• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Most overrated and underrated Pokemon characters

Underrated: Cassidy & Butch

They deserved more Screen-time as a sort of Ant-Jessie & James and I honestly think they would've fit being the main Duo of the Best Wishes series more than Jessie and James, it was too out of character for Jessie and James to be competent and serious when that easily fits Cassidy and Butch.

In my opinion:
Overrated:
Misty;She is damn overrated.After Kanto,she was completely useless like a cardboard piece in the background.Maybe she gets all the love because she was the first female companion and a part of the original Trio.

Serena: Don't get me wrong.She is isn't very bad.But her persona is all about being optimistic,kind,polite and er, girly.So I don't particularly get what's so unique about her.We have already seen lots of characters and COTDs with such a personality.

Underrated:
Jessie:I hate it when people say that she has the same personality as Misty and call her a fiery bitch.But she is one of the most developed characters with a difficult and rough past.She deserves more love than she gets.she is quite misunderstood.

Iris:I hate it when she is compared with Misty and Negaishipping being called as Pokeshipping 2.0. She gets all the hate(I think) mostly because she beat their precious Ash.Iris is adventurous,determined,opinionated, strong and confident.Her relationship with Ash was a lot better than the one that Misty had with Ash.They really got along well. ;)

Last edited:
In my opinion:
Overrated:
Misty;She is damn overrated.After Kanto,she was completely useless like a cardboard piece in the background.Maybe she gets all the love because she was the first female companion and a part of the original Trio.

I understand if your not liking character and I can respect that but to claim this things implies how you perhaps may not remember OS well enough; because this simply wasn't true.
Especially when for Misty during Orange and Johto was time when most character development happened exploring on various personality sides like her appreciation for romance, big passion for water types and her water master goal, her snark, caring and timid side being given more depth as character. Showing how she has more to her than just hitting and throwing things at others dealing with careless sisters and parent absence not having happy childhood just like Jessie. We got to see her catch new pokemon, learn how to understand them better when bonding with Marill, Psyduck or Poliwhirl. Work toward her dream entering various events like Seaking contest, Whirl Cup, battled several trainers and became more confident in her abilities growing out of sister complex coming of in more mature light.

Along with becoming great and caring friend with Ash as their dynamic became deeper and well rounded over time delivering lot of entertainment value and meaningful interactions. Accompanied with playing big role with Brock as his coach and mentor back in day.

I will agree with you over Iris though. Amount of hate and disrespect she gets is ridiculous with many things related to her character being blown way out of proportion. Because while there were some forced, rushed and poorly handled elements in her development, she really wasn't that bad like everyone say. In fact I thought there existed creative premise placed around her character. Growing in dragon village and wanting to connect with them through natural, non artificial ways being something fresh and new to story.
And she actually got decent focus by entering don George battle clubs or some other competitions, battling, dealing with her pokemon and disobedience issues, focusing on her dragon master goal and connections with dragon village, Drayden or other renowned dragon trainers etc.

As for beating Ash that may be one of reasons behind heavy criticism she receives, but I don't think sole act of beating Ash was reason behind igniting people intolerance toward her even more, because Misty defeated Ash in legit battle too. But probably way in which she defeated him with fans probably feeling there were too many things aligning in her favor through out tournament. Like Axew learning outrage out of blue, Emolga starting to listen winning in last second or Pikachu being still handicapped due to Zekrom ingervention(even though realistically even with full power Pikachu would still be at massive disadvantage vs ground pokemon like Excadrill).

In general people felt writers resolved issue concerning her character and pokemon too easily(like Dragonite disobedience, proving herself to Drayden etc)which deepened annoyance they felt toward character.
Granted this aren't my thoughts necessarily, but it is one of arguments behind people dislike based on what I encounter all over the internet.

Last edited:
Overated:
-Brock: Really he seems really dull, especially in DP, honestly the other tertiary male characters were slightly better.
-Alain: I just really feel like there really isn't anything better about him, he still comes nothing more than another Paul just bland and trying to fulfill a simple goal of beating others.

Underated:
-Alder he really was a cool champion, it was a shame he barely interacted with the main characters he only got one episode to interact as a character of the day and he was seen only as a background character past that point, really he was really cool and understood the silly/serious cliché in my opinion.
-Dino: I never understood why was he just a background character, he appeared in a lot of episodes yet he barely got anytime to develop, honestly with no interaction he felt really cool, honestly I think he would of been a better final rival rather than Cameron in the BW league.

Brock isn't overrated, he's the total opposite. It's hard to find fanart, fanfics and people talking about him. And he's definitely NOT dull, he's more interesting than many popular characters. In other words, you don't even know the meaning of the word overrated.

Overrated: Misty
People even hate Iris while they love Misty despite being so similar. I like both, but Misty fans can be so annoying, cruel and it feels like they're shoving her down other people's throats. If that didn't happen I'd like her more, but thanks to her good fans I don't dislike her so much.

Underrated: Brock, Jessie, Iris, James (in order)
Brock is the most underrated because even though he's not more talked about, drawn fanart of of written about there are still a few close-minded people who says he's overrated. I think you guys need to look up the meaning of the word overrated, because this definitely doesn't apply to Brock. As for Jessie, she's just misunderstood and has had a constant battle of a bad life, there's no wonder why she is how she is. How would you like it if everything you did went wrong? As someone who has kept failing until recently (I figured out why with some help) and had a lot of problems growing up and even later, I can naturally empathize with Jessie. When it comes to Iris, she's just like Misty but my defensive nature makes me like Iris more and if they were treated equal in the fanbase I'd most likely think of them equally. Iris has a better design, but Misty looks less childish. And at last, but not least James. While he's the most talked about of Team Rocket from my experience he's mostly ignored as well, especially now. The TRio is generally underrated as a whole, but they didn't use to be as much as now. Less people talk about them now than ever and it's lonely being with unpopular favorites.

In my opinion:
Overrated:

Serena: Don't get me wrong.She is isn't very bad.But her persona is all about being optimistic,kind,polite and er, girly.So I don't particularly get what's so unique about her.We have already seen lots of characters and COTDs with such a personality.

Underrated:
Jessie:I hate it when people say that she has the same personality as Misty and call her a fiery bitch.But she is one of the most developed characters with a difficult and rough past.She deserves more love than she gets.she is quite misunderstood.

Iris:I hate it when she is compared with Misty and Negaishipping being called as Pokeshipping 2.0. She gets all the hate(I think) mostly because she beat their precious Ash.Iris is adventurous,determined,opinionated, strong and confident.Her relationship with Ash was a lot better than the one that Misty had with Ash.They really got along well. ;)

I agree with all of what you said except Serena, in my opinion she's both overrated and underrated at the same time. She's pretty much average to me. My biggest problem with her is that she's not very original, as you said nothing particularly unique. I do however think she's unfairly hated at some parts, but not in others. But as for the others I fully and wholeheartedly agree.

Underrated:
Cilan. From what I see, the only reason people hate him is because he was essentially a semi-permanent replacement for Brock. I find Cilan a little more fleshed out due to his various hobbies/interests and his "evaluation time" speeches .Plus he participated in Pokemon battles outside of his gym battle with Ash and fighting against the regional super villains and had a reason for participating beyond just impressing a pretty lady. I might also be a bit biased here since I like using Dwebble/Crustle and I'm a sucker for nice characters like Pansage even if these type of characters are usually flat.

While I love both Brock and Cilan I think Brock is the most underrated. He's less talked, drawn and written about compared to Cilan. Other thant that, I get the comparison but while they're similar they're also very different. However, Cilan is not more fleshed out than Brock (or the other way around if that matters). More proof Brock gets unfairly hated right there.

Overrated: Misty, Gary, Cilan, Zoey, Alain, 'Steffen', Giovanni, Mallow, Ritchie, Lana, Bulbasaur, Charizard, Totodile, N, Oak.
Underrated: Tracey, Ursula, Brock, Miette, Clemont, Bonnie, Iris, Serena, Delia, Giselle, Casey, Emolga, Kenny, Lyra, Khoury.

Last edited:
underrated

iris as bizarre is it is for to be saying considering what I think bw I have to say that iris is more interesting as a character than what Serena was having iris sharing some traits with misty was great even outside of iris episodes they didn't do enough with her she was a least more interesting to watch than Serena

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom