• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Most unexpected capture in DP?

Most unexpected capture of DP?

• Total voters
Gliscor was actually my second favorite of Ash's Sinnoh team, right behind Chimchar/Monferno originally.

At first I really liked Buizel but its personality got stale to me, and Staraptor was always kinda meh, Grotle was OK but I liked Sceptile better.

Overall, Gliscor had some of the most personality of Ash's Sinnoh team. No doubt about it.

I still go with Ash capturing Gible, Dawn getting Togekiss was close to getting my vote, but seeing as how the episode hasn't aired yet, I'm holding my right to judge said content until I see what Togekiss is capable of.

To start off with Gible. I didn't think he would get a Pokemon like this, and even that late in the game as well. Seeing as how he was caught in DP157. That and I think my views of the game come in as well, seeing as how Gible can become an awesome Pokemon and is regarded as one of the best around. There was that and the fact that Khoury got the other Gible that I was sort of doubting that would get it, and Gliscor was still on the team as well, and I didn't want a Pokemon like Gible to be Oak'd.

I had a feeling that he would get Chimchar due to keeping up with his Pattern of Pika/Bird/Grass Starter/Water Type/Fire/????, and since Sinnoh was lacking in Fire Types this time around (We only got the Chimchar line, Magmortar, and Heatran as new Fire Type Pokes, I hope Gen V gives us a little bit more variety this time around.)I think giving him Heatran would have been too much and I think it might have been done too late into the game, that and it's a legendary. Magmortar, it was something of foolish thinking on my part, as I always thought that he would get a Magby to be a counterpoint to Paul's Elekid. Chimchar was pretty good choice considering the interaction Ash had with him before Paul released him and Ash was like "Wanna come with me?"

Gligar/Gliscor, yeah it was unexpected and very random, but seeing it crash into Ash all those times did make sense.

Buizel/Aipom trade was something I was MAJORLY expecting as well, seeing as how Aipom's love of contests was established back in the Battle Frontier, and Buizel's love of battling was established back in it's first appearance, I was just waiting for the perfect excuse for Ash and Dawn to trade the two and be with the trainer that could help the walk down the right road for them. It also establishes the current trend of Pika/Bird/Grass/Water/Fire/???? for Ash as well.

As for Brock, Happiny was expected since I don't recall him ever getting an egg, and judging by the location that contest was and in-game event, I knew the egg would have been a Happiny egg. I didn't see Dawn getting it. That and the Nurse Joy connection. Croagunk was a little unexpected, but it did want to follow Brock around.

I like how they shook things up a little, although Ash did still get stuck with the same grass/fire/water/flyer dynamic.

Kind of a shame, but at least the team isn't a bunch of cutesy unevolved starters anymore. Its also nice to see Ash finally get his second fully evolved fire starter in Infernape, it sure as hell makes up for Cyndaquil never evolving back in Johto.

Mmm...I don't know xDU, I`m between Togekiss and Chimchar xDU.
I wouldn't have never imagined that Ash would get Paul's Chimchar, I thought that Chimchar would develope his fire atacks and he would become as evil as Paul soon because of his training =( It was really surprising for me that he was released and Ash caught him xDU. But was happy at same time because that little monkey is adorable and it would be a pity if he became evil xDU

By other side, I've never thought that Dawn could catch a Togekiss, I mean, He was something like a Misty's signature and I think that give Dawn a Togekiss would be like give Brock a raichu ;_; xDU.So I've never imagined that Dawn would get one.There are a lot of cute and girly Pokemon in Sinnoh for Dawn xDU And as a Misty fan I don't like the idea but I'll deal with it anyway =(

But I would be surprised the most with whatever Brock's new capture xDU The poor man has only 3 Pokémon I think that He deserves one more at least ;___;

Misty's Togetic is so far in the past (about 8 years) that it really has nothing to do with it anymore.

Not to mention Dawn is getting a Togekiss as a Togekiss, something Misty never had before. And no Misty doesn't claim ownership of the entire Toge line (just because of her owning Togepi for a while or Togetic for less than an episode).

And if that didn't happen, the only other way I could see Togekiss debuted was through Cynthia, but obviously that didn't happen.

It seems like the writers like the Togepi line for some reason. Shame Togetic barely has any screentime though.

As I explained before, I can't see how the Kanto team in its original saga was any better... that makes no sense at all
At least the Johto Poké had better design (in my opinion) and got some personality that the Kanto starters lacked

not to mention significantly better handling of Gym battles. Speaking of which...

While Squirtle obviously wasn't promoted as much as Bulbasaur/Charizard, it still had plenty of roles in Kanto's fillers, had a great friendship with Bulbasaur that was expanded on the summer vacation short, decent roles in Movie 1 and Movie 2, and was used in the 7th and 8th Gym, the league, 3 out of the 4 Orange Gyms, the Orange league, a couple of early Johto fillers....and then of course it comes back to star in a Johto league match and defeats Brandon's Ninjask in Battle Frontier.

more examples of poor writing. In movie 1, it and Fushigidane didn't actually do much aside from having a clone and getting a cheapass one-hit kill on a friggin' Kairikii just because the writers loved establishing that the little guys triumph over all (and taking it to fucking ridiculous extents). It got pwned in the 7th Gym (and that whole battle didn't even count because the real challenge ended up being a one-on-one between Lizardon and Boober), 8th Gym was another poorly written mess (for that matter, Zenigame was once again getting its ass handed to it... it only turned the tables around completely out of nowhere, which in itself was a group effort, when Pigeon suddenly turned uber against a Saidon and the Rockets began violating the rules), and the Orange Islands... well, couldn't really complain about its participation in the first Gym's shooting game, but the second Gym, all it did was to help balance a bobsled. Then its victory in the third Gym was arguably an ass-pull (though it was with Satoshi for a while, so learning Hydro Pump might've been justified). Overall, I can't say its Gym record was all that great.

Also, the only reason it really had a "friendship" with Fushigidane was because they were both part of the over-showcased group of starters. Hitokage went and evolved, leaving just two cute and small starters remaining. Lizardon still could've hung out with them, but he became a complete dick and was rarely even let out of its ball as a result (though I think there has been some interaction between them and Lizardon in parts of early Jouto, as well as the Battle Pyramid).

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom