• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Most Useless Pokemon

The title of this thread should have been 'Most Useless Pokemon in the metagame' because a Pokemons 'uselessness' is otherwise subjective. And before someone says that the title of the thread implies this - it does not. It's unfair to assume that anyone looking in the 'Video Games' threads is a slave to the metagame.

A 'useless' Pokemon in my opinion...?

Cresselia.

Why? Because it's a roaming legendary that took me f****** ages to catch yet nowadays it is shoved in my face from every direction when battling. Therefore, it's a rare, yet massively common Pokemon. Useless in my view of the Pokemon world.

The title of this thread should have been 'Most Useless Pokemon in the metagame' because a Pokemons 'uselessness' is otherwise subjective. And before someone says that the title of the thread implies this - it does not. It's unfair to assume that anyone looking in the 'Video Games' threads is a slave to the metagame.

A 'useless' Pokemon in my opinion...?

Cresselia.

Why? Because it's a roaming legendary that took me f****** ages to catch yet nowadays it is shoved in my face from every direction when battling. Therefore, it's a rare, yet massively common Pokemon. Useless in my view of the Pokemon world.
I can add a few to that:

Lati@s in Ruby and Sapphire along with the three Johto Legendary Beasts in FireRed and LeafGreen. Why? They have NO DECENT IVs. At. All. My Entei from LG is only "decent" in HP. It's the same with my Latios from Ruby. They are rendered useless because of that stupid IV glitch. And there is nothing I can do to change it. :banghead:

Purrloin. I love its design but its seriously sucks. It can't take a hit and it can't really give one either, and early in-game in BW/BW2 a dark-type isn't useful at all. I've tried to use it early game, just as like a back-up or filler until I found a different pokemon, since its so cute, but it was seriously almost like having it on my team was minus a pokemon. O_O Don't ask me how, it just was.

Mothim. At least Wormmadam lets you experience how pokemon can acquire different types if evolved in certain places. Mothim can't do that

Just thought I'd add: Quite a few people have mentioned Sunkern and Ditto but at least they are good at Pokeathlon...they're the best at it actually.

As for Pokemon I used? Blitzle in Black 1 quickly comes to mind. It can't seem to take any hits at all, and it's attack is mediocre too. Is this in the competitive online battling? No, this was in the main game; I had to ditch it because I had so much trouble raising it - all because of my Blitzle being 1-3HKOed by mons several levels below!

Pikachu was good against Misty in RBY, and Viola in XY, and evolved into Raichu, which worked for me whenever I needed to 1-2HKO a Pokemon with a STAB supereffective move - esp a Gyarados. And both don't die from a hit by a underleveled wild Pokemon.

Luvdisc, Luvdisc, Luvdisc. Did I mention Luvdisc? The thing is weak all around. It doesn't evolve, unlike Sunkern or Magikarp. And its design is pretty lame. At least Pokemon like Farfetch'd or Chatot have decent designs... Luvdisc is a freaking pink heart turned on its side. With eyes.

I absolutely love onix, however as a story pokemon he is too soft, too slow, poor move pool makes him terrible on your team. I did a whole run in pearl using onix as my starter and some others I traded in. using bind and rage to kill everything was frustrating.

Snivy and its line in-game. The hardest starter I've ever had to work with in my runthroughs. I had to utilize the monkeys just to get through the game with it. At that time I was still trying to mainly use starters.

Snivy and its line in-game. The hardest starter I've ever had to work with in my runthroughs. I had to utilize the monkeys just to get through the game with it. At that time I was still trying to mainly use starters.

Come to think about it, Gen 5 was the hardest to work with. Mainly because of bad stats that derails my gameplay in-game (Blitzle's and Purrloin's poor defense that make Pikachu look like a Chansey/Tyranitar/Gyaradoes), and lack of TM that I could teach (Snivy).

I actually disagree. Although they had a less-then-decent movepool in game, I beat Marshall using only Serperior on my first time through the League. They had cool designs and a nice concept, and Snivy evolved twice like any other starter, which is ardly the most useless pokemon in the games.

I actually disagree. Although they had a less-then-decent movepool in game, I beat Marshall using only Serperior on my first time through the League. They had cool designs and a nice concept, and Snivy evolved twice like any other starter, which is ardly the most useless pokemon in the games.

I used snivy. I had a grass stall setup it was slow but dependable.

I used snivy. I had a grass stall setup it was slow but dependable.

AKA you used the Coil / Leaf Blade / Toxic set that is the only one that makes Serperior usable.

imo the Monkey's might be the worst Pokemon to raise. The first time they learn their good move is in the mid-20s then they don't learn too many good moves after that.

I struggled with some of the Gen 5 mons, Blitzle and Unfezant come to mind, mainly because they kept getting KO'd and don't hit too hard.

I am currently suffering a similar problem with my Helioptile in X. My Honedge has a few strikes against its name as well

Unown is the easiest choice.
Only learns Hidden Power and not anything else going for it.
Male Combee. No evolution, poor stats and no deep movepool.

And for people who say Magikarp is the worst, that's the joke.
Every Pokedex entry on him mentions how weak it is.
Admit it. You used a Magikarp during some point just for laughs.

And for people who say Magikarp is the worst, that's the joke. Every Pokedex entry on him mentions how weak it is. Admit it. You used a Magikarp during some point just for laughs.

Magikarp is just hard to train. It takes a ton of EXP and has very few moves in game. If I had the option I'd wait until I can get a Gyarados, which I'm sure is what may people do.

Unown is the only-- I repeat, ONLY-- Pokémon I consider to be truly useless. It's only purpose in the game is to be a gimmick.

Probably Cradily. Grass TMs are rare, and he learns no Grass moves by leveling up.
Also Scissor. But only until Gen IV.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom