• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Most clutch moments in your playthroughs?

Captain Save A Ho-Oh

Mods love me
Reaction score
That Pokemon/Move/etc that saved you from a brutal L or some other bad situation.

Few years back, I was playing Emerald and wanted to use a Nincada in this playthrough (not for Shedinja or anything haha lol) and went to fight Roxanne. I get into the fight and Roxanne is smoking me down. She crits my starter and I'm down to Nincada. Nincada doesn't have Mud Slap and is level 8 or 9, (Nosepass is level 15) so I'm thinking I'm about to take another humongous L. She hits Rock Tomb, and I live with half HP. To make a long story short my Nincada took it out with only Scratch, Leech Life and Struggle. That was a good day.

After I beat Pokémon Shield, I immediately jumped into the post-game story. This caused me to be slightly under-leveled for the final battle against Hop. That, combined with me preferring not to use Legendary Pokémon in my first playthroughs, made the battle way harder than it needed to be.

We were both on our last Pokémon, I can’t remember what they were, but I was locked in a stalemate, where he was damaging my Pokémon for almost exactly what I could heal. I knew that my last Pokémon couldn’t take a second hit, but his Pokémon had low health as well, so I decided to risk attacking.

As I feared, his Pokémon was faster and would have caused mine to faint, but my Pokémon ended up holding on with 1 HP due to high friendship, allowing me to get my attack in and win.

As I feared, his Pokémon was faster and would have caused mine to faint, but my Pokémon ended up holding on with 1 HP due to high friendship, allowing me to get my attack in and win.

This friendship mechanic of what basically is a focus sash has saved me on so many occasions too! The fact that your Pokémon has a turn where it would otherwise have been knocked out can turn the tides of battle quickly!

Same thing for me and my USUM playthrough. The number of attacks my Dartrix or Decidueye has survived so I wouldn't cry has truly made me proud. The fact that it happened during my champion battle made me all the happier and prouder.

Same thing for me and my USUM playthrough. The number of attacks my Dartrix or Decidueye has survived so I wouldn't cry has truly made me proud. The fact that it happened during my champion battle made me all the happier and prouder.
Same here. It even happened two-times straight in one battle.

My Ampharos from my latest Soul Silver save was anime levels of clutch two times.

First was against Lance, where she was my last pokemon against his last, Aerodactyl. After some full restores back and forth, I decided to risk it and attacked. She took a Rock Slide and survived with 4 hp before beating it with Discharge.

Second time was against Blue, where she somehow survived an Earthquake from Machamp with 1 hp and finished it off with Thunder. I love this sheepie.

When battling Leon in Sword my Inteleon (and my only remaining Pokémon) survived Charizard's attack with 8 HP and then won.

I did not play that battle particularly well but that gritty resilience won it.

In my very first pokemon game (heartgold) I challenged Morty, and I was feeling very confident. I had just taken out Whitney by evolving my Bayleaf into a Meganium, so I felt that I had no reason to lose. I was very wrong, the Gengar took out almost all my team with sucker punches and shadow balls, leaving me with my little Togepi all by itself. However, I didn't know that normal was immune to ghost type attacks, and that Gengar was weak to psychic type moves. About 10 minutes of chipping away with extrasensory, my level 1 Togepi defeated Morty's Gengar all on its own.

I remember one moment during my first Ultra Moon run. I was facing Kahili. It was my Incineroar VS Toucannon (Mandibuzz had already KOed Sveta the Dusk Lycanroc, who tends to deal with the Flying Mons for me). Meowzma managed to survive her Z-Move, but then his next attack missed, which allowed Toucannon to fire off Rock Blast. I thought that Meowzma was done for, as he was in the yellow. To my surprise, despite the fact that Rock Blast hit a total of 5 times, due to his affection being at max, he survived the attack at 1 HP THREE times. My boy Meowzma really showed his battling chops that day. His next attack won the battle. I was very proud of my heel tiger for his performance in that battle.

Years ago (2012/2013 maybe?) I was battling Tate & Liza on Emerald. My last remaining Pokemon was Gardevoir, while they still had Lunatone and Solrock up. My Gardevoir tanked their attacks by spamming Calm Mind until its Sp.Def was maxed out. I healed and kept using Thunderbolt until they were both down. I still remember this part because the match came down to 2 vs 1 lol.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom