• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Most underrated Pokemon?

Ice Tyrant

Is a Foolish Fool
Reaction score
Ever loved a certain Pokemon so much? Have you also noticed that whatever Pokemon that is it isn't really loved as much as you love it? Here's the place to discuss that.

To get to the point I'd have to say Aggron is one of the most underrated. Sure, it's got an awesome design and is shown to be very powerful in the anime, so what's the underrated part of it? The fact that so many people overlook it for others because of it's double weaknesses to both Fighting AND Ground. Having double weaknesses to both of the two powerful offensive types in the game isn't something pretty.

Honestly though, the Steel/Rock typing causes more help for me than harm. First you must stare at that 180 Base Defense and double resistance to Normal and Flying, as well as a solid immunity to Poison. It's high Defense also lets it wall Dragon types that don't pack any Ground type moves to do anything about it. In fact, unless it's being hit with Super Effective damage or by a Special move, it doesn't take too much damage at all. It even gets a Special Defense boost in sandstorm to patch up that low Special Defense of his. Sure it isn't the fastest thing around, so that may also be a reason why it's so overlooked and underrated as it is, but you GOT to love that 110 Base Attack with access to Head Smash, which it can deal massive damage with no penalty thanks to Rock Head as one of it's abilities.

Overall Aggron to a lesser extent fits as an underrated Pokemon, but probably not as much as some other Pokemon in the game. He is essentially both overrated and underrated thanks to his abilities, moves, and typing. Perfect qualities of a late game powerhouse indeed.

Poor little Trubbish and Garbodor are so unloved. I just don't understand. :< People say they're ugly, but goddammit, they're adorable! u_u

There's also Doduo and Dodrio who are SO FREAKIN' AWESOME... but nobody else seems to think so. A three headed ostrich/roadrunner/kiwi bird/emu (crap, I have no idea what it's really supposed to be) is coolaid! People need to appreciate it more. >.>

And last but not least... Meditite and Medicham. I ****in' love this line. Seriously. Their designs are flawless (well... in my opinion T_T), and they're just adorable (which for some strange reason, I've seen countless people refer to Medicham as "ugly" T^T).

Of course there's a huge stack of Pokemon that are underrated (that I love), but that would just turn my post into a rant. :B

Oh, and I agree with the Aggron thing. I adored that line in Sapphire, and used it in so many teams. The Aron line is awesome, end of. 3:<

I think that Trubbish and Garbodor are cute. Trubbish because that one that appeared in anime... Garbodor because it has Mickey's ears. :ksmile:

Medicham doesn't receive all the love it deserves also... After watching the battle between Ash and Greta, I fell in love with it. So cute and smooth.

Flygon is outclassed by other hyped dragons, people must show some more love to it.

Geodude is another poor guy, but it's really shit, so I don't care.

Oh, Gulpin and Swalot for sure. I mean, they're so frickin' adorable (how can you get any cuter than Swalot's little spaghetti-shaped whiskers? How?), and they have a really fun movepool too. And yet, you can't buy a plushie, anywhere.

There was a thread for this, but it died a number of months ago.

Lumineon's quite underrated: it can pull its weight in UU, if you play it right.

Oh, Gulpin and Swalot for sure. I mean, they're so frickin' adorable (how can you get any cuter than Swalot's little spaghetti-shaped whiskers? How?), and they have a really fun movepool too. And yet, you can't buy a plushie, anywhere.

Agreed with that. I love Swalot! I usually have at least one around somewhere.

Another Pokemon that's underrated (imho) is Ampharos. I mean, yes, it's attack isn't the best, but the fact that it can learn a wide varity of moves really makes it a good part of any team.

You have a good taste in Pokemon. I love Swalot too.

Gastrodon, man. D8 Sure, she's just a poor-man's Swampert, but people often underestimate her high HP and Special Defense. She managed to defeat my uber Team's Dialga, and weaken Darkrai a little before she went down.

Also, she has Recover, so she can always set up and reconver, or toxic protect recover, and so on. A good stall, or annoyer, or something.

Plus, they're freakin adorable! ;A; Especially the east-sea Gastrodon, with her cute pigtail-like ears...thing.

Golem and Rhyperior, most definitelly. Despite their dual 4x weaknesses and low Speed, their Attack and Defense are incredible, and they both served me well in beating the Pokemon Leauge.

In order:
Mr. Mime - I am probably of two people on the planet who really like this guy (the other being Chuggaaconroy). I've slowly come to love his dumb name and creepy design. Besides, he's got pretty good Special stats, and can function as a solid Baton Passer.
Jynx - Same as Mr. Mime, only NOBODY likes it. Does nobody else appreciate how creepy these guys are?
Breloom - You'd think having great typing, a fantastic ability, a great movepool, and an OU ranking would earn something a considerable amount of respect, right? Apparently not. Breloom still doesn't get half the attention it deserves. I loved this guy since day one.
Electivire - WHY DOES EVERYONE HATE THIS GUY??? I was actually quite pleased with it; it was a solid evolution to a Pokémon I liked, with a good design.
Arceus - Yes, I know, it IS a god and all, but I feel like the only one who likes this guy's design. There's just something... majestic about it. Strikes a nice balance between basic and elaborate.
EDIT: Thanks to Ryuu for reminding me Breloom isn't the only Grass/Fighting type anymore.

Last edited:
Well, for one, Breloom isn't a unique typing anymore...

FFF- I LOVE Swalot and Gulpin. D:
They're just TOO cute with their -3- '3' expressions. x3
I also enjoyed using one in a past Sapphire team, so... yeah.

Golem and Rhyperior, most definitelly. Despite their dual 4x weaknesses and low Speed, their Attack and Defense are incredible, and they both served me well in beating the Pokemon Leauge.

I don't like Golem, but to me Rhyperior is along Empoleon, the best pokémon from Sinnoh. :smokin:

And I like Breloom, although between the grass/fighting pokémon, I prefer Virizion by far.

Drapion

It has great typing having only one weakness and can do rolls as a Def tank or physical sweeper quite well and has a good move pool and quite good abiltys.

Agreed with that. I love Swalot! I usually have at least one around somewhere.

You have a good taste in Pokemon. I love Swalot too.

FFF- I LOVE Swalot and Gulpin. D:
They're just TOO cute with their -3- '3' expressions. x3
I also enjoyed using one in a past Sapphire team, so... yeah.

Well, it's good to see some more Gulpin/Swalot love in these pages. Suddenly I don't feel so alone any more. :3

Let me bring to mind a certain trio of legendaries. This trio is known as the Kami Trio, who are often hated as either not resembling Pokemon or simply using the same pose in their sprites. While the former can be argued about more, the idea of Kamis as a basis for Pokemon at all is very unique. Their appearences can be based on the Raijin and Fujin, who are either spoken of as two troublesome demons or ferocious temple guardians according to PokeBeach. This fits the descriptions of Tornadus and Thundurus very well, as not only do they have a slightly more ferocious design than some other lesser trios, their main ability allows them to use Status moves with +1 priority. Very troublesome indeed, but why Landorus resembles them more is a mystery when it's basis is not usually depicted as a demon similar to the Raijin and Fujin, which may also be why it's National Dex number is seperate from the two.

What could be even more fuel for arguements is their sprites. When looking at most sites such as Bulbapedia or Serebii, they share the exact same pose with only colors, hair, horns, and tail designs being different from eachother.

641.png
642.png
645.png

The Lake Trio had a similar design style with only their heads different from eachother, but not as different from eachother as the Kami Trio though. They on the other hand, have completely different poses in their sprites. Surely the Kamis should have their own poses as well. Well, let's remember the fact that B/W has fully animated sprites. Having sprites like B/W has is not as easy as having sprites like D/P or HG/SS have. Something smaller in size would be relatively easy to pose differently (The Lake Trio), but a similar idea of floating Pokemon that have much larger proportions such as muscles might be a bit harder as they'll have a somewhat larger sprite (The Kami Trio). Despite what this difficulty may suggest though, the Kamis DO have more different sprites than one thinks. As I mentioned, B/W uses fully animated sprites and not static sprites. Most other companies use simple pallete swaps with minor details changed for some monsters in other sprite games and display them as completely seperate species. What makes the Kami Trio so different is that they're handled more professionally, with enough major detail differences for each to be unique. In addition, they have entirely seperate animations:

641.gif
642.gif
645.gif

Tornadus has a more stiff animation with more detail in facial animation, Thundurus moves around from side to side more often and has more detailed hair and tail animation, where Landorus wobbles in place more while not moving too much in general.

So naturally, I believe these 3 are underrated simply because of their own designs. They are not simple lazy designs like most other companies attempt, as each of them have been given proper details, typing, and animations for each to have their unique feel to them. I simply cannot wait for their debuts in other media of the franchise. I keep thinking it'll be interesting to see them in the anime.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom