• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Monotype Teams?

Phosphene

Formerly SpinyShell
Reaction score
I was inspired this thread about Pokémon teams, specifically the part about a team of your favorite type, to make a post about monotype teams. The question: if you had to make a monotype team for every type (or, if all types are too many, make teams for a few types), which Pokémon would you put in each team? Legendaries and mythicals, as well as repeated Pokémon, are allowed.

i've always wanted to make a grass monotype team

venusaur
virizion
rillaboom
tangrowth
skymin
rotom-mow

i think that would be it. this would be an absolute disaster because of the number of shared weaknesses and probably no synergy between any one of the team members, but these are one of my favs, so...

I don't want to list teams for every type so I'll just list monotype teams of my top three favorite types:

Water: Lapras, Golduck, Swampert, Empoleon, Palkia and Primarina.
Fighting: Machamp, Heracross, Lucario, Gallade, Mienshao and Passimian.
Ghost: Gengar, Banette, Dusknoir, Chandelure, Trevenant and Mimikyu.

Our university Pokémon Society held a monotype tournament early in the year, each year, to determine who the society's Elite Four would be, with a final champion's tournament at the end of the year for both the E4 and anyone who beat them. By far my most successful team ever was Dark:

• Assault Vest Tyranitar
  • Sableye
  • Mandibuzz
  • Choice Band Crawdaunt
  • Greninja
  • Mega Houndoom

I went 12-1 in the qualifying tournament, beating both Bug and Fairy 2-0, and losing only to Dragon. That Tyranitar could tank Surfs, Dazzling Gleams and Aura Spheres all day, while Crawdaunt's Aqua Jet would punish anyone who had the temerity to try and sweep. Houndoom was probably the weakest piece of the puzzle, but the team honestly felt like it got through most matches needing only five members.

Last edited:
Oh boy...sometimes I spend time thinking on building different themed Grass-type teams as well as Poison-type, namely the first, going from a Flower theme with six between Roserade, Bellossom, Vileplume, Cherrim, Lilligant, Sunflora, Meganium and Venusaur to a more Ranger team where I'd use Pkmn more fitting for certain situations like Tropius, Ludicolo, Gogoat, Sceptile, Leafeon and Breloom...the more recent that I came up with was a Dark Forest with Serperior, Shiftry, Trevenant, Ferrothorn, Shiinotic and then Victreebel or Shiny Vileplume.
When it comes to Poison, I have a few Pkmn that I tend to like more than others and to be used by a Team Rocket member. I considered starting a B/W playthrough with this last backstory but ended up not doing because I'd like to do that in B2 but I won't delete my save file nor buy another game.

I like ghosts, so I'd make a full ghost team!

Maybe something like: Drifblim, Chandelure, Gengar, Aegislash, Gourgeist and Mismagius?

A grass-type team consisting of Bellossom, Roserade, Lilligant and Tsareena would also be kind of fun because of their elegant aesthetics.

Ghost
mimikyu.gif
spiritomb.gif
aegislash.gif
runerigus.gif
dhelmise.gif
marowak-alola.gif

Last edited:
Normal:
Purugly
Lopunny
Miltank
Zangoose
Stoutland
Linoone

I'd also probably add Gumshoos, Dubwool, Watchog, and Silvally as reserves.

Ice:
Glaceon
Froslass
Eiscue
Frosmoth
Alolan Ninetales
Jynx

Water:
Lapras
Vaporeon
Empoleon
Primarina
Lanturn
Milotic

For reserves they'd be Dewgong, Kingdra, Swanna, Gorebyss, and/or Suicune.

Dark:
Umbreon
Houndoom
Absol
Zoroark
Weavile
Honchkrow

Reserves would be Pangoro, Sharpedo, Obstagoon, and Mightyena.

Those are my four favorite types, with Pokemon I like from said types that makes up my teams.

Normal: Bibarel, Staraptor, Wigglytuff, Heliolisk, Mega Kangaskhan, Porygon-Z
Fighting: Hawlucha, Poliwrath, Gallade, Sirfetch'd, Mienshao, Mega Lucario
Flying: Hawlucha, Gliscor, Gyarados, Togekiss, Xatu, Salamence
Water: Azumarill, Swanna, Starmie, Lanturn, Swampert, Empoleon
Grass: Ludicolo, Tropius, Gogoat, Mega Venusaur, Rotom-Mow, Leafeon
Electric: Lanturn, Vikavolt, Stunfisk, Raichu, Mega Ampharos, Luxray
Fire: Talonflame, Mega Charizard X, Rotom-Heat, Arcanine, Chandelure, Volcarona
Ice: Lapras, Articuno, Avalugg, Mamoswine, Weavile, Aurorus
Rock: Aerodactyl, Aurorus, Omastar, Aggron, Tyranitar, Cradily
Ground: Swampert, Golurk, Flygon, Stunfisk, Sandslash, Nidoking
Steel: Empoleon, Skarmory, Metagross, Scizor, Magnezone, Aegislash
Bug: Golisopod, Araquanid, Vikavolt, Volcarona, Armaldo, Scolipede
Ghost: Jellicent, Golurk, Alolan Marowak, Aegislash, Gengar, Dragapult
Dark: Sharpedo, Hydreigon, Absol, Drapion, Honchkrow, Tyranitar
Psychic: Starmie, Xatu, Gallade, Mega Gardevoir, Mewtwo, Metagross
Fairy: Azumarill, Togekiss, Granbull, Sylveon, Alolan Ninetales, Mega Gardevoir
Poison: Crobat, Dragalge, Qwilfish, Roserade, Nidoking, Alolan Muk
Dragon: Dragonite, Kingdra, Latios, Garchomp, Mega Altaria, Dragalge

Since the Ground type is my favorite

Swampert, Mudsdale, Hippowdown, Excadrill, Flygon, Krookodile

Our university Pokémon Society held a monotype tournament early in the year, each year, to determine who the society's Elite Four would be, with a final champion's tournament at the end of the year for both the E4 and anyone who beat them. By far my most successful ever team was Dark:

- Assault Vest Tyranitar
- Sableye
- Mandibuzz
- Choice Band Crawdaunt
- Greninja
- Mega Houndoom

I went 12-1 in the qualifying tournament, beating both Bug and Fairy 2-0, and losing only to Dragon. That Tyranitar could tank Surfs, Dazzling Gleams and Aura Spheres all day, while Crawdaunt's Aqua Jet would punish anyone who had the temerity to try and sweep. Houndoom was probably the weakest piece of the puzzle, but the team honestly felt like it got through most matches needing only five members.

We had another monotype tournament this past year which I've just remembered - this time around, I went with Poison. Now, in Gens past this would be a... brave choice, but Poison's become more than respectable in recent years with additions to the roster and the generous distribution of powerful abilities. Furthermore, the event banlist left a rather glaring opening that I took full advantage of; see if you can spot it below:

- Assault Vest Galarian Slowking
- Galarian Weezing
- Toxapex
- Power Herb/Meteor Beam Nihilego
- Quiver Dance/Baton Pass Venomoth
- Nasty Plot Naganadel

So, obviously Naganadel demolished most things it successfully set up on, but Nihilego was a bit of a sleeper that managed to destroy several healthy teams. The defensive core could sit back and regain health just by switching amongst themselves (while also being immune to Toxic, mind), though in all but a single game Venomoth was a non-entity used to enable a safe switch by sending it into die against scary threats. I went 8-0, though with some fairly clutch moments against both a Dragon and an Ice team with ridiculous offensive potential (Psychic turned out to be a pushover).

I managed to beat Sword with an Ice-type team, consisting of Mamoswine, Vanilluxe, Frosmoth, Arctozolt, Froslass, and Glalie.

Mamoswine for the most part, but ultimately it was Arctozolt who got the final blow in against Leon's last Pokémon.

Steel: Steelix, shiny Mawile, Empoleon, Escavalier, Aegislash Togedemaru

Normal: Ditto, Porygon-Z, Snorlax, Bewear, Blissey, Stoutland
Fire: Flareon, Infernape, Volcarona, Marowak, Oricorio Baile, Arcanine
Fighting: Hitmontop, Sirfetch'd, Falinks, Lucario, Kommo-o, Gallade
Water: Vaporeon, Slowbro, Azumarill, shiny Quagsire, Empoleon, Cramorant
Flying: Cramorant, Xatu, Pelipper, shiny Altaria, Togekiss, Oricorio Baile
Grass: shiny Tsareena, shiny Vileplume, Amoonguss, Decidueye, Shiinotic, Ludicolo
Poison: Weezing, Nidoking, Toxicroak, Venusaur, shiny Vileplume, Nihilego
Electric: Raichu, Magnezone, Wash Rotom, Togedemaru, Boltund, Ampharos
Ground: Sandslash, Hippowdon, Flygon, Claydol, Steelix, Swampert
Psychic: Espeon, Wobbuffet, male Meowstic, Xatu, Slowbro, Delphox
Rock: midday Lycanroc, Nihilego, Rampardos, Stakataka, Coalossal, Relicanth
Ice: Glaceon, Ninetales, Lapras, frost Rotom, Sandslash, Eiscue
Bug: Heracross, Shedinja, Ninjask, Escavalier, Ribombee, Venomoth
Dragon: Altaria, Kommo-o, Dragapult, Flygon, Noivern, Duraludon
Ghost: Gengar, Chandelure, Mimikyu, Shedinja, Aegislash, Decidueye
Dark: Umbreon, Thievul, Weavile, Bisharp, Morpeko, Pangoro
Fairy: Sylveon, Togekiss, Wigglytuff, Azumarill, shiny Mawile, Ribombee

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom