• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Most disappointing Alola Pokémon?

zoroarctic

Reaction score
Thread title speaks for itself. Which Pokémon introduced this generation did you have high hopes for, only to be let down.

So far I've loved nearly every new Pokémon I've used with one exception: Togedemaru.

I was planning to use one for the main story until I found out it can't learn any Steel attacks except Gyro Ball through TM, and it's too fast to make use of it. You'd think it could at least get Iron Tail or something, but nope. GF really dropped the ball there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oricorio! Now don't get me wrong, I'll always love it, but the fact that it CANNOT learn any fire, electric, psychic, or ghost attacks really put a damper on its potential, and the only way it can even make use of their different typings is Revelation Dance. Granted, I know this is because they can change shape with the different colored nectars, but why even do that? Why not just make them separate entities and have them learn their own attacks? Y'know, like the two Nidoran?

Pyukumuku, hoped for the ability to make more damage, maybe the 100% of t original HP.
That would be better then that what we got: weaker Aftermath.
why could't they make it change type depending on the move you use?
Or dual typed? 1 type changes depending on your move, second type is aded after oponent hits you.
A teast its not too legendary.

Last edited:
Litten.

My reasons are two fold.

First is that it uses an already seen motif... the fire cat. Litleo was a fire cat, and one of my favourites. Litten just feels uninspired, honestly. Where as the other two starters are both original ideas.

Incineroar's design is unique however, I'll give it that... but the design just screams Fire/Fighting to me... and yet, Incineroar is fire/dark.

But other than that, I haven't really seen too many I'm disappointed in.

A few have confused me though... Like Dartrix. Did my Dartrix die when it evolved?!

Midday Lycanroc and to a lesser extent, Komala.

Lycanroc due to how shallow and unimpressive its movepool is as far as coverage goes. I mean when your best/only available options for coverage are the elemental fangs and Brick Break, you know something must have gone horribly wrong.

Komala mostly because I didn't expect it to be a standalone mon. Also the fact it currently has no access to the move Switcheroo was a bit of a bummer for me.

Oricorio! Now don't get me wrong, I'll always love it, but the fact that it CANNOT learn any fire, electric, psychic, or ghost attacks really put a damper on its potential, and the only way it can even make use of their different typings is Revelation Dance. Granted, I know this is because they can change shape with the different colored nectars, but why even do that? Why not just make them separate entities and have them learn their own attacks? Y'know, like the two Nidoran?

^^^^^^^^

I was so excited to use Oricorio Sensu until I found this out :(

Also really disappointed about PIkipek and Litten because of their evos.

The only one I have a significant complaint about so far is Midnight Lycanroc.

Counter is... certainly not "headline" worthy, and it doesn't offer much more than that.

If I have to be honest, its Oricorio to me. Its a very cute bird and I love the four different styles, but the fact that they all have the same movesets and all is a bit disappointing. They don't really learn any moves that you'd expect from a Fire, Electric, Ghost, or a Psychic type, besides maybe Rest. That's why Oricorio disappoints me. I'm sorry, Oricorio.

250px-733Toucannon.png

You know what I don't like about this thing? It's just a fucking toucan. That's it. They drew a real life toucan and made it cartoony. Seriously, it looks like someone took my mom's toucan and put it in the game. Older Pokémon actually had personalities to them. They had quirks that separated them from actual animals. This thing? It's. Just. A. TOUCAN.
I don't actually hate Toucannon - I actually really like its description - but I still wish we had gotten a Steel/Flying drill woodpecker like the Artleaka fake leak...

@Dustflier Tbh that's one of the reasons I love it. XD Like there's lazy designs, but then you get something like this that was almost certainly a joke for the developers and that just makes me appreciate it. If you look at practically every other Pokémon this generation they have lots of personality, so I can easily excuse this one design choice.

I'm kinda vacillating over Toucannon. I criticised Bewear for being a generic kawaii mascot design, and then Toucannon similarly has hardly anything to show that it's a pokémon. There's not even anything in the artwork which hints at the Pokédex entry. So I don't know, maybe it's because I find a more naturalistic design refreshing at this point ... maybe I just rather like unexpected evolutions, what with a woodpecker ending up as a toucan. Either way, I find myself feeling kind of amiable towards it.

Anyway, so far I think I'm going to go for Golisopod. It's reminding me too much of the waste of an idea that was Barbaracle (So should have been a barnacle evolving into a goose). It's trying far too hard to join the pantheon of badass pokémon designs and just has ended up looking like an obscure Dragonball extra

It's trying far too hard to join the pantheon of badass pokémon designs and just has ended up looking like an obscure Dragonball extra

Ha ha! That was my first thought when I saw it.

@Dustflier Tbh that's one of the reasons I love it. XD Like there's lazy designs, but then you get something like this that was almost certainly a joke for the developers and that just makes me appreciate it. If you look at practically every other Pokémon this generation they have lots of personality, so I can easily excuse this one design choice.
Yeah, true, but I still wanted a Steel/Flying woodpecker =P Also the main reason I made that post was to reference the "my mom's dog" meme.

Alolan Persian. I haven't used one yet, but I just don't feel the design. They could have done a lot with it but simply giving it a chubby face and dark fur was somewhat underwhelming.

I've used Alolan Persian in my team from the start. Fur Coat did wonders for it.

I don't blame those who said Toucannon cause I think many had high hopes for a Steel/Flying type, and for it to still be a woodpecker. Normal/Flying does get tiring after seeing it come up all the time. Talonflame was a nice change of pace, though unfortunately we got another Normal/Flying type.

To its credit, I think the way its beak glows red is pretty nifty. And, I personally was never expecting it to be a Steel/Flying type, so that wasn't a problem for me. And hey, it was a legitimately surprising direction for Pikipek to go in. Call me a Toucannon fan.

Kommo-o, Lycanroc Midnight, and Toucannon

I already felt it probably should have been a a steel dragon, but I loved the typing to much to care. But then when it actually comes out it barely has any good fighting moves? I was dreaming of using Outrage and Close Combat back to back, but now I think they really should have just given us a non legendary Dialga and saved the Fighting/Dragon pseudo idea for a real bruiser. Sucks cause not only are those my two favorite types, but I also just really love Komodo Dragons.

Midday Lycanroc and to a lesser extent, Komala.

Lycanroc due to how shallow and unimpressive its movepool is as far as coverage goes. I mean when your best/only available options for coverage are the elemental fangs and Brick Break, you know something must have gone horribly wrong.

You Midday Lycan fans got lucky. But poor Midnight...

Lycanroc is probably the worst disappointment since I love it so much design wise. It's not even dark type. Why is this thing not dark type?? Or any other type? It's a freaking evil looking wearwolf! It has a few good dark moves too. It's got Crunch, Snarl, Sucker Punch, and Bite. It almost looks like GF thought about making it dark but changed their minds last minute just to spite it.

Not to mention they tried to trick the poor thing into thinking Counter was a unique and special skill to advertise, and then didn't even give it the defenses to use it effectively. It baffled me back then reading them describe Counter on the website as if it was some fantastic new move we had never heard of and it baffles me now.

The only good thing about it is that it has No Guard. What can it take advantage of with this? Stone Edge. And that's it. Just Stone Edge. Stone Edge doesn't even have incredibly horrible accuracy! I've used it plenty of times before no problem and only rarely missed. Even with that they robbed this poor puppy like jeez! They did that dog wrong. I hate it.

And finally Toucannon. Like others have said and like I thought when I first saw it. It's pretty much just toucan. Lame. Lame, boring, and uninspired. I had much higher hopes for Pikipek. The only thing kinda neat about it is it's light show beak. But it's barely anything at all and almost feels like it's trying desperately to come up with something cool about it but only just barely manages to be mildly interesting. It's sad.

And Talonflame was such a ridiculously cool regional bird with an awesome ability too (and I didn't even like it much). At least Skill Link is a good ability but it's still lame. I ended up more interested in the middle evolution. Looks more like a natural evo of Pikipek. Wonder what it can do if anything.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom