• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

More Black and White English names revealed: Names of characters, Pokémon, more revea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: More Black and White English names revealed: Names of characters, Pokémon, more r

Why did Bel's name get changed to Bianca? Bel is a normal western name anyway. Heck, her name is relatively the same in German, Italian and Spanish.

Honestly, that's what I questioned. I don't get why we're the only ones who got it changed o_O

Re: More Black and White English names revealed: Names of characters, Pokémon, more r

Because while Cheren is a blank slate, and people won't associate it with anything other than "black," Bel/Belle is well known to mean "beauty" primarily (Beauty and the Beast comes to mind... [actually come to think of it, it's probably mostly due to BatB..]) and not "white."

Because while Cheren is a blank slate, and people won't associate it with anything other than "black," Bel/Belle is well known to mean "beauty" primarily (Beauty and the Beast comes to mind... [actually come to think of it, it's probably mostly due to BatB..]) and not "white."

Is that a bad thing?

Is that a bad thing?

It's just that the name has one very strong image/character associated. Especially compared to Cheren. Ask someone to name a Bianca, you'll get varied responses. Ask them to name a Belle and you'll get Belle from BatB. Then there's the whole Bella/Twilight thing. Then "Bel" based names have such powerful and singular images with them, it makes it harder for this character to stand out. Bianca makes her more noteworthy as far as people with that name goes. It's good for marketing.

Re: More Black and White English names revealed: More English names revealed

Cofagrigus is going to be a bit of a corker to decipher. I can see the "sarcophagus" donation; I just can't figure out the "rig" (or should it be "gri"...?). As in rigor mortis?

It's a combination of "sarcophagus" and "egrigious"

Dictionary.com said:
[ih-gree-juhs, -jee-uhs] Show IPA
–adjective
extraordinary in some bad way; glaring; flagrant: an egregious mistake; an egregious liar.
Archaic . distinguished or eminent.

Cheren sounds really girly to me, Like a French adaptation for Cheryl.

Bel had her named change! CHEREN'S THE ONE THAT NEEDED A NEW NAME! Cheren to Americans is a pretty girly name BUT OK NOA!

Well, it's not like you can go to Nintendo and TELL them that, can you?

Why did Bel's name get changed to Bianca?

When was the last time you've met someone with the name "Bel"? It's usually "Bell". As in "bella", "beautiful", etc.

I can see why it was changed in certain western countries. It portrays the same feel, but less subtle.

I'm still waiting for the protagonists, but I suppose we won't learn their names until the final week.

That is odd. Change Belle, but not Cheren. EVERYONE said Bel would Keep her name and Cherens would change.

They likely won't name the protagonists on the site. They never did it on the Japanese site. We will have to wait for the games and the Battle Subway data to find default names for the protagonists.

That is odd. Change Belle, but not Cheren. EVERYONE said Bel would Keep her name and Cherens would change.

That is the reason why they did it :D

Oh Nintendo, how you troll thee loyal followers.

Aw, I liked Bel..

Why the heck did they change Wargle? It was perfect! Braviary, psh...

And Fennel? What.

I agree with anyone who thinks that Fennel is a stupid name. Why couldn't they give her a normal, cutesy English name? D:

Here I was half-hoping that the localisation team would show us more of their stupid arbitrary name changes by having N's name changed to a different letter.
When was the last time you've met someone with the name "Bel"? It's usually "Bell". As in "bella", "beautiful", etc.

But her name wasn't "Bel", the way her name was spelled in Japanese was the same way you would probably spell "Bell" or "Belle" anyway since they're all pronounced the same, so saying "It's usually "Bell"" to a transliteration of "Bel" is a moot point. Bulbapedia just chose the name "Bel" because it was closest to the pun they were going for.

In any case, the reason why "Bel" was changed was already explained, it loses the white-pun in the English language where the name is usually associated with being beautiful.

Last edited:

Bel always reminded me of Southern-Bell, something that she does NOT look like. I actually like Bianca much better than Bel.

However, some of the Pokemon localizations are going to be a little harder to remember, let-alone pronounce correctly. D:

The "unofficial" names sound so god damn dreadful, crossing my fingers for fake! (Unphezant LOOOOL)

No comment, except I am glad that Cheren keeps his Wapanese name. Because knowing the way NoA can fuck things up... :eek:hdear:

I'm indifferent to the whole Bianca/Bel commotion. And the Wargle/Braviary. Both languages have great names. All the other translations are great, too.

Also, what's wrong with Unfezant? Maybe it's the U, we haven't had a Pokemon's name start with a U since Ursaring (right?), but I think people will appreciate these names more if they 'got' the pun/portmanteau. And really, I think Unfezant might be a combination of unpleasant + pheasant (bird). Though, I don't know how a peaceful dove would evolve into an unpleasant one..

Oh, I JUST got Elgyem! L-G-M, little green men, like what they called the alien dolls in the Buzz Lightyear cartoon. Beheeyem, though, is still a mystery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom