• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

More prototype Pokemon from Gold and Silver revealed

The June 99 sprites are the most interesting. It seems that the Pokémon that were the closest to making it into the final cut were Grotess, Madam, Tsubomitto, Norowara, Twins (whose sprite was completely revamped), Konya, Berurun, Plux (who apparently was meant to coexist with Heracross), Baririna, Betobebi (who has Slugma's spot, which gives the impression that it inspired Slugma in some way) and Warufu, through some of them could be another kind of placeholders.

It's weird that none of the 98 Pokemon made it to June 99, except for prototype Cyndaquil and Celebi (the latter being changed quite a bit). I'm pretty sure that most of them did exist in some form in 97:

Tajiri said:
Tajiri: We’re currently fine-tuning all the Pokémon we made. We designed more than 200 Pokémon for the first games, then whittled them down to 150. This game will exceed 200 Pokémon, but we already have over 350, which leaves me wondering which ones I should keep.

This implies that they were considering 200+ Pokemon in 97, then whittled them down to 100 by Spaceworld, but the sprites of an additional 51 made it to some 98 build (despite being missing from the Spaceworld build). I don't think that they created those 51 Pokemon after Spaceworld only to scrap them, but maybe that applies to a few? You might be wondering about the extra 49+ we haven't seen in any build. They're probably the 50+ Pokemon that didn't make it to Red and Green, of which we've only seen 39 (fewer if you don't trust the leaked backsprites).

I've just noticed Madame's GBC sprite. The colors are closer to Sirfetch'd's than I would have thought:
GS_990613_pokemon_front_195.png

Last edited:
This implies that they were considering 200+ Pokemon in 97, then whittled them down to 100 by Spaceworld, but the sprites of an additional 51 made it to some 98 build (despite being missing from the Spaceworld build). I don't think that they created those 51 Pokemon after Spaceworld only to scrap them, but maybe that applies to a few?

I've just noticed Madame's GBC sprite:
GS_990613_pokemon_front_195.png
Maybe they realized that there were only slots for the data of 251 Pokémon + the egg? Also, for some reason, I can only see Madame's sprite when I quote you. Nevermind.

They had to have known about the limitation, as it's pretty obvious and the number 100 is a round number that fits that limit. Actually, some hacks allow for two more Pokemon (I'm not sure why it can't be 255+egg).

The confusing part is why the 98 build contains extra sprites while the 97 one doesn't, but there could be any number of reasons for that.

They had to have known about the limitation, as it's pretty obvious and the number 100 is a round number that fits that limit. Actually, some hacks allow for two more Pokemon (I'm not sure why it can't be 255+egg).

The confusing part is why the 98 build contains extra sprites while the 97 one doesn't, but there could be any number of reasons for that.
Maybe some of the were unused, like the DP ones? I mean, I could check things out if I could see things closer (as in, with a playable build), but I don't think they'll be able to share that... right?

They could for the Spaceworld build, which doesn't have those sprites. Come to think of it, those sprites might not have been part of the 98 ROM, which hasn't been leaked. I guess they're like the scratchpad sprites, but more organized.

Seriously, BMGf? This story has been out there for two days now. Are we pretending it doesn't exist due to the illicit methods in which the files were obtained? I don't see how that's different than all the previous leaks...

Now, for those of you who really don't know, we have access to sprites from not only the Spaceworld 99 build of the games (only a few months prior to the final release, and yet...) but even from an early 97 build predating the famous Spaceworld 97 build.

View attachment 132858.

I can see some Pokemon in this being converted/being used as inspiration for other mons.
I can see some Wailord, Carvanha, Sharpedo, Popplio, Brionne, Primarina/Samurott, Whiscash, Cacnea, Skorupi/Drapion, Purrloin, Chatot, Mothim/Beautifly/Vivillon, Swanna.

I wouldn't say that. The scratchpad sprites imply that it was replaced by Forretress, which is not to say that they have anything in common.

It's time for more fanart (each artist's name is right below the relevant work):

View attachment 132988

JWNutz (all the above Pokemon names and types are conjecture/fictional)

View attachment 132989

Cactus-Senpai

Also some I've found for older discoveries:

View attachment 132990 Louminosus

dcdz5r8-f04d8a46-6864-410d-a0e6-568c6043c700.png
leparagon

Some of the "new" ones remind me of Yokai Watch in their zany concepts and yokai inspiration. I can't say I'm a big fan of those, but it's weird that Game Freak removed the stork from the generation that introduced breeding, and this hasn't been rectified since. "Skelattack" probably would have been one of the most popular fossil Pokemon to date, and a Rock/Ghost or Dragon/Ghost typing would have been sorely appreciated back then.
I believe that "Keelisk" was an early Lugia.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom