• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Most Disappointing Evolution?

I was pretty disappointed with Servine the first time I played White. Typically I always pick the grass-starter, but once my Snivy evolved, I just couldn't bring myself to use him anymore, and ended up restarting the game with Oshawott.

Diggersby. I mean, seriously, you go from an adorable little bunny to a butt-ugly, rabbit-themed parody of the fat construction worker stereotype. I was expecting something along the lines of this fanart I found.

also, this wasn't the first time they made that blunder, we all know Lopunny. Like Bunnelby, Buneary is pretty cute, then it evolves into a Playboy Bunny, in a game where the Daycare guy acts like he have no Idea where Eggs come from because the Censors don't want sex in the game. When compared to other Sexy Fan Art Fodder like Gardevoir, I would say Lopunny is much worst just because it seems so Intentional.
While on Subject, Diggersby tho kinda have a perverted expression on his face, maybe there is some sort of relation with Lopunny

Last edited:
Dragonite - I wish it was an alternate evolution. I like Dragonite in his own but I think he'd be perfect for an alternate evolution, not for a mainline evo. I wish Dragonair's design was continued. :/

Purugly - It has ugly in the name. Does it even need explaining?

Dugtrio - Why is this even an evolution? It's just 3 Digletts together! At least Magneton actually fuse together and later become Magnezone, which is my favorite Electric-type.

Goodra. When I first saw Goomy evolve into Sliggoo, I was excited. Those green eyes looked creepy because the dex says it can't see - but that was what I liked about Sliggoo. It looks like it's a creature from a horror sci-fi movie - which is super awesome. But when I saw Goodra... I was disappointed. It looks just... dopey. So uncool :/

Magmortar, Electivire, and Rhyperior all rub me the wrong way.

But I happily have Magmar, Electabuzz, and Rhydon on my HG team.

Alakazam. :( Kadabra looks cool, but Alakazam ... doesn't look as cool. The coolness factor is supposed to go up with the evolution. :mad:
Another one is Raichu. It looks like an over-fed, less cute version of Pikachu.

I didn't like Emboar's design when I first saw it, thinking Pignite would go in a different direction. I've warmed up to it now, though.

Goodra. When I first saw Goomy evolve into Sliggoo, I was excited. Those green eyes looked creepy because the dex says it can't see - but that was what I liked about Sliggoo. It looks like it's a creature from a horror sci-fi movie - which is super awesome. But when I saw Goodra... I was disappointed. It looks just... dopey. So uncool :/

I think it looks like Barney the Dinosaur if he started melting.

Siesmitoad. It is still cool but I would prefer Palpitoad family as a two-stage instead of three stage. Then Palps could have better stats too.

Delphox, it's pretty much exactly what I wanted the Fennekin line to not turn into. Awkward uncanny valley proportions just make it look...off, like a person wearing a fox mask. A bad typing and shallow movepool don't do it any favours either.

Oh Dragonair, you were so slender, graceful, and majestic... I have no problem with Dragonite, but I loved Dragonair's design too much to let it evolve. >.<

Alakazam. :( Kadabra looks cool, but Alakazam ... doesn't look as cool. The coolness factor is supposed to go up with the evolution. :mad:
Another one is Raichu. It looks like an over-fed, less cute version of Pikachu.

Oh yeah, that's definitely a top one for me. Kadabra looks a lot more final stage than Alakazam (aside from the single spoon). They really ought to have swapped the designs.

SAMUROTT DEAR LORD I HATE YOU.

Oshawott had me ecstatic, I love otters, it's adorable, I really love Oshawott. Dewott was even better - still lutrine, but sleeker and a nice middle evolution. But then they took my darling Lutrinae and spoiled it with a nasty-ass sea lion. Nevermind my aggravation that otters are not seals in any way, that thing is ugly as all hell. Revolting conch-horn-unicornwannabe thing on its head, ugly plating on its legs, and it went from looking like a swift ninjotter to a quadrupedal nightmare. Poorly designed splayed tail, the horrifically unnecessary mustache, and its gait. Uuuugh so terrible, it looks like its shoulder and hip joints are in constant pain due to that 45° gait it has.

I evolved my Dewott for the Pokédex entry and quickly deposited it, I cannot stand the way it even looks in battle. I was hoping XY's beautiful 3D models would make it bearable but I still grimace when that abomination of fur and shells appears on my screen.

I'll agree with all those who already mentioned Purugly. I love the sleek design of Glameow, so it's kind of disappointing that it has to evolve into such an overweight cat.

And while I don't really have much against Clefable, Wigglytuff, and Azumarill, I don't really find them as appealing as Clefairy, Jigglypuff, and Marill. I don't know what it is about me finding the round ball-shaped Pokémon more appealing than when they evolve into rabbit-like Pokémon.

Delphox would be my pick. Fire is my favourite type, but I wasn't very enthousiastic about Fennekin at first because I prefer bipedal Starters (with a few exceptions). So I WAS hoping it would evolve in a bipedal kickass Fire Pokémon so it could redeem itself for me...... and then I saw Braixen. It's not that I want starters' evos to be very manly and tough, but Braixen is too feminine for my taste. And then it became even worse with Delphox whose design as a whole doesn't please me AT ALL. It currently lists as my least favourite Starter line and Braixen and Delphox are some of my least favourite Pokémon.

So after all, ironically enough, I wish Fennekin had stayed on the quadrupal path....

Delphox would be my pick. Fire is my favourite type, but I wasn't very enthousiastic about Fennekin at first because I prefer bipedal Starters (with a few exceptions). So I WAS hoping it would evolve in a bipedal kickass Fire Pokémon so it could redeem itself for me...... and then I saw Braixen. It's not that I want starters' evos to be very manly and tough, but Braixen is too feminine for my taste. And then it became even worse with Delphox whose design as a whole doesn't please me AT ALL. It currently lists as my least favourite Starter line and Braixen and Delphox are some of my least favourite Pokémon.

So after all, ironically enough, I wish Fennekin had stayed on the quadrupal path....
Almost every starters end up being masculine. Is that so hard to think about a feminine final-stage starter? Swampert looks way more aggressive and masculine than compared to Delphox's femininity. I think it's good to have some designs like that.
Like I said, Starter evos don't have to be manly and tough to me. To me, a good design (in most cases then) is one that looks gender-neutral. Not too masculine, not too feminine. Braixen and Delphox are way too feminine-looking in my opinion (but that's not the only reason I dislike them, just their whole theme and overall design I don't like), just as there are Pokémon that look too masculine in my opinion.

But what's feminine looking and what's masculine looking is different to everyone.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom