• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Most Useless Pokemon

And thus, when compared to other, much more useful and powerful Pokemon, they become, in fact, useless.

Or are you saying that they have the same level of usefulness than Gyarados, Ninetales, Arcanine, Dragonite, Salamence, Tyranitar, Garchomp, Lucario, the Starters, Metagross and Milotic?

But they're not less useful, just less powerful. They do the same things, just not as well. They're not obsolete just because you could train something with better stats.

But they're not less useful, just less powerful. They do the same things, just not as well. They're not obsolete just because you could train something with better stats.

Isn't that sort of the definition of the word?

well i believe Magikarp pokemon can be given moves to aty least damage others ive never found one for magikarp another might be Smeargle because it can only learn one move.

another point is how you train them if you train the appropriatly they will be stronger than if you "cheat"

Isn't that sort of the definition of the word?

Not the adjective definition, no. It's unfair to compare Pokémon like Butterfree and Beedrill to the likes of Dragonite and Garchomp. Butterfree and Beedrill were intended to reach their final forms quickly and provide a boon for players before the rest of their Pokémon began evolving and overtaking them in statistical prowess. In that sense, they are useful.

Unless you're basing this purely on their usefulness within the competitive battling side of Pokémon, every Pokémon has it's uses; be it simply a change from using a stronger equivalent so stave off the boredom of using the same Pokémon over and over, or just because some of them look better.

I'd have a Butterfree over a Dragonite any day!

Not the adjective definition, no. It's unfair to compare Pokémon like Butterfree and Beedrill to the likes of Dragonite and Garchomp. Butterfree and Beedrill were intended to reach their final forms quickly and provide a boon for players before the rest of their Pokémon began evolving and overtaking them in statistical prowess. In that sense, they are useful.

Unless you're basing this purely on their usefulness within the competitive battling side of Pokémon, every Pokémon has it's uses; be it simply a change from using a stronger equivalent so stave off the boredom of using the same Pokémon over and over, or just because some of them look better.

I'd have a Butterfree over a Dragonite any day!

Normally, I'd agree with you 100%, but if we take that approach to it, then this whole thread is completely pointless as no one can say anything at all.

Therefore, in the context of this thread, there have to be a few useless Pokemon. The ones I mentioned are as good as any.

When you're surrounded by Pokemon that're super powerful, the weak ones start seeming like they're "useless" - I really don't think that's the case, though. They're just not as powerful as what we're used to.

Anyways, Luvdisc and Unown are what strike me as being the least useful in battles/etc. I played through Crystal with just an Unown before... I remember it being absolute hell.

I was so hyped about capturing all 26 formes of Unown back in Gold to realize that that was it. nothing more. :-/

Personally, I think Unown. I've never used it, never found a use for it. I dunno if it even has any awesome moves..

Personally, I think Unown. I've never used it, never found a use for it. I dunno if it even has any awesome moves..

Unown's moves consist of Hidden Power and... Hidden Power

Zubat; all he does is make your journey across a four-tile cave take hours.

Of course, Crobat can be very useful, but if we're talkin' about single pokemon, then all I have to say to GameFreak about Zubat is ,"Why, GameFreak, WHY!?"

I personally hated Magicarp. There's a trainer in HG/SS that has a level 60 something Magicarp. When I defeated it I got less experience then a lvl 20 something wild poke.

As far as which poke I was the least thrilled with investing time to train, I would probably say Tyranitar. Any fighting move used against him destroyed him, even if the poke wasn't a fighting type. I remember when Alakazam one shot him with the sp att based fighting move in the E4. I think my exact words were 'fuck this game.'

and that's your choice. You can make them useful for your team, but that doesn't mean they're not useless pokemon.

Oh, and Corsola. He's also useless.

"you can make them useful but that doesn't mean they're not useless"...that's completely contradictory.

I hate this " Pokemon who don't excel in competitive battling are pointless" mentality that so many people seem to have. EVERY Pokemon can be put to use in some way (well, except maybe Magikarp)

Also Corsola...she (75% female species) is most certainly not useless. People obviously have no creativity if a Pokemon like this is deemed "useless"

in my oppinion, only the worst of the worst of the worst are useless.

Unknown. that's all i can think of, one move, very common abbility, sub-par stats.

Luvdisc too
Heart scale... allthough, now, since heart scales arn't found that way, luvdisc is useless.

but, all other pokemon are usefull in some way.

Houndoom and Ninetails outclassed by Heatran in competitive?
Welcome to NU and UU.

Magikarp, Zubat?
Gyrados, Crobat.

Ditto?
Breeding.

Biddof, Zigzagoon, Rattatata?
most commen hm slave. ever

"you can make them useful but that doesn't mean they're not useless"...that's completely contradictory.

I hate this " Pokemon who don't excel in competitive battling are pointless" mentality that so many people seem to have. EVERY Pokemon can be put to use in some way (well, except maybe Magikarp)

Also Corsola...she (75% female species) is most certainly not useless. People obviously have no creativity if a Pokemon like this is deemed "useless"
yeah, that was poor wording on my choice. I thought about that as soon as I hit post, but decided not to change it.

let me word it this way.

Any pokemon is usable in game. You can always find a use for it in game, so I see no reason to even argue about the practicalities of using it in game.

I speak only of the competitive aspect of pokemon, because thats where distinctions can be made. That's where you can look at the different pokemon and cast aside the useless ones.

And yeah, there are useless ones. The fact that you attack the
" Pokemon who don't excel in competitive battling are pointless"
mentality is rather telling. Because this is competitive. And if they're not good, they're useless. That has nothing to do with creativity, because creativity is how you get the sets. That has everything to do with base stat totals, move-pools, typing, ability. and if they're not good enough, why use them? There are better things? They serve no purpose when they've been done better.

and yeah, Corsola is ok for breeding. but there are better things to pass on the necessary egg moves

I speak only of the competitive aspect of pokemon, because thats where distinctions can be made. That's where you can look at the different pokemon and cast aside the useless ones.

And yeah, there are useless ones. The fact that you attack the mentality is rather telling. Because this is competitive. And if they're not good, they're useless. That has nothing to do with creativity, because creativity is how you get the sets. That has everything to do with base stat totals, move-pools, typing, ability. and if they're not good enough, why use them? There are better things? They serve no purpose when they've been done better.

Yes, that's valid, why use a Blazekien when you can have Infernape, but, as i said above
welcome to UU and NU.

save for about half of NU, and the majority of NFE, no pokemon is useless competitivy.
and salamance/garchomp.
they are useless now that they are uber.

I posted this in another thread, but I think it's relevant here too.

Note that this refers only to NU Pokemon.

Instead of repeating myself, I'll just use the nifty little quote option:

The trick is separating the crappy Pokemon from the good, but outclassed ones.

For example:

-Ninetales
-Meganium
-Entei
-Espeon
-Regirock
-Regice
-Articuno
-Slaking
-Regigigas
-Manectric
-Medicham
-Jumpluff
-Charizard
-Typhlosion
-Flareon
-Glaceon

Are all excellent Pokemon in their own right. They can all more than hold their own in the higher tiers (yes, both UU AND OU) but they get outclassed or hindered by something that keeps them down. They're not bad at all, there's just better options out there.

Respectively:

-Ninetales- Houndoom
-Meganium- Venusaur
-Entei- Arcanine
-Espeon- Alakazam
-Regirock- Registeel
-Regice- Registeel/Blissey
-Articuno- Stealth Rock/poor defensive typing
-Slaking- Traunt
-Regigigas- Slow Start
-Manectric- Jolteon
-Medicham- Gallade
-Jumpluff- Sceptile
-Charizard- Moltres/Blaziken/Infernape
-Typhlosion- Arcanine/Moltres/Houndoom/Blaziken/Infernape
-Flareon- Arcanine
-Glaceon- Poor defensive typing/bad speed

Then there's the real crap Pokemon. These are the Pokemon you would never send to fight a Salamence, Tyranitar or Dragonite. Not if you're in any way interested in winning, that is.

-Noctowl
-Pidgeot
-Butterfree
-Beedrill
-Beautifly
-Dustox
-Masquerain
-Dunsparce
-Corsola
-Camerupt
-Magcargo
-Lumineon
-Seaking
-Vileplume
-Bellossom
-Shiftry
-Bastiodon

to name a few.

Sorry, but the fact is that there are underrated Pokemon (the former) and bad Pokemon (the latter). The bad Pokemon can still be infinitely cool (and in fact, I'm a personal fan of a ton of them [love Pidgeot, Noctowl and all the Grass types mentioned, for example]), but sadly, they are just statistically inferior.

why are people BLATENTLY ignoring the fact that there are Tires to this shit?

your NEVER gonna have to fight a beedrill against a salamance.

BECAUSE ONE IS IN UBER, AND THE OTHER IS IN NEVER USED.

granted, beedrill sucks in NU as well, but that's beside the point

Chatot is also useless

I thought this at first, but Chatot has decent attacking stats for the low tiers as well as Nasty Plot. I don't think it's useless :)

Swellow...houndoom

ahahahahahahahahahaahahhahahahaha

For gens 1-4, Pikachu.
The mascot of the fucking franchise sux like hell unless it holds a light ball and even then is so easy to OHKO?
And it's evo is only usable in NU and UU?
No thanks.

Sure it is a glass cannon, but I wouldn't say a base 90 Speed Poke with nice mixed offensive stats is useless.

My vote would be Spinda. It's like Farfetch'd - Signature Item.

And...HOW DARE ANY OF U MOCK VILEPLUME.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom