• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

More than four moves

Add a move slot?

• Bring it up to 5 move slots

Votes: 36 43.4%
  • Stay at 4

Votes: 47 56.6%

• Total voters
Re: Move than four moves

You guys are thinking of it way too competitively.
When I think of any changes to the battling system, I first think about the ingame battles.
Sure, in competitive battles it would ruin the very carefully and well-thought out balance amongst all pre-planned strategies, but in the actual game, I think it'd just be amusing. Hell, the NPCs usually only use 2 or 3 of the moves they have anyways.
It would just open up more whoop ass upon the computers.
Now what's wrong with that?
Stop being such competitive no-fun-freddies and enjoy the novelties!
^_^

When I think of any changes to the battling system, I first think about the ingame battles.
Sure, in competitive battles it would ruin the very carefully and well-thought out balance amongst all pre-planned strategies, but in the actual game, I think it'd just be amusing. Hell, the NPCs usually only use 2 or 3 of the moves they have anyways.
^_^

So, we should get more moveslots because it'll make the main game easier...

LOLWUT.jpg

Seriously, if anything, we should make the main game harder.

^_^

Umm you do know if they did that they would have to increase some of the NPC's strength and stuff right? E4 would be really challenging because they alone already have strong Pokemon. So if you think it would make the game easier I beg to differ, plus like I said the 10 year old noob hackers would hax Pokemon so bad it wouldn't be even funny.

I think it would just create more problems.

I'm not even that competitive. I go with the flow the whole time. xD

But still. I was talking about competitive battling. I used to have a working Wi-fi signal, so I got in some battles, and Dig helped more than Earthquake would.

But still. I was talking about competitive battling. I used to have a working Wi-fi signal, so I got in some battles, and Dig helped more than Earthquake would.

Thats true, if your pokemon is not going to survive long enough to use Earthquake, dig is better, except when foe knows earthquake and you use it, not so helpful.

Wonder what a pokemon with 6 moves might be like in a battle with another pokemon with 6 moves? I am sure having a few extr moves seems stupid, but if all pokemon had 6 moves, it would work, it works with 4, so 5 would work. Make battling more interesting and it might rerank some pokemon from UU or OU etc...

Thats true, if your pokemon is not going to survive long enough to use Earthquake, dig is better, except when foe knows earthquake and you use it, not so helpful.

Wonder what a pokemon with 6 moves might be like in a battle with another pokemon with 6 moves? I am sure having a few extr moves seems stupid, but if all pokemon had 6 moves, it would work, it works with 4, so 5 would work. Make battling more interesting and it might rerank some pokemon from UU or OU etc...

Any pokemon with good attack and speed would be on par with Garchomp.

The problem with double-turn moves like Fly or Dig is the opponent knows exactly what you're going to do next turn, so your opponent can just switch in something that resists said move.

Anyway, on-topic.
As I said before, if Pokemon are able to have move than 4 moves, it's more or less fastest Pokemon wins. Imagine something like Alakazam. Unless the opposing Pokemon has high Sp. Def, it's suicidal to send it in against Alakazam.
Sure, somebody can switch in a counter, but it's going to take ALOT of guesswork to actually guess correctly on what Pokemon to send in.

Maybe one Pokémon with an ability that lets it have 5 moves, but poor stats so it can't go overboard with them.

Any pokemon with good attack and speed would be on par with Garchomp.

Well it would if stats on many pokemon changed, but if they remained the same and garchomp also had about 6 moves it could use, it would still be one of the top pokemon.

As I said before, if Pokemon are able to have move than 4 moves, it's more or less fastest Pokemon wins. Imagine something like Alakazam. Unless the opposing Pokemon has high Sp. Def, it's suicidal to send it in against Alakazam.
Sure, somebody can switch in a counter, but it's going to take ALOT of guesswork to actually guess correctly on what Pokemon to send in.

Well it could survive if it has focus sash or is it band? I think gengar would be pretty tough against too, maybe if it had:

Sludge Bomb/Shadow Ball/Psychic/Hypnosis/Curse/Thunderbolt it would be tough.

Wobuffett might have a little more of a range if it could not only learn the moves it does when evolved, but things like encore from wynaut.

Maybe. It would be useful to combine moves just like Ash in the Pokemon anime and the Pocket Special Manga characters.

IDEAS FOR MOVE COMBINING FEATURE
-Multiple move page
-Voice recognising for movement combining: E.g, "Pikachu! Evade and Thunderbolt!"

-Multiple move page
-Voice recognising for movement combining: E.g, "Pikachu! Evade and Thunderbolt!"

no. There have been multiple arguments here why there shouldn't be more then 4 moves, and that voice control isn;t going to work. Everybody has a different accent and stuff, and it would be motherfucking hard for Americans to change all the voice commands from japanese to English.

Sludge Bomb/Shadow Ball/Psychic/Hypnosis/Curse/Thunderbolt it would be tough.

Wobuffett might have a little more of a range if it could not only learn the moves it does when evolved, but things like encore from wynaut.

More like Shadow Ball/ T-bolt/HP Ice/Focus Blast/ Sub/ Explosion. That set you have listed is countered by CurseTar or Lum Berry Tyranitar as it relies on Hypnosis/ shaky accuracy. Also stuff like CB Bullet Punch and scarfed mons so Sub helps against them.

Wobuffet can learn Encore though. Not sure what you mean. With more than four moves, he would be broken even in Ubers.

New Move Slot?

I'd like there to be a 5th move slot because I have so much trouble deciding between moves for my Pokemon.

Last edited:
Re: New Move Slot?

That's a part of the strategy of the game. You have a limit so you have to think about which moves are best for which Pokémon. If there were 5 move slots, a ton of Pokémon would be uncounterable. It would throw the metagame out of whack.

I think that 1 more but only 1 more moveslot would be nice because there is always some moves that you can't decide if you want to take away or keep and besides that extra spot would be perfect for HM's. Only my opinion though :)

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom