• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Most useless pokemon moves?

Water Sport. I've always seen it as an inferior Rain Dance - more pokemon can learn Rain Dance, so it's more accessible and Water-type moves get a boost (while Fire-types get weakened).

Apart from Rain Dance being short-term, while Water Sport is long-term, I really don't see the point in its existence; Rain Dance is far more useful and accessible. IMO.

STRING SHOT!-_-I mean it only lowers the speed of the opponent,and mostly only Bug Pokemon like Wurmple have them....I mean is lowering their Speed gonna help Wurmple???Sorry Wurmple!!!!!!!>_<

Well, Return is only good when your Pokemon is happy. =p

Me Pokemanz love meh? 8D

Water Sport. I've always seen it as an inferior Rain Dance - more pokemon can learn Rain Dance, so it's more accessible and Water-type moves get a boost (while Fire-types get weakened).

STRING SHOT!-_-I mean it only lowers the speed of the opponent,and mostly only Bug Pokemon like Wurmple have them....I mean is lowering their Speed gonna help Wurmple???Sorry Wurmple!!!!!!!>_<

Agreed and agreed. Especially with String Shot!
Seriously, Wurmple is adorable, but I don't think lowering speed will help... xD

I've always wondered this.... why does geodude learn mud sport? isn't it used to lower electric attack power? and doesn't the effect disappear when pokemon who uses mud sport leave the battle? electric moves don't even work against geodude, its NOT a useful move for that poke.

Also I know this is about pokemon moves but Slakoth's ability truant.... does it have any use whatsoever? or is it to make training/battling with this Pokemon a challenge?

^ You can use Mud Sport in Double/Triple battles; even though Geodude isn't affected by Electric-moves, it's partner may be, so it can help there, I guess. It's still pretty useless, though. IMO.

Well, it was made to point towards Magikarp's widely-stated worthlessness and weakness. Otherwise, they would never have programmed it in, and Magikarp would have started with its (weak) Tackle.

A lot of crappy moves exist to give you something to use until better moves are available (like Astonish, Water Gun etc) and that's fine.

However there's really no excusing craptacular signature moves, like Seviper's Poison tail (which is unfair since Crush Claw is somewhat useful) or Genesect's Techno Blast (your item slot for a sub-par Water attack....whee). Having access to such unique moves shouldn't be something to be ashamed of :\

So, Splash's use is to be useless.
"This statement is false."

As a couple of people before me said, but that's not a contradiction nor is it a paradox.

A lot of crappy moves exist to give you something to use until better moves are available (like Astonish, Water Gun etc) and that's fine.

However there's really no excusing craptacular signature moves, like Seviper's Poison tail (which is unfair since Crush Claw is somewhat useful) or Genesect's Techno Blast (your item slot for a sub-par Water attack....whee). Having access to such unique moves shouldn't be something to be ashamed of :\

I can excuse Techno Blast because it gives me a mental image of Genesect blasting Daft Punk.

I find Synchronoise to completely and utterly useless. The times it can actually inflict any damage is very low.

And even when it can, it's usually not very effective.

That would have to be Imprison! Seriously when does a psychic type go up against another pokemon with the same moves as it AND is able to lock the move. Seriously the only thing it is really good for is forcing a switch when the opponent has a sweeper in and that is a rare occassion.

protect/ detect r 4 toxic stalling dudes but leer is useless

Not in Level 5 rival battles, but only not there.

I think Helping Hand is useless, as it can only be used in specific situations, and I don't think it's worth a whole move slot. Maybe Flatter/Lum berry, but not Helping Hand.

Synchronoise...it's just too specific about which pokemon it can hit.
Plus, as a psychic type move, if Umbreon learns it...it has literally NO use.

There are a few pokemon that could make good use of Synchronoise. Such as the Slowpoke line (as water is a diverse type and there are a few water/poison)

... Except they don't learn it. The closest is Sigilyph. I guess you could teach it to Vaporeon too if for some reason you want a non-stab psychic move that hits water types.

And the problem with it is that even being specific, it is still too weak.

Also going with Synchronoise.

I find Splash hilarious for some reason, so it's not entirely useless.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom