• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Most annoying gym puzzles

Cilan

Reaction score
Candice's puzzle drove me crazy. It took me 3 days to finally get to her.

Lt. Surge's also annoyed me because the switches would always reset if you didn't pick the right one.

Lt. Surge is pretty bad because it's pure trial and error. Sabrina's ranks up there too, since all of the rooms are the same and there's virtually no indication that you're making any progress through the gym.

Any gym that use have to use a HM to navigate through, but Erika's gym in Crystal stands out more because at that point in the game I've gotten rid of HM's from my main team and so I have to use a lv 20 Raticate or whatever just to use Cut once -_-

Also any gym with those moving arrow things that make you go in one direction (Blue in SoulSilver, my god -_-)

Koga's invisible walls were a pain in the ass the first time I went into his gym, and Surge still irritates me.

I remember the Ecruteak Gym's floor back in G/S almost made me cry in frustration...

I still don't like Morty.

Burgh's gym in the first versions (Black/White) made me want to pull my hair out because not only was it confusing, but the walls/doors/devices-of-torture of the gym made that stupid squeaky noise every time they moved to both murder my eardrums and remind me of my failures.

I remember the Ecruteak Gym's floor back in G/S almost made me cry in frustration...

I still don't like Morty.

I struggled with Morty's gym when I was a kid because the gym gimmick wasn't very clear until you battled a few trainers or two, but aside from that, it's not that bad a gimmick. And HGSS made it easier by showing some of the path instead of it being a plain black square of nothingness.

True, it's really not that bad. But none of the gym puzzles are really bad, imo.

The reason it had such a (horrible) impact on me was probably because I was still a kid.

None of the gyms' puzzles are challenging or frustrating now.

Though I'm sure if I was that young while playing one of the more recent Gens, I'd be pissed off about one of their Gyms.

Probably Candice's.

For me it's:

-Lt Surge's
-Sabrina's
-Olympia's

I dislike anything trial and error.

Koga and Candice, her gym took forever, at least a few hours hahaha. The invisible walls in Koga's gym were annoying too (I had check to see if it was his or Sabrina's.)

Koga's invisible walls were a pain in the ass the first time I went into his gym, and Surge still irritates me.

If you look carefully, in FRLG, at least, there are a few white pixels that blend fairly well with the floor surrounding the "invisible" walls, and using this, Koga's gym is a breeze. Lt. Surge's gym is about as fun as being punched in the face.

Vermilion, because the switches are chosen randomly.
Fantina in Diamond/Pearl, not because it is hard, but because it is boring.
Maylene in Platinum is rather annoying, too.

L.T. Surge's gym takes the crown for me due to it being purely trial-and-error. Not to mention the switches reset if you pick the wrong one, which only further made it annoying. I never quite got the hang of it.

Candice's gym takes second place as I hate ice physics in games. That took a while to figure out the first time. Plus, in the original DP (and their remakes) very few trainers in the gym actually use Ice-types, making the gym's type feel misrepresented (in fact, there were more Water Mons than Ice ones in their rosters, making it feel like a downgraded Water gym instead).

Olympia's gym takes the bronze. Like with Surge's gym I hate needing to use trial-and-error just to navigate something. Plus due to how the gym was designed made it hard to navigate. I know it was to show off the 3DS's "power" but it made it more confusing in the process.

As a kid, I had a lot of trouble with teleporters and elevator mazes. I'd spend a stupid amount of time running around in circles thinking I'd trapped myself.

Sabrina's was the worst. Even when LGPE simplified the puzzle I still got lost.

The ones where you move through floor levels (like Flannery and Byron's gyms) also tripped me up, since kid me couldn't keep track of where the elevators were located and how they were connected. Honestly, there aren't even that many ways to get lost in them, and I still managed to do just that. Like, the Lavaridge gym is only two floors tall, and the Canalave gym literally lets the player see the floor directly below them.

Also agree with the rest of the thread in that Lt. Surge's gym is stupid. It's not even a puzzle, just RNG.

What's wrong with Maylene's in Platinum? I actually thought that was an improvement, it was a more fitting puzzle for her gym.
It was, but I also found it more confusing than the one in D/P, which wasn't that great to begin with, either.

It was, but I also found it more confusing than the one in D/P, which wasn't that great to begin with, either.

I mean, the punching bags are all on tracks, so you can see where they're going. I don't see how you can get confused, it's fairly straightforward.

Only gym puzzle I have ever found annoying was Lt. Surge's gym puzzle since it's rng based, most other puzzle gyms can be a little confusing but usually doable after a few minutes.
Morty's gym could be a little irksome for newcomers but it is just memorizing the floor path is all.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom