• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Most unexpected capture in DP?

Most unexpected capture of DP?

• Total voters
Apparently stuffing baby Pokemon on Brock is the *in* thing now, despite him not having any baby Pokemon for Kanto-Hoenn. Wasn't until Bonsly in Battle Frontier he got one.

But I guess it makes sense. Nobody wants to see a baby Pokemon in battle so stick it with someone who will nurture it instead.

I probably should have put Pachi on the poll, it was kinda a surprise that there was another electric type on the group for once. Its odd Pachi doesn't get much screentime, you'd think that would be a pokemon the writers promote the hell of, but it got ignored through large chunks of DP.

Its great that the writers broke the mold and made the captures more unpredictable for the most part.

Remember those sad days when Ash would just get all the starters, the regional bird, and barely evolve any of them? And Misty could only get water Pokemon and Brock would barely catch anything?

Nowadays you never know what Ash will catch, Brock's team has officially gone off his rock type roots, and a lot of May/Dawn's Pokemon, aside from the cute theme, is fairly unpredictable.

I truly must commend the writers for making Ash's Pokemon enjoyable, and not just play games getting all the starters every generation.

well, for whatever they're worth, I think Satoshi's "Catch-n-Oaks" (as they've come to be known) were nicely unpredictable. There was also the fact that he got an egg containing, of all things, a Gomazou. Given, none of these Pokemon have been on his team much nor have they actually amounted to a whole lot, but they were still nice exceptions from the formula and something you wouldn't have seen coming at the time.

Though, technically, I wonder if Satoshi getting all three starters was all that predictable when the show first started airing. Now, after getting Fushigidane and Hitokage for two episodes in a row, with another one featuring Zenigame, that last one might've been a tad too expected by then. Also, dub-viewers were probably spoiled by Bulbasaur's capture right off the bat thanks to the opening, but the Japanese opening? No, the only Pokemon you see Satoshi using besides Pikachu was a Pigeot (which, ironically, he'd never have until the opening changed to "Rival!", and even then, he only had it briefly).

I simply remember people hating Ash getting all the starters in Johto again.

People said things like, "Why is Ash getting rid of his strong Kanto Pokemon just for the same types in Johto again?"

I simply remember I hating Ash getting all the starters in Johto again.

I said (and keep repeating to everyone else's dismay)things like, "Why is Ash getting rid of his in my opinion strong Kanto Pokemon just for the same types in Johto again?"

Fixed. Neither Bulbasaur and Squirtle were portrayed as especially strong in Kanto, Orange Islands and early Johto. For crying out loud, Bulbasaur was nearly defeated by Misty's Poliwag-whirl...

Neither Bulbasaur and Squirtle were portrayed as especially strong in Kanto, Orange Islands and early Johto.

QFT
They were showcased as about as strong as the Johto starters were... it's only in their later returns that they all of a sudden became super strong for no reason... just like Torkoal and just like what is likely to happen to the Johto starters in the Sinnoh League

I sure never thought I'd live to see the day Ash captured a pseudo-legendary. So it's Gible for me.

Fixed. Neither Bulbasaur and Squirtle were portrayed as especially strong in Kanto, Orange Islands and early Johto. For crying out loud, Bulbasaur was nearly defeated by Misty's Poliwag-whirl...

They were still viewed as strong than new-captured Johto Pokes. Let's put it this way:

- Cyndaquil never ever reached Charizard's level of popularity. Given how popular Char was back in the day, this is common sense.

- Squirtle was always more popular than Totodile. I know some people might think Toto was, "funnier" or whatever, but Ash's Squirtle was always more popular. And Totodile was such a terrible battler it brought it down even more.

- Chikorita/Bayleef certainly had many fans, but Ash's Bulbasaur was also a fan favorite. We'll call it a tie on this one.

- Noctowl didn't even have half the following Pidgeot had.

His Johto team is the only one that never stood on its own legs, as they were under the shadow of Ash's Kanto Pokemon the entire time.

Scott speaks some truth. Back when these episodes were first starting to air (and I mean premiering) on US air-waves, it was definitely odd for Ash to be getting rid of his older Pokemon. Disregarding the popularity contest, just giving up his trusted buddies for odd things wasn't ringing that well with some fans (like yours truly). At the time, it felt like "Why replace one Fire Pokemon for another" or "Why have 2 Grass Pokemon". Very reasonable questions for someone who really stuck to the games.

And of course now, looking back on it, it wasn't bad at all.

- Squirtle was always more popular than Totodile. I know some people might think Toto was, "funnier" or whatever, but Ash's Squirtle was always more popular. And Totodile was such a terrible battler it brought it down even more.

Zenigame was the worst Kanto starter that Satoshi had. It did practically nothing in Kanto and only had a personality in its debut and leaving eps.
The only thing that I even remember it doing was learning Hydro Pump...
Waninoko might not have gotten many battles, but Zenigame didn't either.

Any of the Johto pokes > Zenigame IMO

The most "unexpected" capture in DP was, of course, Ash catching Gligar.
At the time, we expected Paul to just catch the Gliscor boss and that's it. I was honestly surprised when Ash caught one of the Gligar from the gang.
I totally did not see that one coming; we did not have any information beforehand that Ash would capture the Gligar. Every other capture in this series, on the other hand, were so predictable (either through openings, spoilers, whatever).

Zenigame was the worst Kanto starter that Satoshi had. It did practically nothing in Kanto and only had a personality in its debut and leaving eps.
The only thing that I even remember it doing was learning Hydro Pump.. Waninoko might not have gotten many battles, but Zenigame didn't either.

While Squirtle obviously wasn't promoted as much as Bulbasaur/Charizard, it still had plenty of roles in Kanto's fillers, had a great friendship with Bulbasaur that was expanded on the summer vacation short, decent roles in Movie 1 and Movie 2, and was used in the 7th and 8th Gym, the league, 3 out of the 4 Orange Gyms, the Orange league, a couple of early Johto fillers....and then of course it comes back to star in a Johto league match and defeats Brandon's Ninjask in Battle Frontier.

Totodile was only ever used in one Gym battle, which was against Whitney where it lost quickly to her Miltank. Its only saving grace were a few matches in the Whirl Cup where it defeated a Kingdra, and it defeated Harrisson's Sneasl in the Johto league.

And otherwise, V-Faction speaks the truth. Any other veteran of the Pokemon anime series who was watching Johto when it was "brand new" and airing for the first time expressed disgust over Charizard/Squirtle leaving, the GS ball being abandoned, and Ash getting all the starters again.

The problem is now that Johto is such an old saga that people have forgotten this stuff, which is exactly why Hoenn and Sinnoh did the "clean slates" where his entire team is dumped in one swell swoop, so it doesn't feel like they're being "replaced" ala what the Johto team did with the Kanto one, and failed in doing so.

I don't know why I even bother... probably because I'm a lifeless bored guy

They were still viewed as strong than new-captured Johto Pokes.

In your biased eyes... they were pretty weak until their returns in Johto and up, you can't deny this no matter what ridiculous things you say

- Cyndaquil never ever reached Charizard's level of popularity. Given how popular Char was back in the day, this is common sense.

There's no "popular", everyone has their own favorites... also, most of young kids prefer what's new and at the time Johto aired Johto was new so a lot enjoyed watching new Poké over old ones they known for years
And now with HGSS Johto is new again, which means more kids are thinking right now about Cyndaquil than Charmander, which is also why we're likely to see the Johto starters in the League and not the Kanto ones

Cyndaquil was awesome, so what if it didn't evolve? Bulba/Squirt didn't evolve either and you're ridiculous if you think Kanto!Bulba or Kanto!Squirt could ever even try to reach Cynda's level

- Squirtle was always more popular than Totodile.

I already explained about your ridiculous use of the word "popular" (also, who the Johto cares about popularity? can't we have our own personal opinion?)

I know some people might think Toto was, "funnier" or whatever,

It's not "think", Toto WAS funnier than Squirt... I like its personality and design much more than Squirt's

And Totodile was such a terrible battler it brought it down even more.

Squirtle wasn't much better pre-Johto, stop lying to yourself

- Chikorita/Bayleef certainly had many fans, but Ash's Bulbasaur was also a fan favorite. We'll call it a tie on this one.

You mean "Scott Favorite"
A tie? You won't decide my opinion
Bayleef >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bulbasaur
Actually, Sceptile and Torterra are much better too

- Noctowl didn't even have half the following Pidgeot had.

LOL
Pidgeot was a one episode Poké, who cares? PIDGEOTTO is the one you should compare here... and you're crazy if you'll ever try to say Pidgeotto was better than Noctowl in any possible way...

His Johto team is the only one that never stood on its own legs, as they were under the shadow of Ash's Kanto Pokemon the entire time.

Gen 2 in both games and anime did suffer due to being their first try at a new gen and gen 1 overshadowed everything sometimes... but it wasn't nearly as bad as you make it

Scott, you're sick... you really should do something about this... that's just crazy...

I don't care too much about it to be honest, but I was very disappointed with the way Ash's team was handled in Johto. Thank god the writers finally "got it right" after it ended.

Even though there's still screw-up's like what happened to poor Gliscor. :/

All were pretty much expected. The only capture i expected which didn't go through was that Hippopotas the Ash crew bumped into a couple of times.

I don't care too much about it to be honest,

So stop repeating it the whole life to everyone here who's sick from reading the same things again and again

but I was very disappointed with the way Ash's team was handled in Johto.

As I explained before, I can't see how the Kanto team in its original saga was any better... that makes no sense at all
At least the Johto Poké had better design (in my opinion) and got some personality that the Kanto starters lacked

Thank god the writers finally "got it right" after it ended.

Thanks Arceus they never repeat the same mistakes they did in Kanto

Stop crying about cartoon characters who left the show months ago... and you're talking about Misty fans... seriously
If Gliscor return - great, if not - just move on and don't cry over it

Oh dear. And yet another Anime thread descends into a debate about Ash's Kanto and Johto rosters. :/

Back to the topic in hand, i'd say I was most shocked by the capture of Gligar by Ash in that wind maze episode. However, not only did Ash get Gligar, but Paul also caught the pack leader - Gliscor. Back in early 2008 when speculation was high on Ash either getting a Riolu egg from Riley given his Aura connections, or the Hippopotas that followed them in two episodes, Ash catching a Gligar with no prior indication was quite a shock.

On the other hand, I was also pretty surprised when I learned at the start of DP that Brock had captured Croagunk in the fake Gym episode. I'd only looked at the episode pictures fleetingly and found that near the end, Croagunk had jumped in to a Pokeball. But that was right at the start of the saga, so I was a little more open to shocking captures.

Togekiss and Gible have affected me very little to be honest. After the unforgivable Gliscor release and information leak about Ash getting a Gible, it sounded quite sensible despite the whole 'Ash's first Dragon type' and 'pseudo-legendary' malarkey. Togekiss was admittedly a bolt out of the blue, but to see a placeholder image of it in the latest opening for the first time along with Dawn's Pokemon gave me less of a shock than, say, seeing Ash suddenly dash a Pokeball at Gligar.

Stop crying about cartoon characters who left the show months ago... and you're talking about Misty fans... seriously
If Gliscor return - great, if not - just move on and don't cry over it

Gliscor left not even a full year ago. There's a difference. If Gliscor doesn't return by the league then its obvious its gone for good.

But as it stands right now, Gliscor still has a shot at returning.

I don't care too much about it to be honest, but I was very disappointed with the way Ash's team was handled in Johto. Thank god the writers finally "got it right" after it ended.

Scott can I ask you a question? Where did this Gliscor love come from?

Here and on Serebii, I could've sworn you never really talked about Gliscor or showed that much passion towards it till its release.

I didn't know you were a die hard Gliscor fan, it's like you expect Ash to release Charizard over Gliscor.

Just like you were upset at Sceptile being sent to Oaks for Turtwig, when you said rotation messed up the Johto starters.

WTF?

Well, you don't always realise how much you'll miss something until its gone...

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom