• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Most useless pokemon moves?

Follow me.
Only useful in double battles but considering the pokemons who learn it can't even take lots of hits. Correct me if I'm wrong here

I've seen this far too often and I need to point something out. Swagger raises the opponent's physical attack, while special attack is unaffected. Self-damage from confusion counts as a physical move, so if you use Swagger on a special attacker, then it will give you the obvious advantage.

So, based on that Flatter is the useless one, as it raises SP. ATK, which self-damage is not affected by

So, based on that Flatter is the useless one, as it raises SP. ATK, which self-damage is not affected by

Yes, that's exactly right. I actually first saw Flatter in the battle tower and immediately asked myself, "What the hell is this?!"

I know it was probably mentioned, but Splash.
I agree, Swagger is really useless. I mean, I've won battles because opponents used Swagger on me. Then there's Mud Sport. I don't think geodude needs more protection against electricity.
Well, with Swagger, you could use it, but make sure that the item the Pokemon is carrying heals itself of its confusion. Swagger raises its physical attack level, so I wouldn't say it's particularly useless. Mudsport...yeah, I agree with that. Geodude doesn't need it since it can't be affected by electric attacks anyway.

Mudsport...yeah, I agree with that. Geodude doesn't need it since it can't be affected by electric attacks anyway.

Every -sport moves are rather useless, since most pokémon who learn those moves are already resistant or immune to those types. The only exception are Masquerain and Budew (for Water Sport) and some Water Pokémon (for Mud Sport)... and still those are dispensable moves.

Another rather useless (for me) move is Helping Hand, since I raise my Pokémon in a balanced way, so it's often more convenient both Pokémon attacking separately than a Helped move.

Ah, the Gen V "Oath" moves... has someone used them ever?

I agree with Swagger. That's basically asking for a death wish if you're unlucky. Also Flash, Defog, Feint, Sweet Scent, Cut (why not just use Slash?) Rock Smash, and Splash (which does absolutely nothing).

Well, Splash is intended to be completely useless, as a way to express the lack of power of Magikarp. What I don't get is why there are other Pokémon able to learn Splash.

Yes, that's exactly right. I actually first saw Flatter in the battle tower and immediately asked myself, "What the hell is this?!"

I lol'd hard when an NPC used Flatter on my Own Tempo Doredia that had already Butterfly Danced.

I think the idea is to combine it with Psych Up, though few Pokemon are capable of such a combo. At least it's a bit better than it was in the past (in generation 3, when Flatter was first introduced, Illumise was the only Pokemon capable of this, and it still couldn't do it until Psych Up was made a tutor move in Emerald).

Well, with Swagger, you could use it, but make sure that the item the Pokemon is carrying heals itself of its confusion. Swagger raises its physical attack level, so I wouldn't say it's particularly useless.

Having a Pokemon with Own Tempo use it would be good as well, since an Own Tempo Pokemon can't be confused. (Apologies for double post.)

When it comes to using them in battle:

- Whirpool
- Sandstorm
- Fire Spin
- and, I think, Sand Tomb

I don't have the patience to wait for those moves to do decent damage. I want attacks to do a significant amount of damage right on the spot, not over a course of 5 turns.

When it comes to using them in battle:

- Whirpool
- Sandstorm
- Fire Spin
- and, I think, Sand Tomb

I don't have the patience to wait for those moves to do decent damage. I want attacks to do a significant amount of damage right on the spot, not over a course of 5 turns.

They do have the effect of trapping a Pokémon so that they cannot be recalled, though it is a poor man's Mean Look. So I guess they have a tiny insy bit of use to them.

OHKO moves... they can't be used if your playing OHKO clauses battle... even thought with it's shaky accuracy...

Natural Gift. A once use only attack (multiple times if you're using recycle as well but not only have you now lost two moveslots but you only attack every second turn) that is an absolute waste of a moveslot.

OHKO moves... they can't be used if your playing OHKO clauses battle... even thought with it's shaky accuracy...
Actualy,in the battle factory,I got diggelet's evolution that have fissure and I got two hits in a row.
Splash.Its useful in mystery dungeon,but not in the main titles.

Mud Sport on Geodude
Growl and Tail Whip and that crap
Imprison
Flatter. I can see that if you use Swagger, the target's attack goes up, causing it to hurt itself more, but why raise it's special attack?
Defog
Feint
Focus Punch

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom