• Hey guys! Have you heard? We now have popup
    Yes, Popups!
    messages for your forum posts. Learn more about it here!
  • To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.

Most annoying gym puzzles

Reaction score
Candice's puzzle drove me crazy. It took me 3 days to finally get to her.

Lt. Surge's also annoyed me because the switches would always reset if you didn't pick the right one.

Reaction score
Lt. Surge by far. I never really got the hang of navigating through his gym.

Bringing the Thunder
Reaction score
Lt. Surge is pretty bad because it's pure trial and error. Sabrina's ranks up there too, since all of the rooms are the same and there's virtually no indication that you're making any progress through the gym.

Back From The Grave
Reaction score
Any gym that use have to use a HM to navigate through, but Erika's gym in Crystal stands out more because at that point in the game I've gotten rid of HM's from my main team and so I have to use a lv 20 Raticate or whatever just to use Cut once -_-

Also any gym with those moving arrow things that make you go in one direction (Blue in SoulSilver, my god -_-)

Koga's invisible walls were a pain in the ass the first time I went into his gym, and Surge still irritates me.

Gen IVever and Always
Reaction score
I remember the Ecruteak Gym's floor back in G/S almost made me cry in frustration...

I still don't like Morty.

Bad at summoning people
Reaction score
Burgh's gym in the first versions (Black/White) made me want to pull my hair out because not only was it confusing, but the walls/doors/devices-of-torture of the gym made that stupid squeaky noise every time they moved to both murder my eardrums and remind me of my failures.

Bringing the Thunder
Reaction score
I remember the Ecruteak Gym's floor back in G/S almost made me cry in frustration...

I still don't like Morty.
I struggled with Morty's gym when I was a kid because the gym gimmick wasn't very clear until you battled a few trainers or two, but aside from that, it's not that bad a gimmick. And HGSS made it easier by showing some of the path instead of it being a plain black square of nothingness.

Gen IVever and Always
Reaction score
True, it's really not that bad. But none of the gym puzzles are really bad, imo.

The reason it had such a (horrible) impact on me was probably because I was still a kid.

None of the gyms' puzzles are challenging or frustrating now.

Though I'm sure if I was that young while playing one of the more recent Gens, I'd be pissed off about one of their Gyms.

Probably Candice's.

Ey b0ss
Reaction score
For me it's:

-Lt Surge's
-Sabrina's
-Olympia's

I dislike anything trial and error.

Started with Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Koga and Candice, her gym took forever, at least a few hours hahaha. The invisible walls in Koga's gym were annoying too (I had check to see if it was his or Sabrina's.)

Akira is an okay movie.
Reaction score
Koga's invisible walls were a pain in the ass the first time I went into his gym, and Surge still irritates me.
If you look carefully, in FRLG, at least, there are a few white pixels that blend fairly well with the floor surrounding the "invisible" walls, and using this, Koga's gym is a breeze. Lt. Surge's gym is about as fun as being punched in the face.