• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Most unexpected capture in DP?

Most unexpected capture of DP?

• Total voters
Jessie goes 50+ episodes with no change

I think that only added another reason for them to do some changes with Jessie's team... she went like 200+ eps with the exact same team!

without Dustox and gets Yanma/Yanmega.

I think a lot of people speculated it... it usually happens with the TRio and I totally expect Jessie to "replace" Yanmega with a new bug next gen

And to date, her other Pokemon remain unscaved.

Seviper will stay until there's a new poison snake
Of course, they might never do another poison snake and it'll stay forever - but as I said I won't be surprised if they'll make one next gen especially for the anime
As time goes on the anime and games are more and more connected and the writers might ask them to make replacements for TRio Poké

wow, people really seem to be underestimating the revelation that was Hikari's Pachirisu. Given, it was pretty much a dead giveaway from the episode title, but when that title was first revealed, pretty much everybody was going "Oh my god, an Electric-type on the main team besides Pikachu?! How's that possible?!" Given, Pachirisu was the token electric rodent of the generation, but prior to that, I think we were all expecting the thing to just get crammed down our throats in, not one, but two filler episodes, and a shitload of movies and specials (just as Plusle and Minun were). Instead, it's actually captured by one of the main characters... but ironically enough, Pachirisu has probably turned out to be Hikari's most neglected Pokemon in the end. Guess Pikachu really is the only Electric-type the writers want to keep in the limelight.

Chimchar- Not really, it was either Chimchar or Magmortar. Of course Ash getting two starters is kind of surprising.

Togekiss- The only reason it was unexpected for me was because she just got Cyndaquil and with Togekiss it means she has a full team. Poor Ambipom got gypped in every way possible.

Gible- Was the most unexpected thing for me. Even the Khoury episode doesn't do it for me, because before that episode there was no indication whatsoever. Then when Khoury did capture Gible, and all the information of Ash's Gible came we really can't say it was unexpected, but still (prior to the foreshadowing) it was still pretty unexpected.

Gligar/Gliscor- The only unexpected thing about this was how early Ash caught it, otherwise thinking of the Gligar episode in Johto, it really is that unexpected, since Ash voiced in the Gligar episode that he wanted to catch one, I think it was similar to when Ash wanted Cyndaquil. If not then he wanted the Gligar when he saw it.

Buizel/Aipom- I suppose but it wasn't the most unexpected thing, just a lot of denial.

Happiny/Croagunk- As for the Pokemon themselves? Not really I mean maybe its because I'm used to them but they seem natural to me. Only because of the lack of Happiny it still looks kind of awkward seeing Brock with it (the thing should evolve already).

Chimchar was the most unexpected for me because Ash already had Turtwig and Dawn had Piplup, we didn't expect Ash to have two starters when it made more sense for him to have all three or just one. And as Paul had Chim in the beginning I thought for sure Ash would catch a Magby and evolve it all the way to Magmortar as a counterpart to Paul's inevitable Electivire, and honestly they really should have done it this way.

Gible was completely unexpected even after Gliscor's release. I didn't expect Ash to replace a ground type with another ground type, especially not a dragon. I would much rather Brock have caught it (rock and ground types are essentially the same thing in the anime so it would have fit him) so Ash could catch something that's useful and doesn't just eat inedible objects for our amusement.

Gible most definitely. Thing came outta nowhere and it has to be the strangest addition.

When I Ash caught a mudkip in episode DP 87, he was like, I herd u liek mudkipz Dawn?

But I the other one I think was a surprise was when he caught Chimchar but I guess it was coming since day 1.

Can't say about most of them since I had no idea what was going on early DP during its run but as far as I know it's Gligar. Oh, and Aipom would probably fit that position as well.

Yeah, I know it technically didn't happen in DP but we all know why it was caught.

wow, people really seem to be underestimating the revelation that was Hikari's Pachirisu. Given, it was pretty much a dead giveaway from the episode title, but when that title was first revealed, pretty much everybody was going "Oh my god, an Electric-type on the main team besides Pikachu?! How's that possible?!" Given, Pachirisu was the token electric rodent of the generation, but prior to that, I think we were all expecting the thing to just get crammed down our throats in, not one, but two filler episodes, and a shitload of movies and specials (just as Plusle and Minun were). Instead, it's actually captured by one of the main characters... but ironically enough, Pachirisu has probably turned out to be Hikari's most neglected Pokemon in the end. Guess Pikachu really is the only Electric-type the writers want to keep in the limelight.

Don't be ridiculous. Dawn doesn't own a Pachirisu, that thing's a paperweight.

If you told me 1 year ago that Dawn would capture a Togekiss, I would have thought it sounded like fanfiction.

It really is a surprise. A fully evolved Pokemon, part of the Togepi line, belonging to Dawn? Its not something I would have imagined.

Aipom and Buizel being traded was surprising, though Ash giving away Gliscor to Mitsuzo surprised me the most, but I do love Gible more.

Gligar is the one that blindsided me the most; what with Paul being set to catch Gliscor in that ep, I didn't think before seeing it that Ash would catch something as well. Croagunk comes in a close second, not just for the capture but for the way it became the ever-popping Psyduck of DP. Chimchar I got more convinced of as we came close to it, and even though I fought against the Aipom/Buizel trade to the end, the possibility was all too real.

There was one catch from that list that I clearly saw coming:

In hindsight (remember, it's always 20/20 perfect vision), getting Happiny sounds like the best choice, what with the Chansey -> Nurse Joy connection. However, that doesn't mean any of us were anticipating it.
I did anticipate that one, actually. Back when the DP merchandise was just rolling out, they had that set of Pogs-like disks, which just happened to have Sudo, Croagunk and Happiny next to each other. Even if that was a coincidence, I knew the addition of Happiny would make Brock's standard triad of a team complete. I had a whole series of posts about it on Serebii. So in that case (my sole victory in DP predictions), I totally called it.
Brock getting an egg was apparent. Having it be Happiny was not (again, it makes sense now, after the fact, but if you were expecting it, you must be psychic).
Well, give me a spoon and call me Alakazam! ;P

Last edited:
Its great that the writers broke the mold and made the captures more unpredictable for the most part.

Remember those sad days when Ash would just get all the starters, the regional bird, and barely evolve any of them? And Misty could only get water Pokemon and Brock would barely catch anything?

Nowadays you never know what Ash will catch, Brock's team has officially gone off his rock type roots, and a lot of May/Dawn's Pokemon, aside from the cute theme, is fairly unpredictable.

I truly must commend the writers for making Ash's Pokemon enjoyable, and not just play games getting all the starters every generation.

Remember those sad days when Ash would just get all the starters, the regional bird, and barely evolve any of them? And Misty could only get water Pokemon and Brock would barely catch anything?

Scott called Kanto "sad days"
IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD!

Kanto gets excused because it was the start of the show and first time they did it. I liked Ash getting all the Kanto starters.

However when Johto rolled along giving him all the starters again was a terrible idea, as shown by how poorly handled they all were. Its almost as if the writers understood how much we complained about the way Ash's Pokemon were handled that generation, so they "wiped the slate clean," and started doing it correctly.

However when Johto rolled along giving him all the starters again was a terrible idea, as shown by how poorly handled they all were. Its almost as if the writers understood how much we complained about the way Ash's Pokemon were handled that generation, so they "wiped the slate clean," and started doing it correctly.

Actually, him getting all the starters in Johto had no actual bearing on how everything was written. He could have gotten Chikorita, Slugma, and Wooper, it would have been just as bad. And I think I've said this before, but there was no middle ground then, they didn't just want Typhlosion, Totodile and Chikorita. That dumb Kanto crap was not going to work anymore for a long lasting franchise and I'm so glad they cut it and at least made the teams realistic.

Anyway, Gligar was pretty unexpected. Everyone pretty much had RIOLU for that final spot and I'm glad that Gligar, and in turn Gible, shook the rosters up.

The riolu that didn't happen was definitely surprising, although I'm glad Ash wound up with Gible instead of Riolu-Lucario

Don't forget some people thought James was going to get a Tangrowth for some reason, despite James already having a resident grass type in Carnivine.

I'm also fairly happy Brock never captured anything new since 2007, it goes to show you sticking with 3 Pokes a region is fine for him and anything else would be pointless.

I do think Staraptor could have been skipped honestly, Ash didn't need yet another bird and that slot could have been used for something more unique.

There was one catch from that list that I clearly saw coming:

I did anticipate that one, actually. Back when the DP merchandise was just rolling out, they had that set of Pogs-like disks, which just happened to have Sudo, Croagunk and Happiny next to each other. Even if that was a coincidence, I knew the addition of Happiny would make Brock's standard triad of a team complete. I had a whole series of posts about it on Serebii. So in that case (my sole victory in DP predictions), I totally called it.
Well, give me a spoon and call me Alakazam! ;P

Here's your internet cookie. In fact, you nailed it so hard the hammer broke. But even your old posts seem to prove my point:

I said it before in another thread as kinda a throwaway comment, but now that I think about it, it makes sense; a Pinpinku () would definately be feasible for him. Yeah, I know: a PINK thing on his team?! But look, first off it would definately throw off this whole suer-tough Pokemon expectation everyone seems to have for him; if this thread is any indication, no one would be expecting it.

And what're we discussing here? Unexpected captures. Most everyone has a Pokemon they 'predict' would be a perfect fit for a certain character. These predictions are a dime a dozen and really, you hit the lucky lotto number.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom