• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Most useless pokemon moves?

Synchronoise confuses me. o3o; Like, if Espeon uses the move against Leafeon, it'd do nothing, but against another Espeon it would do damage?

Indeed. Synchronoise only hits a Pokemon who has the same type as the user. Espeon can hit and Espeon, but not a Flareon.
To me, the most useless moves are: Water Sport and Mud Sport, only because they are only allowed on the movesets of Pokemon who have no need to weaken the types they weaken...Goldeen already resists Fire and Geodude takes no damage from Electricity!!!
And then there's Synchronoise. If it was given to more diverse Pokemon, then it would have it's uses....or not, it's pretty low on the scale of usefulness, even given to a potential Dragon type (like that would happen.) It seems that the worst moves are moves that aren't on the movesets of the right Pokemon.

Splash may be worthless, but it's a gag move on purpose. I remember, being 10 at the time I first played Pokemon, thinking that Splash might work if I were surfing. So I tried it...and became sad. XD

Other then Splash:

Mud Sport and Water Sport. Water sport would make sense on a grass type, but it's always on a water type.

Frost Breath... Seriously, I know, crit damage always which bypasses SP DEF boosts, but the thing is that ONLY ICE types learn it, and there is Ice Beam over there, it would be a BEAST of a move if Sniper Octillery or Kingdra could learn it, but no..

Splash one of the most useless and fail moves in all of Pokemon game history, period.

Some Water-types can also learn Mud Sport to help them out. Do you know Feebas can acquire that move? However, most Pokemon that get the move are immune to electricity, though.

To the person who said String Shot is useless, it's one of the stat-lowering moves that can hit all targets like Growl and Tail Whip (and Struggle Bug too!), so it has some uses in Doubles or Triples.

That's it for now.

Last Resort seems pretty useless to me, since it's only usable when all your other moves have 0 PP. How often do you use up so much PP that you're only left with one move? Most people heal their team by then.

See, I thought this too, due to vague details given in-game, but actually, Last Resort is usable after using all other moves once. I only found this out thanks to the Kimono sisters in HGSS as they did this on me. Serendipitous discovery I must say. Last Resort is nowhere near as useless now :p (I tend to teach it to any 'mon that can learn it now xD)

About the sport moves; Mud Sport is indeed useless, Water Sport, however, has found a niche thanks to Budew.

& I agree that Synchronoise is very useless. So useless it doesn't deserve to even be called a gimmick move, as gimmicks have more use than this move -.- & I actually figured out a way to use it with Umbreon; Miracle Eye your target then have Umbreon use synchronoise, there, it can be used, somewhat -.-

See, I thought this too, due to vague details given in-game, but actually, Last Resort is usable after using all other moves once. I only found this out thanks to the Kimono sisters in HGSS as they did this on me. Serendipitous discovery I must say. Last Resort is nowhere near as useless now :p (I tend to teach it to any 'mon that can learn it now xD)

I have been enlightened. Thank you, because honestly, had someone not spoken up, I would've continued thinking it was useless. The description really does need to be made a little clearer. >_>;

Anyways, with that in mind, I'm changing my opinion to Zap Cannon (after just having a little incident with it while playing my copy of Crystal). The base power is good, but that doesn't really make up for its awful accuracy and low PP. It's just not my thing, especially with the availability of Thunderbolt and such. Just my opinion as it doesn't match my playstyle.

You mean, most useless move besides Splash?

I'd have to say Water Sport and Mud Sport, but I only really feel annoyed by them whenever things like Goldeen or Geodude use them. Goldeen is already resistant to fire, and Geodude cannot be touched by electricity. I guess it's helpful for boosting the type resistances for the rest of your team, or when you're doing a double or triple battle, but not really for those two Pokemon. The only Pokemon I can think of that had SOME use with Water Sport was Budew.

Those moves are still a waste though to me. They probably don't do a lot for what they do.

I also personally found Helping Hand a bit pointless since I don't like doing double or triple battles anyway. But it does have some more use than Water or Mud Sport...

Frustration. i mean seriously, sure you can always lower its happiness power by feeding the poke bitter meds, and having it lose all the time (the point of that is...?) but the second you start walking it's power will be lowered! Talk about a high maintenance move >:/

Aqua Ring. Seriously can't you heal more than that. Its really pointless because it feels like my HP still remains the same. It always heals 2 hp everytime :/

Aqua Ring. Seriously can't you heal more than that. Its really pointless because it feels like my HP still remains the same. It always heals 2 hp everytime :/

Not useless when stacked with Leftovers and recover or some other recovery move.

Constrict, leech life, growl, tail whip,twister, dragon rage, rock throw, bullet seed, focus blast(there is aura sphere, plus focus blast has only 70% accuracy).
EDIT: Mud sport, water sport (most pokemon that can learn it are water type), wood hammer(there is power whip, plus it sucks that you take recoil), detect(it's protect - 5 PP) ,stun spore(there is thunder wave), poison powder and water pulse(there are surf and hydro pump).
EDIT 2: Supersonic(a 55% accuracy version of Confuse Ray) and Thunder(unless used in rain).
Oh, and trump card. it does s**t when you are using with full pp and this move ruins eevee and his evolutions.
EDIT 3: I forgot heal pulse. Unless you want to catch a Pokemon that is burned or poisoned, this move is the suckiest suck that ever sucked. Defog too(why is defog a hm in pokemon dppt?? it removes toxic spikes and stealth rock).
EDIT 4: Yawn(your opponent can easily switch out next turn), follow me and helping hand(you know why), gunk shot(for the same reason as focus blast. sludge wave/sludge bomb).

Last edited:
Constrict, leech life, growl, tail whip,twister, dragon rage, rock throw, bullet seed, focus blast(there is aura sphere, plus focus blast has only 70% accuracy).

Whats wrong with Rock throw? And not every Pokemon can learn Aura Sphere, such as my Alakazam.

For things like Focus Blast, there's also the issue of there, depending on the Pokemon you are trying to take down, a 70% chance of OHKOing or guaranteeing a 2HKO. More realistically would probably be a 49% chance to 2HKO a slower enemy that can effectively defeat you if they switch in (meaning you hit then when they switch in, and again in the next turn), or 3HKOing with a weaker move but guarantee your loss.

The high power, low accuracy moves are always a situation of cost-benefit analysis.

Of course, in the case of Focus Blast, its a means of bringing a similar move to a wider audience.

As for low-powered moves like Rock Throw, they exist to not make lower leveled Pokemon overpowered during playthrough. A Pikachu knowing thunderbolt at level 5 will plow through almost any other Pokemon around that level compared to if it knew Thundershock
Not useless when stacked with Leftovers and recover or some other recovery move.
Pretty useless when you're

1) Wasting a moveslot for a relatively weak healing move

2) If you have a better recovery move, its even more redundant.

Only useful if you're baton passing it, but even then, there's better moves like Ingrain to do that job since it keeps you from being forcibly switched, making Aqua Ring effectively useless in the grander scale of things.

Flatter is also useless due to its counter-intuitive nature of raising SAtk. At least Swagger can be used, more effectively, on Special Sweepers making confusion hits stronger without damaging yourself. What's the point in Flatter?
Not in Level 5 rival battles, but only not there.

I think Helping Hand is useless, as it can only be used in specific situations, and I don't think it's worth a whole move slot. Maybe Flatter/Lum berry, but not Helping Hand.
Double and Triple Battles is a much broader situation than, let's say, toxic-stalling. The move also stalks in triple battles, which means a Pokemon using a move that hits all three opponents will have their power raised by 1.5x twice, which is more powerful than a general level 2 stat boost (being 2.25 rather than 2.0

Last edited:
Whats wrong with Rock throw? And not every Pokemon can learn Aura Sphere, such as my Alakazam.
Well, rock throw's accuracy sucks in Pokemon RGY, and you need an X Accuracy to have success with Focus Blast.

Last edited:
Tail Whip / Leer, etc. All the first stat lowering moves in the beginning of the game.

The other Pokemon will ALWAYS have the counter to it when I wanted to use it. Leer / Growl / Leer / Growl / Get Frustrated and Use Tackle / Growl / Tackle again / Growl / Tackle is so weak now ffs / Growl / :'(

Luckily it doesn't take long to level and start wrecking them. Try to stare me down again, Lilipup. I dare you.

Frustration. i mean seriously, sure you can always lower its happiness power by feeding the poke bitter meds, and having it lose all the time (the point of that is...?) but the second you start walking it's power will be lowered! Talk about a high maintenance move >:/
I almost agree with this one, though the TM can give nearly any pokemon a very strong move rather instantly. (If it is a fresh catch, that is.)

It's not a move worth maintaining though, and can most likely be replaced rather quickly. It's definitely an ingame thing.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom