• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Move-of-the-Week Discussion #94: Forest's Curse

Dorothy

My love is stronger than my fear of death
Reaction score

In Pokémon, there are lots of different moves used by different Pokémon. Every week, we shall focus the discussion on a different move, and there will be some base questions that would help you start this off. This week, Forest's Curse is chosen by @cityvillain;.

With Generation VI came the introduction of two sets of ghoulish Grass-type Pokemon - the Phantump and Pumpkaboo lines. Both lines share a Ghost/Grass type combination as well as the trait of having trade as their evolution method. Another trait shared by the two lines is their possession of a signature move each, both with similar, yet differing, effects.

Phantump and Trevenant's signature move is Forest's Curse, which forces the Grass-type onto the target, in addition to the types the target already possesses. If the target is already Grass-type, the move will fail. This allows for some new possibilities, like a triple weakness to certain types like Fire on Scizor (Bug/Steel/Grass) or reduced impact on Ground attacks.

Here's the in-game description for this move:

Pokemon X & Y said:
Type: Grass (Other)
Base Power: --
Accuracy: 100%
Base PP: 20

The user puts a forest curse on the target. Afflicted targets are now Grass type as well.

Here are the usual possible questions about this move:
  • How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move? What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
  • How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
  • Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
  • How would this move be used in battling, realistically or video game-wise?

Other questions (You could ask other critical questions beyond the listed):
  • How might this move relate to legends or folklore, either in our world or, potentially, in the world of Pokemon?
  • Would the appearance of the target change drastically if inflicted by the curse?

Here are the current users for this move:
(Level-up)
  • Phantump & Trevenant

Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!

~ The General Pokémon Forum Staff

Previous Move-of-the-Weeks:

The user with the best post will receive the right to vote for next week's move on a Friday, as chosen by the mods of this section. The next move is based on criteria, as listed below.

Next Move Criteria: Increased-Priority Moves

Moves: Aqua Jet, Baby-Doll Eyes, Bide, Bullet Punch, Crafty Shield, Detect, Endure, Extreme Speed, Fake Out, Feint, Focus Punch, Follow Me, Helping Hand, Ion Deluge, King's Shield, Mach Punch, Magic Coat, Powder, Protect, Pursuit, Quick Attack, Quick Guard, Rage Powder, Shadow Sneak, Snatch, Sucker Punch, Vacuum Wave, Water Shuriken, Wide Guard

In the world of Pokemon, there were myths and tales that Phantumps are lost children who died in the woods. The myth can be supported that Trevenant and Phantump have the ability to curse and make someone in to grass-type. So that would have started the myths about it. I personally don't like the idea of humans turning into Pokemons and just think of it as a tale to scare off the children to wander in the forest woods.

Along with Trick-or-Treat, I find it interesting that this move doesn't just insert a type to something, but it only adds it on, unlike Soak. That is because it means you cannot immediately follow up with a super-effective attack if your target isn't right (like say, a Poison/Flying that is affected by Forest's Curse taking a Bug attack). It certainly have interesting possibilities like Fire/Steel/Grass on Heatran (to reduce Water and Ground damage). I do wonder if the effect of adding a type would be made even better if it is in the form of an ability or even an item. Imagine an ability that adds Grass to a Pokemon (maybe like Wood Body) to simulate a triple type, or an item called Wood Armour to give a new type to something. I think that as a move, type additions isn't as broken because for one, it takes up a move slot, and moves are important to have. Another reason is the effect doesn't affect the user. If it does, it becomes more useful.

I am not sure if it's common, but I imagine that it's commonly found in folklores if forests are found in the origin point. In Japan it could be, in Europe it could be, but definitely not Africa. It was a time when superstition was a tool to discourage anybody from venturing the forests especially at night (which could be because of the animal hunters like snakes). Obviously the conversion to plant doesn't actually happen, but the outcome is creepier than being hunted (because the latter could be overcome with weapons). Even now, it is creepy to think about being turned into a plant because plants cannot move. If that were to happen in Pokemon, this move would be very useful on the basis of limiting opponent's movement.

I think that when something is affected by Forest's Curse, they will grow leaves on their body and probably some grass, and their body becomes a bit wooden. It's likely the effect only happens on a skin level rather than the whole body, considering how the effect is removed when recalled. If they can't be recalled, the Pokemon might have to get used to their new "body".

Thanks for reading.

I thought the added grass-type stays even if you switch your Pokemon.

I think that when something is affected by Forest's Curse, they will grow leaves on their body and probably some grass, and their body becomes a bit wooden. It's likely the effect only happens on a skin level rather than the whole body, considering how the effect is removed when recalled. If they can't be recalled, the Pokemon might have to get used to their new "body".

That's what I envision too. Since it just adds the Grass typing, it would make sense for them to be covered in leaves or vines that might permeate the skin, but not change the target's structure or makeup in any way.

I'll be handling MotW this week, and the person who has selected this week's move is winstein!

For convenience sake he already told me he wants the move to be Fake Out.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom