• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Most valued shiny ?

Shiny Charizard is the popular choice, but personally, I think Shiny Metagross should be the most desired. I mean seriously:
Spr_5b_376_s.png

Who doesn't want this awesome silver thing?

iv only ever cought 1 shiny and it was a mareep back in the original Silver game, but I no longer have it=[
I'v encountered a shiny Zubat, but k.o it on accident. that was a sad day.

The rarest shiny Pokémon are event Pokémon that are possible to have shiny (yes this is possible), though they lose their trade value because everyone assumes it's impossible/must be hacked - and why would you wanna trade it away anyway if you had one?

Let's look at how you can get event pokémon shiny legit:

Mew - Faraway Island event in Emerald
Celebi - Only possible in GenII through distribution events or the Ilex Forest event in JP crystal. Impossible from GenIII onwards so can't be shiny in GenV (you can't trade from GenII to GenIII)
Jirachi - People have looked at the code of the Colosseum bonus disk and this Jirachi can be shiny. (though interestingly the Japanese bonus disk Celebi can't be shiny)
Deoxys - Birth Island event in Fire Red/Leaf Green/Emerald
Phione - Breed it from Manaphy, it has the same chance as any other pokemon
Manaphy - Shinyness is based on 2 things, the personality value and your trainer/secret ID. When Ranger sends the egg to your game, there's a shiny checker that makes sure it's not shiny when it hatches based on your trainer/secret ID. However if you trade it to another game before it hatches, the trainer/secret ID changes and the personality value stays the same - making it possible to be shiny
Darkrai - Newmoon Island event in Platinum
Shaymin - Flower Paradise event in Platinum

Arceus has an ingame location in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum but a legitimate way to get there was never released, Victini/Reshiram/Zekrom have a shiny check on their encounters, Keldeo/Meloetta/Genesect have only been released at events with the shiny check on.

The rarest shiny Pokémon are event Pokémon that are possible to have shiny (yes this is possible), though they lose their trade value because everyone assumes it's impossible/must be hacked - and why would you wanna trade it away anyway if you had one?

Celebi - Only possible in GenII through distribution events or the Ilex Forest event in JP crystal. Impossible from GenIII onwards so can't be shiny in GenV (you can't trade from GenII to GenIII)
Jirachi - People have looked at the code of the Colosseum bonus disk and this Jirachi can be shiny. (though interestingly the Japanese bonus disk Celebi can't be shiny)
Manaphy - Shinyness is based on 2 things, the personality value and your trainer/secret ID. When Ranger sends the egg to your game, there's a shiny checker that makes sure it's not shiny when it hatches based on your trainer/secret ID. However if you trade it to another game before it hatches, the trainer/secret ID changes and the personality value stays the same - making it possible to be shiny

Arceus has an ingame location in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum but a legitimate way to get there was never released, Victini/Reshiram/Zekrom have a shiny check on their encounters, Keldeo/Meloetta/Genesect have only been released at events with the shiny check on.
I would think Arceus would be the rarest, no matter what. Arceus has never been released and if it's shiny, it's a bonus. ;D
Yeah, I wish I would of realize Zekrom/Reshiram couldn't be shiny. I restarted my giant white game that had tons of pokemon on it to see if I could get Zekrom shiny. ;.;
But back on topic...Yeah. Arceus HAS to be the rarest. But that's my opinion. It's the rarest Pokemon and if it's shiny it makes it more rare, no matter if it was hacked.
But I guess if not Arceus then maybe Victini...Hm, not sure. =/ It's an interesting topic, that's for sure.

I would think Arceus would be the rarest, no matter what. Arceus has never been released and if it's shiny, it's a bonus. ;D
Yeah, I wish I would of realize Zekrom/Reshiram couldn't be shiny. I restarted my giant white game that had tons of pokemon on it to see if I could get Zekrom shiny. ;.;
But back on topic...Yeah. Arceus HAS to be the rarest. But that's my opinion. It's the rarest Pokemon and if it's shiny it makes it more rare, no matter if it was hacked.
But I guess if not Arceus then maybe Victini...Hm, not sure. =/ It's an interesting topic, that's for sure.

Arceus HAS been released, it just isn't possible shiny. A hacked shiny Arceus isn't as rare as a legit shiny Shaymin, and a lot less valuable. I think I would dispute your assertion that Arceus is the rarest Pokémon, but only because it was made available to everyone in the Dream World a while back (apart from Korea). I'd say the rarest Pokémon is probably Celebi or Meloetta, the only 2 Pokémon so far that has required you to go to a store and download it (the rest have been on Wi-fi in some way, either through direct download, an item that takes you to their place, Ranger, or DW). Of course if you're willing to spend a lot of money you can get Celebi from the Japanese colosseum bonus disk, which I guess technically makes it less rare than Meloetta.

Arceus HAS been released, it just isn't possible shiny. A hacked shiny Arceus isn't as rare as a legit shiny Shaymin, and a lot less valuable. I think I would dispute your assertion that Arceus is the rarest Pokémon, but only because it was made available to everyone in the Dream World a while back (apart from Korea). I'd say the rarest Pokémon is probably Celebi or Meloetta, the only 2 Pokémon so far that has required you to go to a store and download it (the rest have been on Wi-fi in some way, either through direct download, an item that takes you to their place, Ranger, or DW). Of course if you're willing to spend a lot of money you can get Celebi from the Japanese colosseum bonus disk, which I guess technically makes it less rare than Meloetta.
I forgot about that Dream World release! Huh, well I got schooled then! xD.
But alright. You got a good point. But what about Jirachi? Or did that have some giant, big release that I don't know about? :p Because I would think that might be rarer then Celebi, you know. Because Celebi has had a lot more events surrounding it? I'm not sure, since I haven't really studied into it. But I would think Jirachi would be rarer then Celebi, because Celebi had an event in Crystal (And in Gold and Silver too, perhaps, can't remember) and as well as in Heartgold and Soulsilver. Then you got the Japanese Colosseum disc. And I believe Jirachi was only distrubted in the American Colosseum disc or in some sort of special disc promotion.
But, yet again, I'm not so sure of it. Please school me some more. :3

I forgot about that Dream World release! Huh, well I got schooled then! xD.
But alright. You got a good point. But what about Jirachi? Or did that have some giant, big release that I don't know about? :p Because I would think that might be rarer then Celebi, you know. Because Celebi has had a lot more events surrounding it? I'm not sure, since I haven't really studied into it. But I would think Jirachi would be rarer then Celebi, because Celebi had an event in Crystal (And in Gold and Silver too, perhaps, can't remember) and as well as in Heartgold and Soulsilver. Then you got the Japanese Colosseum disc. And I believe Jirachi was only distrubted in the American Colosseum disc or in some sort of special disc promotion.
But, yet again, I'm not so sure of it. Please school me some more. :3

List of Wi-Fi English event Pokémon distributions in Generation IV - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

In Europe/Australia it was also available through Pokémon Channel, which is fairly easy to get your hands on if you live in Europe/Australia

I'd like to say Manaphy, Jirachi, and Mew are, objectively, the most rare and worthy shinies in the whole world and here's why:

~Shiny Manaphy can only be obtained by RNGing abusing two different games more often than not (as well as owning Pokémon ranger) to counter a programming glitch in Gen IV games: a glitch that disables shininess when Pokémon are traded as Eggs. I mean, if I trade an Egg that's supposed to be shiny from my Soul Silver to my Platinum, it will show up shiny during the hatching cutscene, but it will NOT by shiny anywhere else (summary screen, in-battle, etc). Thus, you need to obtain a valid ID/Secret ID in the target game to make the hatched Pogeyman shiny. tl;dr, it's a HASSLE.

~Shiny Mew. Mew can ONLY be shiny if caught in Emerald's Faraway Island. And guess whut: Only japanese players got a chance to visit that place.

~Shiny Jirachi can be only obtained via Pokémon Colosseum's Bonus Disc. And even then, the odds of receiving a shiny PID for that Jirachi are ridiculously low.

I'd like to say Manaphy, Jirachi, and Mew are, objectively, the most rare and worthy shinies in the whole world and here's why:

~Shiny Manaphy can only be obtained by RNGing abusing two different games more often than not (as well as owning Pokémon ranger) to counter a programming glitch in Gen IV games: a glitch that disables shininess when Pokémon are traded as Eggs. I mean, if I trade an Egg that's supposed to be shiny from my Soul Silver to my Platinum, it will show up shiny during the hatching cutscene, but it will NOT by shiny anywhere else (summary screen, in-battle, etc). Thus, you need to obtain a valid ID/Secret ID in the target game to make the hatched Pogeyman shiny. tl;dr, it's a HASSLE.

~Shiny Mew. Mew can ONLY be shiny if caught in Emerald's Faraway Island. And guess whut: Only japanese players got a chance to visit that place.

~Shiny Jirachi can be only obtained via Pokémon Colosseum's Bonus Disc. And even then, the odds of receiving a shiny PID for that Jirachi are ridiculously low.
Wow. So those definetely are the rarest, then...I got schooled big time. :p
Sheesh, how much would one of these, legitimate and all, be worth? 50 Arceus's or more? :eek:

And thanks, 1quacka1 for the info. Will have to check into that. ; )

Wow. So those definetely are the rarest, then...I got schooled big time. :p
Sheesh, how much would one of these, legitimate and all, be worth? 50 Arceus's or more? :eek:

Hard to tell...
Shiny Manaphy may be rare, but it's a pretty common sight in RNG Abuse communities. It's probably the least rare out of the three. :3
Shiny Jirachi will pretty much always have terrible IVs, so the only reason to get one is for bragging rights. :3
Finally, shiny Mew has been done by everyone who doesn't mind RNG Abusing on roms and emulators. Sure, it's ultra cool and all, but many consider it a bit non-legitimate (and arguably for a good reason). I've never a single retail-cart shiny Mew, though. I know I'd offer some hardcore stuff for it.

Last edited:
Mami Tomoe said:
Hard to tell...
Shiny Manaphy may be rare, but it's a pretty common sight in RNG Abuse communities. It's probably the least rare out of the three. :3
Shiny Jirachi will pretty much always have terrible IVs, so the only reason to get one is for bragging rights. :3
Finally, shiny Mew has been done by everyone who doesn't mind RNG Abusing on roms and emulators. Sure, it's ultra cool and all, but many consider it a bit non-legitimate (and arguably for a good reason). I've never a single retail-cart shiny Mew, though. I know I'd offer some hardcore stuff for it.
Wowza. What if they weren't legitimate, though, would they still be worth that much? Because if so, I can kiss having a shiny Mew and Jirachi goodbye. ;.; Since I wouldn't be able to afford it. xD.

Wowza. What if they weren't legitimate, though, would they still be worth that much? Because if so, I can kiss having a shiny Mew and Jirachi goodbye. ;.; Since I wouldn't be able to afford it. xD.

Well, it depends. RNG and most conservative communities will call you a witch and flame you if it's not 1000000% legitimate. In the end, their worth is merely a subjective thing...

Well, it depends. RNG and most conservative communities will call you a witch and flame you if it's not 1000000% legitimate. In the end, their worth is merely a subjective thing...
True, true. Even if they weren't legitimate, I would still think they'd be valuable. As long as they don't crash people's games, I'd think in the end everybody would want a shiny mew, at the least. But, then yet again, who knows? :p I'm not an expert on these things, so I can't say for sure.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom