• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

most forgotton pokemon?

GaryOak123

Reaction score
wasn't 100% were to put this thread but here seems ok. what in your mind is the most forgotton pokemon in the game? for me it would have to be paras or maybe barboach, i don't remeber ever seeing them in games or the anime except the one focus episode paras got but that was a long time ago, so who is the most forgotton pokemon?

Hmm...

1. Raichu: It's perpetually overshadowed by both of its smaller, "cuter" pre-evolutions, one of whom is the franchise's mascot. The fact that it's not all that stellar in battle and is plagued with sprites that make it look like a fat bully doesn't help. (Electric/Fairy Mega, please. Hey, I can dream.)

2. Lickitung/Lickilicky: Ugly designs with mediocre stats and bland typings. Very forgettable.

3. Tangela/Tangrowth: See above.

4. Seel/Dewgong: Rather generic designs with bad stats and typings. They haven't exactly made many notable appearances in the games and anime, either.

5. Bonsly/Sudowoodo: It's only remembered for being a roadblock and even then, Snorlax is far better-known for that. Otherwise, it's another generic Rock type with mediocre stats.

6. Qwilfish: A generic single-stage Water type who was a rare encounter in its introductory games. Yeah, I'll pass, too.

7. Mantyke/Mantine: Despite being a Special-oriented "counterpart" to Skarmory, it always suffered from having a worse typing and movepool. It sucks to be overshadowed by Blissey.

8. Sentret/Furret: A generic Normal rodent who was semi-rare and instantly overshadowed by Rattata/Raticate in its introductory games.

9. Ledyba and Spinarak Lines: Generic early Bugs with poor stats who were uncommon in the wild and constantly overshadowed by the Caterpie and Weedle lines in their introductory games.

10. Girafarig: Single-stage Pokémon with mediocre stats and very few prominent appearances.

Re: Most Forgotton Pokémon?

Well to me one of the most forgotten Pokémon is Doduo (also it's evolved form Dodrio) because it's basically an ostrich with two & three heads on Dodrio's case, Pachirisu and Emolga because they are generic Pikachu look-alikes.

Also that other electric rodent from Kalos...it's even more forgettable than Pachirisu or Emolga since I need to check on Bulbapedia for it's name. [size=-5]It's Dedenne btw.[/size]

Last edited:
Porygon/Porygon 2/Porygon Z: Amnesia enforced by the anime. :(

Raichu: Pretty much as Betty N said. Light ball should work on Raichu too dammit!

Dunsparce: I actually forgot that it even existed, and when it appeared in Pokémon XY I thought, "Huh? some weirdo from the Hoenn games?" Turned out I completely forgot that I actually caught one from the Johto games! I don't remember seeing it at all in the anime either.

Makuhita: I thought Hariyama was the only mon on its evolutionary line, also courtesy of Pokémon XY.

Bagon: I actually thought Bagon, Mienfoo, and Absol were from Kalos until I looked up Bulbapedia. I also found out about the scene with Bagon and Meowth in an AG episode.

Lucario, Charizard and Pikachu...nah just kidding.

Last edited:
Chingling and Chimecho come to mind, as they're really mediocre in-battle, not very well-liked, and they never got any prominent appearances in anything as far as I know. I keep thinking they're Psychic/Steel, when they're actually just Psychic.

Mothim - Only few even know what Mothim evolves from or at what level. Let alone Mothim's existence
Ledian - Did you know Ledian learn 3 moves at one level?
Spheal-Sealeo-Walrein - I rarely see any of these Pokemons used, mentioned or talked about. I mean RARELY.
Clamperl - I feel like due to the complicated way of evolving Clamperl, people have just decided to forget about it.
Carnivine - Carnivine is Grass/Dark. I'm kidding it's mono Grass.

I am only mentioning what people have posted here as they have mentioned Pokemon I have forgotten.

Tangela and Tangrowth are very forgettable thanks to their incredibly bland designs. Hell, I even forgot Tangela existed until Gen IV when he gained an evolution, and I wound up forgetting Tangela and Tangrowth once Gen V came along. Also, I am a member of a Pokemon collecting community where every single Pokemon in existence has its fans with the exception of these two. It tells me something when Jynx, Smoochum, and Mr. Mime have more fans.

Qwilfish is another one I tend to forget about. It's a generic, poison pufferfish. I don't care about that.

Here are a couple of Pokémon that *frequently* come up in "Most Forgotten" discussions--Finneon and Lumineon.

To the unfamiliar, they sound like a couple of new Eeveelutions. Hell, that's what *I* thought they were when I first read their names.

But, nope, they're a couple of generic fish with poor stats. As if the franchise didn't have enough of those...

I find Grumpig to be very forgotten. It's a pretty cool Pokemon, but it hardly gets any exposure at all. It appears five times in the anime, with only one of them not being a cameo. ((And I will give some credit to the episode, because the Pokemon was portrayed quite well.)) But, to my knowledge, it doesn't even appear in RSE, and these are the games that had Psychic-type gym leaders... The only way to get a Grumpig for yourself is to evolve Spoink, who is only catch-able in the Jagged Pass. What's the Jagged Pass? Exactly. It's that extremely small route that doesn't even require you to step on a single patch of grass. And going even further, it only had one appearance in the manga. Just one.

No wonder this thing is forgotten. A shame, too, as it's a pretty decent Pokemon.

Stantler. Normal-type, very average movepool, average-looking brown deer. No evolution.
Corsola. I know, there's an entire town built on these yet somehow not very memorable. Again, no evolution to speak of.
Surskit/Masquerain. Surskit is interesting but really weak (like many bugs), then when it evolves it loses a key part of its uniqueness.

I usually forget that Stantler exists for some reason... probably because I've only ever seen one in HG/SS personally or that's the only time I can recall.
Clamperl has a similar situation.

Slakoth-Vigoroth-Slaking line: I feel these guys are much to often forgotten. I mean, Slakoth DOES have a very generic appearance and it's move pool is meh... Vigoroth I did actually forget his name and had to look it up, and I guess that proves my point. But Slakoth and Vigoroth still have one more family member— Slaking. According to his stat total, he is up there with the legends. His total stats are 670! Tyranitar is 600 (not including his OPed Mega Evo), Hydreigon is 600, Dragonite is 600, Salamance is 600, and even Mewtwo is only 10 stat points higher! I think Slaking is much too forgotten, despite the power he very clearly has.

Clamperl: Despite its cute design and two alternate evolved forms, Clamperl seems to be relatively unknown nowadays. I can never forget her, mostly because she was my very first shiny.

Mothim: I have played Pokemon practically all my life. There aren't many Pokemon that I ignore/don't know much about ( minus the B/W B2/W2 gens because I have yet to finish them), but Mothim... What? Where did this Dustox impersonator spring from? No, seriously, where? I have no idea. What does it evolve from? Is it just bug? Who is this guy??? *rushes off to Bulbapedia*

Edit: Oh! And Venomoth. I mean, come on, who ever really used this guy?

Last edited:
Maractus. I mean, with some effort i can remember remember almost even Gen 5 mon, but i have to think real hard to remember Maractus and it never, ever crosses my mind when i'm thinking about Gen 5 mons.

I think that middle evolutions that are not starters are usually forgotten, because at least with fully-evolved Pokemon, you identify them as such. Things like Farfetch'd, Dunsparce and Stunfisk seems like they should be forgotten, but are still memorable in some way. For the base form, they have a certain level of cuteness to make them remembered.

Middle evolutions are forgotten because they are usually just within the evolution line between the form you start and the form you finish with. This is worse if that Pokemon is conceptualised as a middle form right from the beginning, because that means they are a "middle-child" from the beginning.

Thanks for reading.

I agree with a lot of these (especially Ledian, Stantler, and Maractus). A few forgotten Pokemon I can think of that nobody mentioned yet are Elgyem/Beheeyem and Kricketot.

Last edited:
I think that middle evolutions that are not starters are usually forgotten, because at least with fully-evolved Pokemon, you identify them as such. Things like Farfetch'd, Dunsparce and Stunfisk seems like they should be forgotten, but are still memorable in some way. For the base form, they have a certain level of cuteness to make them remembered.

Middle evolutions are forgotten because they are usually just within the evolution line between the form you start and the form you finish with. This is worse if that Pokemon is conceptualised as a middle form right from the beginning, because that means they are a "middle-child" from the beginning.

I think that depends. Not counting the middle evolutions who were once considered base forms/fully-evolved (ie. Jigglypuff, Golbat, Electabuzz, Togetic, etc) there are still some middle evolutions who are equally as popular and remembered as the base and final forms. Dragonair, for example, is just as popular as Dratini and Dragonite (and many actually prefer it to the latter). But, then, on the other hand you have Pupitar, who's neither cute like Larvitar or cool like Tyranitar and thus, tends to be forgotten.

And, starters aren't immune to it either. Charmeleon isn't exactly "forgotten," but it definitely isn't as popular as Charmander and Charizard. (It even *looks* like a "middle-child," being the only one of the family who's red instead of orange.) And, I can barely remember the names of some of starter middle evos from after Gen 3, whereas I can get most of the base and final names.

But, then you have starter middle evos like Wartortle or even, Bayleef whom many people actually consider to be better-looking than their final forms, and they're, thus, better-remembered.

Maractus, Elgyem and Beheeyem are the first ones to come to mind when I think of forgotten Pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom