• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

More than four moves

Add a move slot?

• Bring it up to 5 move slots

Votes: 36 43.4%
  • Stay at 4

Votes: 47 56.6%

• Total voters

Garrett Givre

Fifth Gen for the Win
Reaction score
Pokémon should be allowed to have more then four moves in the game, it would make it more fun to strategize

The too many HM thread made me think of this.

Re: Move then four moves

It would make it less fun to strategize. Too wide movesets allow the Pokémon to wield more super-effective moves.

E: lol this is not bulbapedia i can not bold with triple apostrophes end of badly written text bye

less is more (strategy)
more is less (strategy)

What takes more strategy?

Having all the chess pieces? Or having the King, Queen, and Pawns?

no. Like everybody said it ruins strategies. We could give everyone rest and sleep talk, and battles would be pretty endless. Maybe reycle for everyone too, so everyone can abuse berries without wasting a valuable moveslot.

Maybe in a future 3D action/fighting game, but not with the Pokemon of today's gameplay.

If Pokemon would have more then 4 moves it would be so gay. The OU and Uber spammers would get a heart attack from seeing how many more hacked moves they can give their pokemon, plus there would be a lot of other changes in the games themselves. It would actually cost them more money and etc to add more then four moves and then change a whole bunch of other things. I don't like this one bit. I think a four moves on a Pokemon is great.

Hi guys, I'm Lucario and I am one of the top threats in the game with only Swords Dance, Close Combat, Crunch, and Extremespeed. Increase my moveslots so I can also use Ice Punch to send any Gliscors I face to hell as well.

Yeah more moves and Rhyperoir could basically take on anything even if it is weak to a lot and is usually KOd by grass knot. I agree about lucario though. If the game was seup right to handle more moves on a pokemon, this could work, but right now no. Guessing for more moves on a pokemon to work, stats on pokemon would have to be modified to compensate for all the number of moves a pokemon could use.

less is more (strategy)
more is less (strategy)

What takes more strategy?

Having all the chess pieces? Or having the King, Queen, and Pawns?

Its easy with only a few pieces. It takes more strategy to use all the pieces, you gotta know how to defend and offend opposing defence. But enough about chess. Pokemon should have more that 4 moves, but its to late to do that, cuz you would have to change a lot of other things in the game too

What if there were 1 or 2 slots just for HMs?

What if there were 1 or 2 slots just for HMs?

That would still give Water-Type (and some Rock Type and Normal) Pokemon a bigger advantage for STAB moves and other Pokemon for really powerful moves like Surf and Waterfall, hell even Fly. It's not really a good thing, but it would take GameFreak so much time and etc etc to put that in the games and with that a lot of other things would undergo a big change. It's really not worth it..it's been four moves for over ten years now..there is no need for that much of a change since a lot of good players can already come up with very excellent strategies with just 4 slots, plus being limited to 4 moves really makes the game more challenging, there is no point in my opinion to play a game like Pokemon(which is simple and easy AS IS) to make it even more simple.

only if you weren't allowed to use those moves in battle. Never ever. only then.

But then you could never use moves like Surf or waterfall in battle, unless you could put those HMs on slots that were for use in battle, the 2 HM slots wouldn't exaclty be a good idea that way.

But then you could never use moves like Surf or waterfall in battle, unless you could put those HMs on slots that were for use in battle, the 2 HM slots wouldn't exaclty be a good idea that way.

It wouldn't be a good idea either way. As I've said like 129289289358 times, one of the only actual sacrifices you make in the game is deciding what move to give up for something stupid like Rock Smash, or whether to give up a slot on your team for an HM bitch. The game would be much worse without it.

i always find a way to distribute the HMs on my team... surf and waterfall are no problem and cut is usually better than tackle at the begining. flash hasnt been a HM in a while. stregnth is actually decent ingame. fly is decent enough on a flying pokemon. rocksmash is the only one i cant handle usually. oh and defog.

Its easy with only a few pieces. It takes more strategy to use all the pieces, you gotta know how to defend and offend opposing defence. But enough about chess. Pokemon should have more that 4 moves, but its to late to do that, cuz you would have to change a lot of other things in the game too

Really? Okay, you try winning a game of chess without Rooks, Bishops, or Knights. Just try.

Trust me dude, four moves is going to stay. And frankly, it's all you need. I've seen a bunch of Youtube videos by this guy named Aquablade11, and sometimes, he doesn't even need 4 moves. There are videos of him going, "eh, I wasn't sure what to put in that last slot."

And I know a lot of other people who feel the same way.

For battles, more than four moves would be utter chaos, but I can't help but want it deep in my heart.
When I've really epic-ed out a Pokemon, and I'm choosing his moves purely based on how awesome the idea behind each move is, I always get so conflicted.
For my Mewtwo, what should I put in the last slot, Aura Sphere or Shadow Ball? They're both just such awesome things! An energy ball made of... Shadow! Or a sphere made completely out of your aura and spirit?
And when I play Battle Revolution, and I'm completely sweeping the enemy, it always gets so boring after I've run out of new moves to use.

Honestly, I'd like to try it. It definitely should not be implemented in the official games, but I wouldn't be upset if someone made a program that emulated the battle mechanics perfectly but allowed an extra move slot. I'd really be interested to see how it would effect battles.

Saying that it would be "too easy" or take strategy away would only make sense if your opponent was not also offered a fifth move slot. Yeah, it would make Lucario ridiculous. It would probably make a lot of other pokemon ridiculous too. The thing is, both combatants would have access to these ridiculous pokemon.

So yeah, in light of everything it would do to the game it's a terrible idea, but I'm curious to see what it would be like. I'll put it like this; I'd like to see it like I like to see something cool happen in the news. I just want to be like "huh, that's kinda cool," and move on with my life. I hope that makes sense.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom