• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Modern-style names for classic characters?

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
For those unaware, the Japanese version of Pokemon follows a simple naming scheme for (most of) its characters. Many of them are named after some form of vegetation. Trees, mushrooms, flowers, etc.

With a few exceptions (the professors, Benga, characters whose names were already English like Iris), the English (and other languages) versions ignored this in favor of naming characters based on the type of Pokemon they specialize in. Come Gen VI, the English names started incorporating the plant naming scheme like the original version in addition to the usual type pun. It's in my honest opinion that the English names started to get really bad around Gen V, almost as if they were running out of clever puns to use. I find the modern names much more creative, so it's a very welcome change.

So, I had a thought: what if pre-Gen VI characters had names that fit the modern naming scheme. The problem? I'm not a botanist nor am I creative when it comes to naming characters, so I gave up trying to brainstorm names fairly quickly.

So I thought, why not ask for help? Sounds like a lot of fun, doesn't it? The Bulbapedia pages have the names of the flowers the characters are named after, so check them out if you're interested.

The only name I could come up is Sophie for Misty.. Named after gypsophilia, the baby's breath.

Ooh this sounds like fun. I'm gonna do, of course, Wallace and Winona, because I'm very predictable.

Wallace
I tried using Behind The Name to look up names that sound similar to sparganium erectum (the plant that Wallace gets his Japanese name from) and came upon Spartacus, a name that, sadly, has nothing to do with water. Who cares? Wallace has a cape.

Winona
Nagiha (from Nageia nagi. Same case with the above)

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom