• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Most useful Megas?

Boss1708

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
Which Pokemon improves the most after Mega evolving compared to its non-mega form?
And which one is more useful without megaevolving (maybe holding an item in stead of the mega stone)?

Compare Stats, Abilities, etc.

The Pokes are: Metagross, Salamence, Sceptile and Sharpedo

PD I mean for battles, both the PSS Battle Spot and competitive Battles.

Last edited:
Re: Competitive Megas?

MMence is Uber; compatitve battles an the battle maison are completely different, so competitively, as much as I like Water Pokemon, I have to be objective and recommend MMeta, which I like too.
Some Pokemon are completely useless in the normal forms (say hi Glalie and Lopunny), but you can always run a SRMeta like in past generations; normal Salamence is outclassed by Dragonite and MZardX in OU, which is funny as it was actually banned from OU in DPPt; well, the metagame changes...

MMence is Uber; compatitve battles an the battle maison are completely different, so competitively, as much as I like Water Pokemon, I have to be objective and recommend MMeta, which I like too.
Some Pokemon are completely useless in the normal forms (say hi Glalie and Lopunny), but you can always run a SRMeta like in past generations; normal Salamence is outclassed by Dragonite and MZardX in OU, which is funny as it was actually banned from OU in DPPt; well, the metagame changes...

Hi and thanks!

I think you didn´t completely understand my question... Firstly, I wasn´t talking about the Battle Maison, but about the Battle Spot on the PSS. The online Battles where you get a random opponent usually using a competitive team.

But about competitive Pokemon battles, my question was, regardless of the tier, which Pokemon (from the 4 I suggest) benefits the most from its Mega, and which one benefits the least? Which one is the most useful option without a Megastone, and which one needs its Mega stone the most?

Thanks! ;)

Hi and thanks!

I think you didn´t completely understand my question... Firstly, I wasn´t talking about the Battle Maison, but about the Battle Spot on the PSS. The online Battles where you get a random opponent usually using a competitive team.

But about competitive Pokemon battles, my question was, regardless of the tier, which Pokemon (from the 4 I suggest) benefits the most from its Mega, and which one benefits the least? Which one is the most useful option without a Megastone, and which one needs its Mega stone the most?

Thanks! ;)

Sceptile "needs" its mega stone the most, as its base form is completely nonviable in OU. Salamence's Mega is the strongest out of these, but it's banned to Ubers. Metagross is the best of these that is legal in Smogon OU aka "competitive battles"

Sceptile: not viable
MSceptile: B Rank
Sharpedo: not viable
MSharpedo: B Rank
Salamence: D Rank
MSalamence: Banned
Metagross: D Rank
MMetagross: S Rank

Well, since you are doing battle spot, I would recommend using mega mence. It may may be ubers but when you go on battle spot you see aegislash and mega kanga everywhere. It really depends though if you are doing singles (more towards smogon) or doubles (more toward vcg)

you gotta remember that 3 vs. 3 is different than 6 vs. 6

in 6 vs. 6 sharpedo isn't that gr8 (still underrated imo) but I very much have a soft spot for focus sash destiny bond sharpedo in 3 vs. 3, can easily take out two mons per game (read: 66% of the opposing team). I run it with protect/waterfall/crunch/dbond, could possibly swap protect for coverage/aqua jet cause you really don't need it as much as lorb sharpedo.

keep in mind meta boss that you can run more than one mega, since it's 3 vs. 3 you can just pick which one you wanna use for each battle. Is what I do.

For regular 6 vs. 6 blaze is right about sceptile being the worst of them, so you might wanna give the mega stone to sceptile in that scenario. The other three are at least usable without their megas. Though megamence just takes lives if you wanna be cheap.

Which Pokemon improves the most after Mega evolving compared to its non-mega form?
And which one is more useful without megaevolving (maybe holding an item in stead of the mega stone)?

Compare Stats, Abilities, etc.

The Pokes are: Metagross, Salamence, Sceptile and Sharpedo

PD I mean for battles, both the PSS Battle Spot and competitive Battles.

in 6 vs. 6 sharpedo isn't that gr8 (still underrated imo) but I very much have a soft spot for focus sash destiny bond sharpedo in 3 vs. 3, can easily take out two mons per game (read: 66% of the opposing team). I run it with protect/waterfall/crunch/dbond, could possibly swap protect for coverage/aqua jet cause you really don't need it as much as lorb sharpedo.

keep in mind meta boss that you can run more than one mega, since it's 3 vs. 3 you can just pick which one you wanna use for each battle. Is what I do.

For regular 6 vs. 6 blaze is right about sceptile being the worst of them, so you might wanna give the mega stone to sceptile in that scenario. The other three are at least usable without their megas. Though megamence just takes lives if you wanna be cheap.

My post was more in reply to the bit in bold - when it comes to PSS you can just go MMence and it don't even matter what the rest of your team is. Run Luvdisc and Bidoof for all i care lol

I would like to have one team for both Battle Spot and OU, but your idea is pretty neat, having 2 megas for Battle Spot.
For OU, i´d probably choose Mega Metagross!

Last edited:
My Mega Metagross has Meteor Mash/Zen Headbutt/EQ/Ice Punch, you could also fit Bullet Punch, but remember Rotom-W walls you without Zen Headbutt; I run Adamant, but Jolly is just fine if you feel you need more speed.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom