• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Most Disappointing Evolution?

Slaking. It may be incredibly powerful, but the ability Truant is frustrating as hell.

Hmm.. I'm not really a big fan of Tangrowth and Lickylicky since I generally think, that their designs could be better. They also look kind of clumsy too, and I personally like their pre-evo better although I don't really care too much about them either, hehe :p

Also Poliwrath and Dugtrio is very dissapointing due to their lack of creativity. Poliwrath gets a mad expression in its eyes, while its mouth becomes less round as well as bigger hands. That's basically the difference between Poliwhirl and Poliwrath. Dugtrio is basically three Diglett which isn't creative at all from my point of view.

Wormadam

Just... ugh. I'm not a fan of Burmy at all but this thing takes it a step further.

Wormadam has excellent secondary type choices in trash cloak and even sandy cloak, (plant cloak is a bit dodgy defensively to say the least), but even that doesn't save it from losing a useful ability and replacing it with one of the worst.

Slaking. It may be incredibly powerful, but the ability Truant is frustrating as hell.

I don't evolve the Vigoroth i want to battle with, just the one to fill the dex entry. Vigoroth + eviolite = more success than Slaking.

You know...I was going to put just one pokemon at first...but then I remembered more of them that I hate, most of which based on looks.

All of the fourth Gen evolutions for second Gen pokemon (Rhyperior, Tangegrowth, Magmorter, Electivire, Lickylicky) with the exception of Yanmega half the time. Namely, my hatred for these ones are the actual design being unpleasant to look at (those previously enclosed in parenthesis). I also don't like them because I don't feel they really add much of anything to the evolutionary lines previous established. For example, Lickylicky looks like he's actually evolutionarily inferior to Lickitung as he looks like he'd fall over sooner than do something and the same with Tangegrowth. It was nice to try to add something to those two as they had no other 'family', but it didn't work out very well. Yanmega has a coolish design, but sometimes I just...don't like it for some reason :/

Diggersby. It went from a cute little bunny to an ugly rabbit with added weaknesses. I refuse to have one aside from to fill the pokedex entry. The only benefit of evolution is STAB on moves like Earthquake and immunity to electric types, and that's easily outweighed by the added weaknesses to water, ice, and grass.

Purrugly. Also for being super ugly. I mean, it didn't even get another type either! Sure, Diggersby isn't very good for that reason aside from aesthetics, but I dunno...something to explain the sudden change...

Chespin to Quilladin and then to Chesnaught. Kinda the same reason as previously stated with looks. However, I don't even like using Chesnaught much. Compared to other Grass types, there are others with much better learnsets and appearances. I mean...he looks like an old man crossed with a turtle... And then there's the fact that he's got like six different weaknesses, one of which doing 4x damage (flying)... It's like how depressing Torterra's weakness to ice was, but I still like Torterra's design better, mostly because he's supposed to look like a turtle.

Oh! Got one that's kinda circumstantial! Cascoon/Silcoon! My only complaint is not with the pokemon themselves, but the seemingly random chance of which one your Wurmple will evolve into. Why not just make a Wurmple evolved during day becomes a Silcoon and a Wurmple evolved during the night becomes a Cascoon? Why such a random evolution thing?

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's more that I'm forgetting at the moment.I'll probably think of one later and be like 'Ugh! Why didn't I think of that ten minutes ago?!' lol

I love Aimpom because of it's field move uses and it's pick up ability......um, and it's a really cute poke. x)
-But god, I hate the shear ugliness of Amibom! ><

I've never been crazy about Camerupt, seeing as Numel is so darn cute. I'm hoping for a mega evo in ORAS to change my mind though.

Sharpedo and Swellow. Their sprites looked awesome, a badass shark and large bird, but then you see them in 3D and it's half a shark and something that's barely any bigger than a Pidgey.

Staryu to Starmie, Doduo to Dodrio, Voltorb to Electrode

Almost no change between the two stages.

----------

In terms of statistical disappointment: Pretty much all the early stage "bird" pokémon. Unfezant and Starraptor are exceptions.

If you ask me, Starraptor is the best early stage bird pokémon with its surprisingly high attack and speed for such an early stage pokémon.

How about Wurmple into either Cascoon OR Silcoon, THEY ARE THE SAME BLOODY THING WITH NO DIFFERENCES and near their eyes. Other then that, there is NO Change

I wouldn't really say it's the most disappointing evolution, but don't really like Braxien all that much. Like some others, I also didn't want the line to end up bipedal, but I actually really like Delphox and it's my favorite Kalos starter evo. But Braixen made the initial evolution worse based on how overly humanoid it is. It's skinny ass white arms and black legs look so weird to me. I really feel that I'd like Braxien more if it had remained a quadruped like Fennekin and then went bipedal for Delphox. I definitely like Delphox more than Braixen since they gave it more animal-like features like long furred arms with small, clawed hands and feet.

Diggersby was also a real disappointment. I initially didn't care much for Bunnelby until I saw it in the anime and later began to find it pretty cute. But then I found out that it evolves into that hideous abomination. Why? It's English anime voice is rather funny though, so I'll give it that. But it's still far too ugly.

Lastly, Pignite and Emboar. For pretty much the same reasons as all of the above. A cute little quadruped pig becomes a fat-ass, ugly hog with the same type as the last 2 fire starters. Major disappointment there.

It seems I forgot another one of my least favorite evolutions. In addition to these above, I cannot stand Purugly for the same reasons as above. Cute little Glameow becomes this huge, ugly-ass, fat monster. And I hate what they did with the tail putting it around its stomach. This thing is the reason I never evolved my Glameow in one of my Pearl playthroughs.

Surskit is plain awesome. I mean, it's a friggin' water strider, what's not to like? AND it has a unique type combo! But then it evolves into Masquerain, a horribly generic Bug/Flying Pokémon. Seriously, do water striders even turn into moths? I really hope GAME FREAK fixes this someday by making a water strider Pokémon evolve from Masquerain or split evolutions and give Surskit a good evolution.

Poliwrath. When i first played pokemon leafgreen, i thought my poliwhirl was going to evolve into a frog. But after i used a water stone, it turned into a buffer Poliwhirl..

Doduo ---> Dodrio.

A two headed bird becomes a three-headed bird. And they both aren't even that useful in battle.

Lickatung ---> Lickilicky. What the fuck actual!? It was sort of cute as a Lickatung but its a abomination as Lickilicky.

Design wise, Florges is a huge step down from Floette. Gothitelle is also sorta meh while I like Gothorita's design, though the former has grown on me a bit. Besides those two, nothing comes to mind.

Diggersby. It went from a cute little bunny to an ugly rabbit with added weaknesses. I refuse to have one aside from to fill the pokedex entry. The only benefit of evolution is STAB on moves like Earthquake and immunity to electric types, and that's easily outweighed by the added weaknesses to water, ice, and grass.

Purrugly. Also for being super ugly. I mean, it didn't even get another type either! Sure, Diggersby isn't very good for that reason aside from aesthetics, but I dunno...something to explain the sudden change...
Not going to comment on the design comments (I love its design myself), but that's not good logic at all regarding you calling its ground-typing bad. Ground is a great STAB to have. If you don't agree with that, have it fight some steel, rock, and ghost types without Earthquake and see it that changes your mind. Also, it's a great Pokemon, with Huge Power raising its attack to roughly base 160. That's about as huge as Rampardos'.

I think Dragonite is adorable!
One that really bothers me is Slowking. I understand why he exists and all that, but why did Slowpoke need a smart evolution? I rather like the dorky, adorable look that Slowpoke and Slowbro have.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom