• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Move-of-the-Week Discussion #50: Acrobatics

Reaction score

In Pokémon, there are lots of different moves used by different Pokémon. Every week, we shall focus the discussion on a different move, and there will be some base questions that would help you start this off. This week, Acrobatics is chosen.

Generation 5 graced us with a move with an interesting catch. If Acrobatics were to be used normally, it will have a rather low power. However, if the user isn't holding any item, this move will do double damage. As the name implies, it is a move that is acted in a nimble manner. The main users are fliers, which is to be expected for a Flying-type move. Still, there are some nimble users as well, especially the monkeys.

Here's the in-game description of this move:

In-game Description (BW) said:
Type: Flying (Physical)
Base Power: 55
Accuracy: 100%
PP: 15

The user nimbly strikes the target. If the user is not holding an item, this attack inflicts massive damage.

Here are the usual possible questions about this move:
  • How does certain Pokémon who knows this move use it? What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
  • How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
  • Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
  • How would this move be used in battling, realistically or video game-wise?

Other questions (You could ask other critical questions beyond the listed):
  • What kind of acrobatics are involved with this move? Are each of the Pokémon with this move capable of different feats of acrobatics?
  • There is no discrimination in regards to the item held, so this move wouldn't reach its full potential even if the user is holding a light item, such as a berry. Why is that?
  • A proven strategy is to have the user hold the Flying Gem, because that way, the first use of Acrobatics will reach its full potential in addition to getting a power boost from the gem. Would this strategy be as applicable in the real Pokémon World?

Here are the current users of this move (put in Spoiler tag due to the large list):
(Level-up)
  • Zubat, Golbat & Crobat
  • Farfetch'd
  • Hoppip, Skiploom & Jumpluff
  • Gligar & Gliscor
  • Chimchar, Monferno & Infernape
  • Pansage
  • Pansear
  • Panpour
  • Archen & Archeops
  • Emolga
  • Meloetta

(Technical Machine)
  • Butterfree
  • Beedrill
  • Venomoth
  • Mankey & Primeape
  • Mew
  • Ledyba & Ledian
  • Aipom & Ambipom
  • Scizor
  • Mantyke & Mantine
  • Treecko, Grovyle & Sceptile
  • Blaziken
  • Beautifly
  • Dustox
  • Volbeat & Illumise
  • Lunatone & Solrock
  • Mothim
  • Vespiquen
  • Drifloon & Drifblim
  • Uxie, Mesprit & Azelf
  • Simisage
  • Simisear
  • Simipour
  • Woobat & Swoobat
  • Eelektrik & Eelektross
  • Cryogonal
  • Mienfoo & Mienshao
  • Hydreigon
  • Larvesta & Volcarona
  • Tornadus

Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!

~ The General Pokémon Forum Staff

Previous Move-of-the-Weeks:

Next Move-of-the-Week: An influential move that encourages the opponent to perform the same actions again and again.

I see that all the monkeys can learn it. My guess is that it's based on the general concept that monkeys can swing from one tree to another using branches or vines - like a trapeze artist. And of course, they'd naturally have a harder time getting across with 'items'.

In terms of berries... animals don't have pockets (with the exception of a few species), so they'd have to hold it in their hands or mouth. I assume that would be a discomfort, and thus hinder the movement anyways

I imagine that this move works very similar the ability Unburden, which boosts speed when an item is lost. Either the item would be too heavy to easily move, or as Kyriaki said, it frees up their hands so they can maneuver easier. This move would probably allow the user to do a series of flips, changing direction sporadically before striking the opponent from different angles. If they have freer movement, the user could deal more damage by striking more times and from a point where the target is more vulnerable.

I think that Infernape should learn this move, since it is the only monkey-like Pokemon to not learn it and it definitely would have acrobatic capabilities. It's definitely more quick and nimble than Eelektross or Solrock, despite them having Levitate.

Its a strange one, for flying types the lighter weight would allow more speed...

But for anything else more weight would help because of the impact force. Is fling a reverse Aerobatics?

Enzap: Infernape does learn Acrobatics at Level 52, so yes, all monkey Pokemon can learn it.

I feel like its really become more of a gimmick move than something people would actively use in a moveset. Other than the typical Flying Gem abuse, I could see being used as a back-up move on something using a pinch berry, or maybe on a Reversal set when said move isn't going to be effective/immune.

Its a strange one, for flying types the lighter weight would allow more speed...

But for anything else more weight would help because of the impact force. Is fling a reverse Aerobatics?

Fling is not really a reverse Acrobatics. There is definitely a contrast between both moves in that one works best without an item, but one works best with an item. The thing is, Acrobatics can be used anytime, even if the user carries an item, compared to Fling, which is dependent on the user carrying an item because otherwise, it will fail. Even then, Fling works best with an Iron Ball, because that yields the highest power, but since that item slows down the user, it's not quite as useful. On the other hand, status-inducing items are not too bad with Fling.

Thanks for reading.

Enzap: Infernape does learn Acrobatics at Level 52, so yes, all monkey Pokemon can learn it.

Oh, I never noticed that. I just assumed he didn't learn it because I didn't see him on the list of TM learners. Thank you. ^^

Just by the name "Acrobatics," I think we can assume that this attack isn't just a simple falling or dashing attack, so the extra weight would not be beneficial for this move. If you look at professional gymnasts, many of them are young, very slim, and short. This is probably what Game Freak had in mind when they created this attack.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom