• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Most Upgraded Pokemon In Gen V?

Cyber Jet

Something for nothing
Reaction score
Well some pokemon in gen V has had some major buffs so which ones do you think where the most upgraded from gen IV?

For me first off Ditto went from a pimp that can only breed and sucked major ass in battle to possably one of the most powerfull pokemon and greatest revange killer.

Next any thing that has inconsistent now even bidoof is a threat!

Politoad/nintails for wether ablitlys.

And finaly Blaziken and sharpedo for speed boost and venomoth will make a great sweeper/batton passer thanks to butterfly dance.

I agree about ditto. I also have to say Espeon and Xatu got a great use in this gen. I love deflecting stealth rock with Magic Mirror! :D

I "ditto" your opinion on ditto.

Smeargle got a huge boost this gen too, with inconsistent to baton pass as well as the huge new boosts he can pass in butterfly Dance, shell break, and gear change.

Sableye came to mind pretty quick, with DW Mischievous Heart. Tropius has a great new DW ability as well, and Sandslash's DW-ability might bring him into use. Poison Heal Gligar is relatively good. The Nido N/F each get a useful ability in DW Encourage as opposed to their relatively useless current two. Alakazam could possibly wreck with Magic Guard, who knows (Life Orb, etc). Seaking gets the best of Lightning Rod's new distribution and update, though others can use the ability just as well. Gastrodon and Cradily particularly like Storm Drain's new distribution and update. Pokemon with Sturdy love the update.

As far as new and upgraded moves go, Shuckle likes Power Share; Venomoth likes Butterfly Dance (he is its first or second best user), as does Butterfree and Masquerain and some less notable bugs; Arbok likes Coil (I guess); Tentacruel likes Acid Bomb; Arcanine and Rapidash like Wild Bolt. Mewtwo's Psycho break makes it a single-focus dual threat attacker. Shell Break is quite an option for those who got it. Clear Smog may be good for some pokemon, I dunno. Those who learn Growth, High Jump Kick, Giga Drain and Drain Punch, Uproar, and various trapping moves gained alot from their various upgrades, the underlined moves in particular being upgraded the most.

The Evolution Stone / Wonder of Evolution item makes a good number of NFE's competitive, and some other items (Balloon, etc.) do alot for some other pokemon. I don't know if they count as upgrades, so eh.

Sableye, Tropius, Venemoth, and the ones everyone else mentioned are the ones who've made the biggest gains. (Ditto, Blaziken, Smeargle, Ninetales. Politoed isn't too improved this generation--it just becomes more useful. The Drought of Ninetales cancels out its water weakness and enables Solarbeam, in addition to boosting its Fire moves. It is alot more suited to its new ability than Politoed.) EDIT: I see Venemoth was mentioned in the first post. Ok then.

Last edited:
Smeargle
- Butterfly Dance
- Coil Around
- Cotton Guard
- Baton Pass

=3

Blaziken has finally gave Infernape the finger, thanks to the Dream World. Which is awesome, as I liked Blaziken more anyway.

Ninetails and Politoed finally found themselves uses, which I love, as they're some of my favourite Pokémon.

I agree with Ryu Shoji. Politoed an Ninetales are fantastic this generation. Their Dream World abilities are great.

Bug-types also received a boost this generation. Venemoth, Butterfree and even Beautifly gained Butterfly Dance, while Shuckle gained Power Share.

Sableye also has some use now, because of his Dream World ability: Mischievous Heart.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom