• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Most useless pokemon moves?

From my experience, Foul Play usually doesn't work too well, as I'm usually using it on a Psychic type. They don't have much attack, so it won't do too much.

[...]

And by that definition, it is useless.
[/B]

GatoRage has spoken.
Now close this thread, please.
But this thread is most useless pokemon moves (plural).
I don't get what's so obvious...?
Me neither, frankly. Even with my (loosely-held) modified view of the move, it still sounds like it removes Light Screen, Reflect, and Safeguard... eh, I just don't know.
From my experience, Foul Play usually doesn't work too well, as I'm usually using it on a Psychic type. They don't have much attack, so it won't do too much.
Foul Play can be one of those redundant moves (i.e., a second Dark move), or one of those moves which require no investment (similar to something like Night Shade). It's a pretty good move. It can be used somewwhat similarly to the FEAR strategy (pack a focus sash and this move) as well.

Work Up has the same effect as Growth, while Bulk Up is a physical version of Calm Mind.
Um... Bulk Up is a really good move when you're fighting a physical attacker.
Yeah sorry about that, my bad.
I forgot that Work Up rises both ATK stats and not the physical DEF like I remembered.
Meh...It DID seem odd that they'd do something like that, but mistakes happen...Like this one, for example.

The Pledge moves are weak and only ueful in 2v2, but there's no reason a pokemon can't pack redundant moves of the same type.
I never said you couldn't/shouldn't carry, for example, both Flamethrower AND Fire Blast.
Surprisingly many people use things like that, Fire Punch / Flare Blitz Emboar for example.
But the point still stands doesn't it? Practically you will never see the pledge moves, right?
Like I said; they're not that powerful and need another pledge user to give their full potential.
It would help if other than starters would learn those too, but so far those are pretty useless.

Alright people, lets just settle this:

Splash is the most useless. It's the only move that does nothing.
I don't care if it's "funny" or "lulzworthy". 'lolz' doesn't inflict damage, it doesn't inflict status problems, and it doesn't lower or raise stats. It does nothing.
Tackle does something. Growl does something. Leer does something. Splash does nothing.
NOTHING.

GatoRage has spoken.

if your opponent uses mimic you teach them a useless move - very impractical but a possibility

you've been taunted & wobbuffet switches in - rather than risk damage from counter / mirror coat you can use splash - also good when they're packing a custap berry to use destiny bond before your finishing move (this is the only viable use imo)

could be used on an imposter ditto - not practical but it's still a use

i have spoken now please don't ask for the thread to be closed "alright"

Alright people, lets just settle this:

Splash is the most useless. It's the only move that does nothing.
I don't care if it's "funny" or "lulzworthy". 'lolz' doesn't inflict damage, it doesn't inflict status problems, and it doesn't lower or raise stats. It does nothing.
Tackle does something. Growl does something. Leer does something. Splash does nothing.
NOTHING.

GatoRage has spoken.

Go away if you're going to whine.

Anywho, I can't think of any more!

GatoRage has a point though.. the point of this thread was to discuss the most useless move. Splash does nothing, whilst every other move has some purpose.

GatoRage has a point though.. the point of this thread was to discuss the most useless move. Splash does nothing, whilst every other move has some purpose.
That was not the point of the thread. If you read the original post and the title, 1) Splash, being the obvious candidate, was not to draw too much attention / be endlessly discussed, and 2) this thread is for the discussion of most useless moves--again, plural.

To maybe add something to the thread, I don't really get the use of Wake-up Slap. It can be a doozy with Technician I'm sure, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

That was not the point of the thread. If you read the original post and the title, 1) Splash, being the obvious candidate, was not to draw too much attention / be endlessly discussed, and 2) this thread is for the discussion of most useless moves--again, plural.

But no move except Splash is useless. Every move has a use (except Splash).
Therefor, Splash is the only one that can be given the title "useless".

Hey guys, let's leave the discussion of whether or not something belongs in a thread up to the moderators' discretion.

I don't see the point of giving Normal type attack moves to any other type but Normal. I think all normal type moves are bad without the STAB a Normal pokemon would get from them. The reason I say this is because a Normal type move will never be super effective discounting Hidden Power and Judgement because these moves become other elemental types.

So really if you gave lets say a Hydreigon with a very high special attack a Hyper Beam, this move won't get STAB and will never be super effective against any opponent and therefore is only reliable for it's base power.

The only useful Normal type attack moves seem to be Quick Attack and Extreme Speed for pokemon of a different type for a low HP quick kill, but that's it.

That's why I discount all normal type attack moves unless I am using a Normal type pokemon like Porygon-Z for example.

Understand where your coming from, but I'd hate to miss out on Return for certain Mons.

That said, its counterpart Frustration is absolutely useless. I believe that GF wanted to do something with it at first, but later on just forgot about it and left it there.

The watersport & mudsport moves are useless. The fact that ground types typically learn mudsport is even a bigger LOL. The same thing for water types learning the watersport since weaking fire types should not be a problem. I realize these are probably for double battles, but I'd rather simply attack than waste time.

Incinerate is absolutely useless. Its too situational to even matter and too weak to make up for it.

But no move except Splash is useless. Every move has a use (except Splash).
Therefor, Splash is the only one that can be given the title "useless".
The title of the thread also includes the word 'most.' If it were just 'useless pokemon moves,' then Splash might very well be the only move that qualifies. I can see a use for most any move--however, many are only justified in certain situations. If the situation is unlikely, or the move is rather ineffective even if the condition is there, then a move can be practically useless.
Hey guys, let's leave the discussion of whether or not something belongs in a thread up to the moderators' discretion.
He's saying that Splash sums up the thread; a look at the first post says that the sentiment is diametrically opposed to the the point of the thread.

Per my above post, I don't think that Wake-up Slap is such a useless move anymore. Regarding Normal type moves, the type obviously isn't that powerful offensively--so, like many other moves, Normal moves should be considered for their secondary effects. That said, there are many more good Normal offensive moves that aren't useless/outclassed--Fake Out, Feint, Covet, etc.

I don't honestly think that Incinerate's effect is worth it. Its even weaker than ember plus there is no way to tell that your opponent is holding a berry, and even if they were then so what?

Its just as useless as splash, except it simply does a little damage.

Incinerate is a piece of shit move. Why they made it a TM is beyond me. Thirty base power? Really.

Constrict sucks balls. It's insanely weak (ten base power!?).

Present. Yeah, base power of forty with a chance to heal eighty HP? No.

That said, its counterpart Frustration is absolutely useless. I believe that GF wanted to do something with it at first, but later on just forgot about it and left it there.

Contrary to what you are saying, frustration is very useful in competitive battling.A large number of battlers use frustration instead of return so that they can counter imposter dittos.

And yes,splash can be used in contests, so it isnt as useless as people say it is.

I found Incinerate to be useful early on against Pokemon like Audino and Cheren's starter.

Incinerate could have been more useful if it burnt leftovers.
No! They could do something even better with it like "Incinerate should burn the opponent's item.Due to the item being hot,the opponent loses 4% health every turn till he flings his item away."

Incinerate could have been more useful if it burnt leftovers.
No! They could do something even better with it like "Incinerate should burn the opponent's item.Due to the item being hot,the opponent loses 4% health every turn till he flings his item away."

The only way I could see this working would be with the Iron Ball. Other wise I don't like this idea.

Try holding to something burning or just burnt out.You will see what i mean.

I have done, but if they where to do this, then Flamethrower would have been a better option.

Anyway, Incinerate means to reduce to ashes, not heat up so its to hot to hold.

I have done, but if they where to do this, then Flamethrower would have been a better option.

Anyway, Incinerate means to reduce to ashes, not heat up so its to hot to hold.

then flamethrower would have been broken. Well,hold to hot ashes and then see.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom