• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

DISCUSSION: Most Popular Region to Set a Fic

Which region do you like to see fics set in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
While chatting with a fellow author earlier today, I wondered--out of the nine current canon regions, which one is the most popular to set a fic in? Or are side game regions or fan regions more popular? So we're going to find out--which regions are the most popular to set a fic in, and why?

The rules:

--You are allowed to vote up to three options in the poll, but think carefully about which three you pick--you can't change your answer later.
--You are welcome to explain why you picked the choices that you picked. You don't have to write a novel, just a few sentences will be fine.
--The poll will run for two weeks, where the top three regions will be revealed.

I look forward to seeing your responses!

Last edited:
Hoenn through Unova for me, with emphasis on Unova. this may or may not having something to do with my firm belief that gens 3-5 were the high point of the franchise, but their regions just in general contain a truckload of intriguing characters & lore to base fics around, and I feel like they have firmer characteristics (Hoenn is tropical, Sinnoh is history-rich, Unova is heavily urbanized) than most other regions.

also, I'm from New York, so I'm naturally going to be a massive unabashed Unova homer. I enjoy writing in Unova more than any other region because I actually feel like I know what the hell I'm talking about.

Side game regions and anime exclusive locations for me are so of the most interesting; I wish I read and wrote more along those lines because those always feel the ones with the most fleshing out available to the author and seeing their takes on it can be super duper fun. OI are especially interesting because we know a lot about them and we also really don't I feel like.

All that said, what region a fic's set in generally doesn't ultimately impact my decision on whether or not to read it, which is in some ways rather unfortunate and others something I appreciate. Though, more than seeing a specific region I like to see what the author does with that region.

I'm a Hoenn girl because my first mainline games were ORAS (and I have a fic series/universe set there)... I also love the real-world equivalent to Sinnoh/Hisui (Hokkaido/Yezo), so I enjoy more wintry (romance-y???) fics there too (it feels cozy). I also have grown to love Unova thanks to a certain amazing and cherished Subway Master in my life, and I've gotten to read a lot of her amazing fics and such, even though she doesn't share many here!

That being said, I'll read a fic set anywhere as long as I like it? Those three are just areas I particularly enjoy for specific reasons!

The regions based off Japan really interest me and I’m also quite familiar with them. I sometimes feel like there are too many stories taking place in Kanto. Though overall, I don’t think what region a story takes place in truly matters to me.

In all honesty, if a writer were to create an OC and have them adventure through a region, I would NOT want it to begin in Kanto or the most recent region.

I think Kanto can be fine for just fun and creative short stories but I think Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh are much better for journeys and creative short stories.

But still, even with everything I said, I don’t really care where the story takes place. I actually never really pay attention to what region the story will take place when reading it. So I guess that gives a perspective on what region you should choose for your story. ANY OF THEM

Personally, I would pick the first four simply because I am more familiar with them and I have fonder memories with them than the later five. At first, I feel that I didn’t care about the worldbuilding; I just cared about the Pokemon (and the fact that it was the first video game I played [one of them, anyway]).

While there are things I remember (like me and my friends doing contests and the underground [as well as battles and trades]), there are things I don't remember, like the teams (though I for sure know the Shiny Gyarados was on at least one of the Johto League Teams).

Plus, as someone who started with Kanto, I think I am more familiar with that batch of Pokemon than any other region. Since I can only pick three regions on the poll, I think I will go with the first three, with Sinnoh a solid fourth place (I am counting remakes here).

Heck, In my eyes, Kanto is the best region to write a story for since there is so much blank there. Unlike later generations, the Legendary Pokemon are not involved in the story... Well, there is the very high possibility that Giovanni was planning on catching Mewtwo with the Master Ball if/When he got his greedy filthy hands on it. One could potentially get away with writing any type of story due to how few changes one would need to do.

Edit: Forgot to mention, but Team Rocket didn't really have as big of a role in the story, unlike hoenn onward. The player only really fights them because they happen to be in the way of their quest to get the badges. If they were not blocking Sabrina's Gym, they would have gone in and left with the badge (assuming that they didn't care that Saffron was overrun by criminals).

Last edited:
Speaking personally, I'd like to see more fics set in Unova. The games were awesome but the anime didn't do it justice. Though I imagine Kanto would be a popular pick since more of us would be familiar with the region considering how many times we visit it.

My first mainline games were ORAS which is a reason I picked Hoenn.
I picked Kalos because the XY series and yes I can.
Finally, I picked Unova since I really like writing BW stories (I’m rewriting one of them I made a year and a half ago, I might make a post about it soon)

From what I've seen Kanto is the most popular, usually because it's the most basic and has many fan-favorites. Personally I don't like it much specially when they feel like they're coping the anime (I've seen the Pallet Town-Viridan Forest-VS Brock-Mt Moon-VS Misty-Bill-SS Anne structure like a hundred times), but whatever.

Would love to see more of Galar, specially as it allows for the protagonist to be more experienced and not a noob, and since the routes are short the writer has to come up with many unique ideas. Also, Hisui, the freedom and the ancestors also allow for lots of creativity and experimentation.

From what I've seen Kanto is the most popular, usually because it's the most basic and has many fan-favorites. Personally I don't like it much specially when they feel like they're coping the anime (I've seen the Pallet Town-Viridan Forest-VS Brock-Mt Moon-VS Misty-Bill-SS Anne structure like a hundred times), but whatever.

Would love to see more of Galar, specially as it allows for the protagonist to be more experienced and not a noob, and since the routes are short the writer has to come up with many unique ideas. Also, Hisui, the freedom and the ancestors also allow for lots of creativity and experimentation.
Agreed that Kanto is the most popular due to how basic it is compared to later regions.

Alola is not getting any love at the moment it seems.
A bit surprising as Alola has the Ultra Wormholes which is quite interesting. Though, the reason why I didn’t vote for it was because there were just other Edison’s I preferred and Alola was just a fine region.

Agreed that Kanto is the most popular due to how basic it is compared to later regions.
I’d think that Fanfiction writers would want to do something that’s not basic. Though, maybe writing in Kanto is good for practice and getting started.

Now here is the question: what why is hoenn so popular?
Probably because shipping. I voted Hoenn, Unova and Kalos, and six other people voted for Hoenn other than me. Idk why they’d pick it a lot, but I know I picked it because I like a lot of the Hoenn-set fanfictions I’ve read (most of them were HCS ones because why not lol)

Last edited:
Probably because shipping. I voted Hoenn, Unova and Kalos, and six other people voted for Hoenn other than me. Idk why they’d pick it a lot, but I know I picked it because I like a lot of the Hoenn-set fanfictions I’ve read (most of them were HCS ones because why not lol)
I thought Kalos was the region of shipping because of the ash/Serena ship.

Please note: The thread is from 7 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom