in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom