• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Most useless pokemon moves?

Synchronoise. Seriously, what's the point of this move?

In all the battles I've fought, in all the times I've seen it used, not once has it actually hit.

I mean, Splash has an excuse. Splash does exactly what it's supposed to do, without fail; it's just that what it's supposed to do is lackluster. Synchronoise is supposed to be an attack, and at its given role it fails miserably.

It certainly doesn't help that, out of all the Pokémon that learn it, every single one other than Chatot and Eevee get a better Psychic attack. So we're looking at a move with lackluster power, can never get STAB (without also being NVE), hits Super-Effective in only the most exceedingly rare of cases.... Need I go on?

I'd prefer Splash over Synchronoise any day.

Last edited:

In all the battles I've fought, in all the times I've seen it used, not once has it actually hit.

I mean, Splash has an excuse. Splash does exactly what it's supposed to do, without fail; it's just that what it's supposed to do is lackluster. Synchronoise is supposed to be an attack, and at its given role it fails miserably.

It certainly doesn't help that, out of all the Pokémon that learn it, every single one other than Chatot and Eevee get a better Psychic attack. So we're looking at a move with lackluster power, can never get STAB, hits Super-Effective in only the most exceedingly rare of cases.... Need I go on?

Apparently it only hits psychic pokemon.

Yeah, I know how it works. I alluded to that "hits same-type only" in the post. But, really how often does it come up that not only do you and your opponent share a type, but you also know Synchronoise, AND it's more powerful than any other option you might have at that point?

Literally the only valid use I can think of it is a Vaporeon that encounters a LOT of Tentacruels for some unknown reason. And that's a lot more situational than, say, using Splash in Mystery Dungeon.

I just remember another attack that probably shouldn't exist: Sharpen. Really, what the hell were they thinking? Raises attack by one stage, and they make it exclusive to a Pokemon whose physical attack power is shitty anyway (though its evolutions could kinda use physical attacks, they're kind of a waste in comparison to the special attacks, ESPECIALLY given the final evo's godly special attack). Generation 5 finally gave it to another Pokemon, but it too has shitty attack that doesn't stand up well to its special. Now that generation 5 is introducing attacks that raise a stat by 3 whole stages (like Cotton Guard), they could've redeemed this move and make the Porygon line/Freezio valid physical attackers by giving it a +3 attack effect. Sadly, they blew that chance.

It certainly doesn't help that, out of all the Pokémon that learn it, every single one other than Chatot and Eevee get a better Psychic attack. So we're looking at a move with lackluster power, can never get STAB (without also being NVE), hits Super-Effective in only the most exceedingly rare of cases.... Need I go on?

well, it COULD get a STABed super-effective if it were a Symbolar fighting against a Crobat (or even better, a Triple Battle with a side full of them for fuck knows whatever reason), plus that Showers vs. Dokukurage example you mentioned. But yeah, it's still an irredeemably shitty attack, and it doesn't even get some godly attack power to compensate (70? Seriously? And it too is often learned at high levels... it's about as bad as Razor Wind). Also, I just remembered that Blacky's able to get it. LOL! Fail!

Present. At least Splash is funny...

nah, I'd say Present is like Splash in that it at least exists for novelty, as well as for being the only (natural) usable attack of a certain Pokemon (albeit not a particularly great Pokemon, nor could it evolve into a particularly great one). Besides, it could be interesting for gambling players. Wanna risk that chance of healing the enemy? Or you wanna try for that 120 power damage?

The thing about Present is that Delibird can learn other moves by way of TM, so it's redeemable.

Magikarp can't learn any moves until Level 10 that are helpful.

Synchronoise is also shit, and deserves to be gone.

Yeah, Splash is the most obvious useless move in the game. And the moves that are only useful for double battles if you're a single battle type trainer too. :<

Last edited:
Yeah, Splash is the most obvious useless move in the game. And the moves that are only useful for double battles if you're a single battle type trainer too. :<

I know what you mean. The only double battles I have are with the trainers within the game and even so they are not that common .I never have my Pokemon learn those pointless moves.

I am not a fan of pursuit or rock smash especially if a non dark and fighting type are using them. Moves are weak to begin with but are worse without the STAB. Rock smash would never be on one of my pokemon period if it weren't for the fact that I need it sometimes. (I don't like switching pokes out just so they can use an HM and then put them back its too tedious)

Okay... I'm going to say it...
Sand Attack.
GUYS. IT'S SO FRIKKING ANNOYING.
Okay, I guess it's useful if you use it right, but... ... ... UGH.
For those who spam it, I'll have you know that you make me cry and keep me awake at night.

Right. But I guess as far as useless moves go...
Endure is kind of stupid. You keep at least one HP, and you can heal I suppose, but then you'll just be KO'd again next turn unless you have another plan. :/
Strength and Rock Smash are kinda weak moves, too...

Constrict is a terrible move. Even Tackle is better than it. Sure, it can lower speed, but not that often.

Okay... I'm going to say it...
Sand Attack.
GUYS. IT'S SO FRIKKING ANNOYING.
Okay, I guess it's useful if you use it right, but... ... ... UGH.
For those who spam it, I'll have you know that you make me cry and keep me awake at night.

Right. But I guess as far as useless moves go...
Endure is kind of stupid. You keep at least one HP, and you can heal I suppose, but then you'll just be KO'd again next turn unless you have another plan. :/
Strength and Rock Smash are kinda weak moves, too...

Endure? Useless? No way. Endure works great with things like Salac Berrys, Reversal, Flail, etc.

And Strength isnt that bad.

There are the Pinch Berries (except in B/W for now). Flail or Reversal also work great with Endure; with 1 HP, they have a startling 200 base power!

Endure? Useless? No way. Endure works great with things like Salac Berrys, Reversal, Flail, etc.

And Strength isnt that bad

There are the Pinch Berries (except in B/W for now). Flail or Reversal also work great with Endure; with 1 HP, they have a startling 200 base power!

Yeah, I'm probably just thinking for NPC's as far as Endure goes. xD
Never though of using Flail, though... derp, I will try that for sure!

I've never really had a situation in which Strength worked well for me, though. :/

Growl can be somewhat useful in doubles. Kinda.

Yeah, I'm probably just thinking for NPC's as far as Endure goes. xD
Never though of using Flail, though... derp, I will try that for sure!

I've never really had a situation in which Strength worked well for me, though. :/

Strength is good when you have no better normal-type attacks.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom