• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

More than four moves

Add a move slot?

• Bring it up to 5 move slots

Votes: 36 43.4%
  • Stay at 4

Votes: 47 56.6%

• Total voters
Re: Move than four moves

I'd say stick to four, one reason being that if you, for example, were battling a Ground type with a Flying type, the odds would be higher that said Ground type knew moves that weren't Ground type moves. Actually winning battles would be a great deal harder.

It's not hard to play through the game even if your team members have to know HM moves. Once you've gone through and completed the story, you can have your main team forget the HM moves and switch to an HM slave if you need to get somewhere that requires them.

Or, you can constantly carry an HM slave or two and switch Pokémon between towns, still leveling up all your team members relatively equally. Or just have less than six Pokémon on your team. There's a lot of options, but there's no need for a fifth move slot.

Hms aren't all that bad strength is a good STAB for Normal types
as well as the Surf And waterfall HMs for water types

the only HMs that would give any reason for a fifth slot is Rock smash and cut

Pokémon should be allowed to have more then four moves in the game, it would make it more fun to strategize

The too many HM thread made me think of this.

Say what? If the game did that, then specific pokemon would be unbeatable in wifi battles.

I would like less trouble trying to decide which moves I wanna ditch in-game (especially when it comes to HM-slaving), but at the same time, I can't help agreeing the battling portion would become more complicated (and poor Nukenin/Shedinja ain't gonna stand a chance if EVERYONE can just get one super-effective move on them... expect Kyogre to always carry Ancient Power with the limit increased). Arguably, the whole reason for the limit in the first place was due to technical limitations, but it hardly seems like the case now. Why not make it so you could "equip" four moves at a time whilst having other moves in reserve on a certain Pokemon or something? Or at the very least, give you a hell of an easier time re-learning moves you learned before, like in Mystery Dungeon (reusable TMs are a good start, but I'd really appreciate it if the games could remember what level you evolved a Pokemon with a stone rather than the re-learner simply accessing the evolved Pokemon's in-game set).

I don't think the HM's are that bad. Really the only weak ones are rock smash and cut. I personally would love to move it up to five. I could use the 5th slot to teach each of my pokemon an HM and use the rest for normal moves.

I've always liked the limit on moves (except when I was like 10 obviously). It allows for at least a couple STAB moves, a status move and an incidental move. But still it makes you think about what is important and really effective.
It's just one of those things about this game that I think are pretty much perfect, you know like STAB, effectiveness (although some match-ups are arguable at the least.), etc.
The problem here isn't the amount of slots, most people (myself included) have a problem with the HM's. But they're obviously here to stay.

Four moves is enough. The current system forces you to think strategically.

To be honest the main issue isnt the number of move slots but the fact that you often end up teaching hms to pokemon instead of moves. To be honest I think you should just get rid of HMs and just give out items such as an axe for cut or hammer for rock smash and have the HMs learnable as level ups and tms as some are quite powerful

I agree with everyone else. Having more than 4 moves would be a bad idea.

Sure, it may seem like a good idea to have more than four moves at once, but it would complicate things. The point in having only four Move Slots to work with is so that the player has the challenge of making them work. It seems like the games would be too easy with each Pokemon having more than four moves at once.

That would be awesome. D8 I'd love it, even if it was complicated as hell. I could give Esper his Thunderbolt back.

Terrible idea. keep it with four moves, it leaves some strategy in the game. Five moves would give far too many options.

Personally I prefer keeping four moves. Anymore than that, and the battles would really go complex. You got to be able to predict your opponent's moves after a while in the battle, so having more than 4 can really cause some difficulty in this part.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom