• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Most Useless Game Feature?

Here's one i don't think has been mentioned: vending machines.

In a shop i want to buy, say for example 10 hyper potions. I select hyper potions, i select 10, i pay and i'm done.
With a vending machine if i want 10 lemonades i have to buy. each. one. individually. and. pay. in. small. amounts. each. time. it. takes. so. long.

But it's a better value, that's the key. Fresh Water heals 50 HP, Soda Pop heals 60 HP, and I think Lemonade heals I think somewhere around 80 HP. It's a really good deal. I don't even buy Potions once I have access to the vending machines, I love them so.

My point is not about the products sold, but the manner in which they are sold. If i could just select 10 lemonades and pay once it would take a heck of a lot less time.

In a shop i want to buy, say for example 10 hyper potions. I select hyper potions, i select 10, i pay and i'm done.
With a vending machine if i want 10 lemonades i have to buy. each. one. individually. and. pay. in. small. amounts. each. time. it. takes. so. long.

But it's a better value, that's the key. Fresh Water heals 50 HP, Soda Pop heals 60 HP, and I think Lemonade heals I think somewhere around 80 HP. It's a really good deal. I don't even buy Potions once I have access to the vending machines, I love them so.

My point is not about the products sold, but the manner in which they are sold. If i could just select 10 lemonades and pay once it would take a heck of a lot less time.

Well, that doesn't strike me as a "useless feature" as much as just an inconvenience, if you get what I mean. Imagine it; "Pokemon: Now With One-at-a-Time Beverage Purchasing Features!"

Well, that doesn't strike me as a "useless feature" as much as just an inconvenience, if you get what I mean. Imagine it; "Pokemon: Now With One-at-a-Time Beverage Purchasing Features!"

Which makes Moo-Moo Milks all the more better because you can buy them in bulk. If only Fresh Water/Soda Pop/Lemonades were sold that way ;_; iirc, in FRLG there was that one store on the Sevii Islands that did sell those in bulk.

I agree with the One-Time use Key Items that never leave your bag D:

I used to love cutting grass in Emerald! It saved me a fortune on not having to buy Repels.

Anyhow, most useless feature? Pokemon Fan Club. It pretty much does nothing except provide filler characters (whose roles in-game can easily be fitted to other people) and shallow appreciation to the things you do in game, as if you don't get applauded enough by random people you come across anyways.

Also would like to point out the annoyance at only getting ONE Premier Ball if you buy more than 10 Pokeballs at one go. I feel cheated if I don't get 8 Premier Balls if I buy 80 Pokeballs in one go, so it's more of a pet peeve than anything.

Many of these connective features that you never get to really use or see. If we're playing with someone we're either likely to Battle or trade, none of this creating teams thing, from gen 4, or having talking conversations.

They've got rid of Mail now thank god, but that really was the worst.

Pokemon following you has to be the most useless feature. Even though I loved walking around with my Turtwig, it was pretty useless. It added nothing to the game, and didn't benefit battles either. :/

Voltorb Flip in Heart Gold and Soul Silver, a complete waste of time.

It gives you coins to buy rare items and Pokémon. It's better than the luck based slots to me.

The problem with Voltorb Flop is that it pays incredibly low in the early stages, and if you lose too many times you go back to Level One (or at least the level before it; I've never gotten past Level 2). At least you could earn a lot in the slots if you got incredibly lucky. Besides, Voltorb Flop DOES end up being luckbased at times.

Pokemon following you has to be the most useless feature. Even though I loved walking around with my Turtwig, it was pretty useless. It added nothing to the game, and didn't benefit battles either. :/

One of your trainer card stars was earned by walking with your starter.

During Black / White there was a feature while trading where you could put 3 Pokemon into trade slots.

When I first saw that I thought it would allow you to trade up to 3 Pokemon at once but nope! You're still trading one at a time..

Secret Bases in R/S/E

Wow, I was no fan of the original RS (Emerald was better) but one of the few selling points was secret bases, interesting how diverse the community is, that there are people who hated the feature/found it useless.

During Black / White there was a feature while trading where you could put 3 Pokemon into trade slots.

When I first saw that I thought it would allow you to trade up to 3 Pokemon at once but nope! You're still trading one at a time..

Oh I remember this. Also it was either gen 4 or gen 5, there was this annoying negotiate feature, where you had to select random pokemon from your box to offer for trade, as well as picking something you wanted from your opponent, and your only communication was via 4 different emoticon faces.

Wow, I was no fan of the original RS (Emerald was better) but one of the few selling points was secret bases, interesting how diverse the community is, that there are people who hated the feature/found it useless.

Oh I remember this. Also it was either gen 4 or gen 5, there was this annoying negotiate feature, where you had to select random pokemon from your box to offer for trade, as well as picking something you wanted from your opponent, and your only communication was via 4 different emoticon faces.

Yeah those features are useless. I can't think of anything that tops that.

As a shiny Pokemon enthusiast, I'm going to say shiny locks. What's the point? The Gen VI legends have lovely shiny forms, but there's currently no way to legitimately obtain them. Yet, Reshiram and Zekrom, which were shiny locked in the Gen V games, can now be found shiny in ORAS... so why were they even shiny locked in the first place?

The problem with secret bases was the same problem with trade-evolves. At the time you needed a friend (or just an extra console, game & trading cable) to make use of it. Nowadays connectivity through wifi means that you don't even need to be in the same country as someone else and it works. It doesn't work for everyone, but there are a lot more people who can take advantage of the situation now than before. It's not that secret bases were necessarily bad, just that they did nothing other than look pretty if you couldn't mix records.

I'm surprised at those who think the Withdraw/Deposit functions of the PC are useless. I know that Move is more convenient, I'm just surprised at how everyone thinks Withdraw/Deposit are that redundant. I guess I feel that way because I use those functions out of a long-term habit, since they've been around since Gen I, so it's mostly out of habit I use them without thinking.

Anyway, moving on, I feel the most useless game feature is the VS Recorder. Its uses are limited to special battles at best, so why should it take up a space in the bag when it can only really be used post-game/wifi? And even with that it's optional. Sure, I know there are some who like recording their victories, but it's not the greatest thing to have since cheese fries. If it had some really important function in-game, like be a way of accessing certain battle facilities in both main game and post-game, then maybe I'd see it in a better light. But all it does is record a post-game/wifi battle, which I find rather pointless.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom