• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Most disappointing Alola Pokémon?

lurantis is so screwed up. It looks like it would be fast, but in reality is slower than a purple mass of gunk. I'd be more okay with this if its other stats made up for this, but its defenses and special attack are only average. Its physical attack is fairly good and it has an okayish physical movepool for a grass type, but of course, these go to waste due to the fact that all it wants to do offensively is spam contrary leaf storm alongside what's literally its only special coverage move, hp fire/fighting/ground. I'll admit contrary is a great ability, even on a defensive mon such as lurantis, it's just irritating how badly it meshes with its movepool and stats, hopefully it at least gets superpower or something in the future. The only thing besides contrary it has going for it is access to defog. This isn't even mentioning in game, where you're forced to use a mon with a bst on par with spinarak's (which has better stat distribution than fomantis) until level 34. There's not even a reward for that, I feel like my ariados with an hp IV of 0 put in more work than my lurantis.

Guzzlord is another pokemon I like, though not as much as lurantis. All the other ultra beasts are raising hell in ou or are at least decent there, yet guzzlord's already dropped to bloody nu. It wouldn't have been hard to make it decent. Give it slightly better stat distribution, for one. 53 defenses are a bit cruel even with that hp supporting it, up those to like 67 or something. And base 101 attack on an 18 foot dragon with a gaping mouth filled with metallic looking teeth, scizor-like claws that are about as big as said pokemon's entire body, and a mace tail? Yeah, no, gamefreak, up that to like 113 or 127. And the most obvious solution, give it recovery. Slack off, recover, moonlight, just something.

Silvally is really similar to guzzlord in that it would have been very easy to make it decent. And it's a shame it's not, because I was looking forward to ou and uu having their own arceus. I'm not even bothered by the stats, 95 all around isn't really that impressive but it's workable enough. The two problems I have in mind are two things it lacks that the pokemon it's inspired by -- arceus -- gets and takes great advantage of. The first thing is how memory works. For some stupid reason, while plates boost arceus' stab by 20%, memory gives absolutely no boost whatsoever. So for all of its forms besides normal, we're left with a 90 bp stab attack off of base 95 attack. Yeah, that's not impressive at all. If memory gave the 20% boost like it should, it would at least pack a little punch. And the second problem is somefin I already mentioned with guzzlord -- recovery. I swear, if a mon's not grass, flying, or psychic type, they'll avoid giving it recovery like the plague. Arceus gets recover, why not silvally?

I really could go on, gamefreak failed miserably with how they handled a lot of the mons this gen.
Does anyone here even bother with Dewpider or its evolution? I thought it might at least be a good new water type, but the slow speed and low stats generally kill it.
water bubble doubles the power of its water attacks, which for some reason the ability description doesn't mention
That’s why you run it with a Choice Scarf.

I hate Tapu Bulu. The Taup I use the least, it’s design, typing, and movepool are the worst of the Tapu. If you want an offensive grass Pokemon, you should just use Kartana. It’s Fairy type goes unused because it can’t use Play Rough. A Poison move like Sludge Wave will 1HKO it because it’s 4x weak to it. It’s weak to 5 types and has no good counters to any, besides Poison, Steel and Ice, but Poison and Ice moves are common on other Pokemon besides those types.
scarf crabominable with a jolly nature only hits the equivalent of base 89 speed, 90 at lv. 50. In addition, its most powerful ice STAB (which you basically have to use, considering you're running a speed boosting nature with no boosting item) lowers its speed by one every time it uses it. It's not a good choice scarf user imo.

I don't see how bulu's fairy type goes "unused" just because of not having play rough, it still gives it various useful resists. And it hits a lot harder than kartana

252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 189-223 (55.4 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew in Grassy Terrain: 295-348 (86.5 - 102%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Tapu Bulu Horn Leech vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew in Grassy Terrain: 184-217 (53.9 - 63.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

that's in addition to having a sp. defense stat you can see without a microscope

Last edited:
1. How does a werewolf not have a Dark type. Werewolves are evil.

You're making Remus Lupin sad :(

I agree Midnight Lycanroc should've gotten Dark-type though, or a different second typing, just Rock is so lame :/

2. I wanted Alolan Marowak to be dead so that Cubone could finally see its dead mother.

It's Ghost-type... how much more dead do you want it to be?

You're making Remus Lupin sad :(

I agree Midnight Lycanroc should've gotten Dark-type though, or a different second typing, just Rock is so lame :/

It's Ghost-type... how much more dead do you want it to be?

Sorry Lupin. :(

Alolan Marowak still mourns it's dead relatives. Can the dead mourn the dead?
Maybe.

Here's more disappointing Pokemon (now including Alola Forms)
Alolan Sandslash: Crap speed even with Slush Rush and 4x weaknesses to both Fire and Fighting.
Alolan Marowak: It's signature move Shadow Bone is only accessible through the Move Relearner. Who's stupid idea is that?
Toucannon: After a Fire/Flying regional bird, we go back to a Normal/Flying one. What a disappointment.
Vikavolt: Crippling speed and you need to wait til the end of the game to get one.
Midnight Lycanroc: No Accelrock and a lackluster ability.
Guzzlord: Horrible defenses and speed plus a 4x Fairy weakness.

Last edited:
Here's more disappointing Pokemon (now including Alola Forms)
Alolan Marowak: It's signature move Shadow Bone is only accessible through the Move Relearner. Who's stupid idea is that?
Toucannon: After a Fire/Flying regional bird, we go back to a Normal/Flying one. What a disappointment.
Vikavolt: Crippling speed and you need to wait til the end of the game to get one.
Midnight Lycanroc: No Accelrock and a lackluster ability.
Guzzlord: Horrible defenses and speed plus a 4x Fairy weakness.
Don't forget Alolan Sandslash with 4x weaknesses to both Fire and Fighting as well as crippling speed even with Slush Rush.

Honestly, I think it's a bit petty to write off a Pokemon as disappointing because of one negative trait. Every Pokemon's supposed to have its flaws, and one low base stat or a double weakness shouldn't completely write off a Pokemon. (double weaknesses especially IMO-there's a lot of diversity in type combinations, they shouldn't be skipped over just because of a weakness that can still be avoided)

Alolan Sandslash's typing gives it a resistance to eight types and an immunity to one-and with a base defense of 120, it can make pretty good use of it.

Having to wait a bit for a signature move makes one Pokemon disappointing? Better not mention that to the Pikachu line-Volt Tackle was a breed-only move until SM. And Marowak still gets plenty more physical moves until you reach the reminder-including two other signature moves. (Plus, three immunities, and one immunity that extends to its teammate in a Double Battle?)

Toucannon also gets Beak Blast-a Flying move that can inflict burn. Pretty fantastic for dealing with physical Dragon attackers-the only other moves that could give an unresisted burn are Fling (one-time use, would require burning the user as well), Psycho Shift (requires the user to be burned) Ice Burn (the sig move of a legendary), or Tri Attack (a 6.67% chance). And Fire/Flying also has a double weakness to Rock -it's a bit of a case of "throwing stones in glass houses", don't you think?

There are only two Ultra Beasts that don't have a double weakness, and every one of them has gimmicky stats-why single out Guzzlord?

I do have to agree on Vikavolt and Middnight Lycanroc, though. For such a long wait, Vikavolt doesn't have much of a payoff, losing a sig ability and barely getting faster. There's still a lot I like about it-nice movepool and special attack, very few weaknesses-but there was definitely way more buildup than it deserved. And Middnight Lycanroc is practically "Cooler-looking Midday, but you lose the good stuff". Why give only one form a signature move?

There are only two Ultra Beasts that don't have a double weakness, and every one of them has gimmicky stats-why single out Guzzlord?
Consider it only has one high base stat(HP) and everything else barely makes it worthwhile: bad defenses and attacking stats, and a bad movepool

• Crabrawler. I was all ready for this guy to be a half-decent, maybe Heracross level single-stage, or maybe to evolve into something awesome. But no, it goes and evolve into something that looks, honestly, terrible.
  • Lurantis: I was all ready for this thing to be some kind of awesome Physical sweeper, but no, it's way too slow and frail to do anything.
  • Salazzle, oh dear god Salazzle: Not only am I not a fan of the design, it's completely backwards from what you'd assume something with Corrosion to do. I was all excited to get a Salandit, and evolve it into some awesome komodo dragon bulky wall type thing, but instead you've got a 1/8 chance to even evolve the thing (yes, I get it from a thematic standpoint, but from a practical standpoint, it's just awful), and it's nothing like I expected. Why do you even put Corrosion on a Pokemon who can just sweep, with supereffective STAB, the very Pokemon the Corrosion is supposed to get around. I know it's a great Pokemon, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
  • I would say Pallosand, but I'd lost hype on that thing before the game even came out.

Toucannon also gets Beak Blast-a Flying move that can inflict burn. Pretty fantastic for dealing with physical Dragon attackers-the only other moves that could give an unresisted burn are Fling (one-time use, would require burning the user as well), Psycho Shift (requires the user to be burned) Ice Burn (the sig move of a legendary), or Tri Attack (a 6.67% chance). And Fire/Flying also has a double weakness to Rock -it's a bit of a case of "throwing stones in glass houses", don't you think?
Personally I read it as "After finally getting creative with the route 1 bird's type, we're back to bland old Normal/Flying (which is my opinion on it too). Plus I'm fairly certain its stats are garbage.

What Psyclone said. The others at least have a group of stats to gimmick on, and a movepool to go with them. Guzzlord doesn't.

Personally I read it as "After finally getting creative with the route 1 bird's type, we're back to bland old Normal/Flying (which is my opinion on it too). Plus I'm fairly certain its stats are garbage.
I get the annoyance of having a repeated type combination. (God knows we've suffered through enough Fire/Fightings that everyone should be able to understand that on some level) I was just pointing out that when Talonflame's type combination (which has a double weakness) was a refreshing change of pace, it doesn't make sense to gripe about other Pokemon having double weaknesses.

The different type combinations of Talonflame, Guzzlord, and Alolan Sandslash all contributed to more creativity type-wise. (Arguably moreso with Guzzlord and Sandlash-Fire/Flying was already done with Charizard, Moltres, and Ho-Oh, but Dark/Dragon was only done with one line, and Ice/Steel with no other) So why list one as a positive quality and the others as negative when they all bring the same thing?
Plus I'm fairly certain its stats are garbage.
120 base attack is nothing to sneeze at-Toucannon's right up there with Blaziken, Hariyama, and even origin Giratina and Arceus in that regard. (none of which have a higher Special Attack)
What Psyclone said. The others at least have a group of stats to gimmick on, and a movepool to go with them. Guzzlord doesn't.
I wouldn't say Guzzlord is totally lacking in that-there's still Stockpile+Swallow or Rest, and plenty of decent attacking moves in its movepool-but I can definitely see how it's lacking compared to the other UBs.

Vikavolt, since they gave it such terrible speed after describing it as something that flies around at high speed. And as much as I like Decidueye (third favorite Pokémon of all time behind Scizor and Greninja), I'm still baffled as to why they gave it such mediocre speed.

TBH, it's like they tried to screw over most of the Pokémon that weren't UBs, Cosmog evos or the friggin' Tapus.

I was put off by Salazzle's design initially (and am still not that fond of it), but I wouldn't call it a disappointment ... just something that didn't translate well when it left Japan.

My big two disappointments are Toucannon and Incineroar. Coincidentally, both of them are final forms slower than their midforms. Granted, Toucannon hits like a Staraptor and Beak Blast is no joke to mess around with, but I just don't like its design. And Incineroar ...

...nope, not going there today.

I have the sudden urge to copy and paste the "my mom's dog" rant/meme someone on /vp/ went on about Herdier and make it about Toucannon, even though I like Toucannon.

Really, I like most of the Alolan Pokémon, like how I like most Pokémon in general. However, I have mixed feelings about the Tapus; I'm fond of them, especially Tapu Koko, but I'm not fond of how they've become even more metagame dominant than the Doruses (even though Landorus-T is still number one on OU, lol), and I'm especially not fond of how Tapu Lele is the main reason my all-time favorite Pokémon Scizor got kicked down into UU (it doesn't help how it's such a pain to grind through the Battle Tree to get Scizorite is, to the point I haven't even bothered). I want to see Gen VIII introduce some sort of Pokémon with a "Terrain Breaker" ability just to screw with the Tapus.

I'm also slightly confused about how Pikipek turns into Toucannon, I mean how does that logic even work? I was all geared up for an awesome Steel/Flying beast of a woodpecker, and I got your normal everyday Toucan (with a fuse tail).
Shive_What_small_45.jpg

Huh, didn't know that one. Still feels like a weird-ass evolution though.
Yeah, true. And I was hoping for a Steel/Flying drill-beaked woodpecker, as well, so I guess I could consider Toucannon kind of a disappointment for that fact.

Still, the most disappointing evolution for me ever was Spritzee evolving into Aromatisse, since I was hoping for a kickass Fairy/Poison plague doctor.

Mudsdale- hoped personally for sap sipper , water absorb and thick fat ability; to make it hard to predict against water, grass and ice ; and with move muddy water. But its defense capabilities are neat, but only on physical side.

Pallosand- hoped for water absorb.
water compaction should have rise both defense and special def stats , half the water type damage and also activate during rain every turn.

Wanted this generation a ground priority move version of fake out based on sand tornado(Pallosand) and a sand(ground) version of batton pass mixed with illusion to prevent your oponet of knowing what pokemon he battles next till he hits it.

Vikavolt- the speed ehh, atleast it got Agility, maby we will get a electric version of flame charge next generation.
Hoped for a canon bettle with this typing a special tank dual wall with this typing and with the Mega Launcher ability, but maybe in future.

Toucannon- should have been steel/flying but maybe next generation.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom