• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Move Tutors/Expanding movepools

Zeb

what is your spaghetti policy here?
Reaction score
Most people would like move tutors to return, but which moves would you like to see and/or which Pokemon would you like to see gain new moves from them? Chances are classic move tutors like Outrage, Superpower, etc will return if move tutors are in but as shown with B2W2, older moves may even be made into move tutors (like they did with String Shot).

HGSS also added new egg moves to some Pokemon, so that's another thing that may happen here.

Well, if Move Tutors are included (hopefully), the must-haves (IMO) are Sucker Punch, Stealth Rock, Hyper Voice (particularly for Gardevoir), the elemental punches, Superpower, Knock Off and Pain Split. There are probably many more viable ones, but those are what I consider the best. I also think it's high time Probopass gets Head smash as an egg move, now that they finally introduced a Mineral family that actually has it.

Honestly, I don't get the point of (some) move tutors... I don't see why they should exist at all... (Not to hurt your feelings, move tutors.)

But seriously, when you think about it, all a move tutor is is non-portable TM.
(Excluding the move tutors that ask for shards/BP and teach a move in exchange for them... THOSE move tutors should exist.) But the idea of "free" move tutors is pretty pointless. Why don't they just make them TMs? The only difference is the annoying aspect of having to go to that certain guy's house EVERY SINGLE TIME. I just don't get it... (Honestly, I want someone to explain this to me....)
[/rant]

Anyway, seeing as HGSS, as well as FRLG had move tutors although the originals didn't, it would make sense for ORAS to as well. As you may have noticed, I'm not a big fan of move tutors, so I'm not really sure what specific moves they should teach. But PLEASE don't make them free tutors. If you're planning on making free tutors, make the TMs instead, please GF. PLEASE.

Knock-off should return. There are a lot of Pokemon that benefit from it, but are limited in that you need to transfer Pokemon from Gen V tutors. Right now, I'm training a Scrafty, and Knock Off would be a huge boon to its move-set.

Also Hyper Voice--Pixilate isn't that great an ability without it with its current users.

Last edited:
I also don't see the point in several of the offered moves. Who would exchange anything to learn Uproar, Bind, Iron Defense, and Wonder Room? wait all of those are pretty kinky wait what

I'd actually like to see Hoenn Pokemon getting tutored some of the moves that were exclusive to many Kalos Pokemon. There are moves I've never even heard of because I never trained the Pokemon, such as Noble Roar and Powder. It would also be great to intertwine Kalos and Hoenn. Boomburst is already shared between Exploud and Noivern.

Pretty much all the good moves that are only currently available in BW2 like Superpower, Elemental punches, Heat Wave, Hyper Voice, Iron Head, Drain Punch, Knock Off, Drill Run, Bug Bite, Aqua Tail, Earth Power, Foul Play, Pain Split and Sneaky Pebbles.

I think that at the very least, all of the move tutors from FireRed/LeafGreen, Ruby/Sapphire and Emerald should return (excluding those that are now TMs), so:

• Body Slam
  • Counter
  • Double-Edge
  • Dream Eater
  • Dynamic Punch
  • Endure
  • Fire Punch
  • Fury Cutter
  • Ice Punch
  • Icy Wind
  • Mega Kick
  • Mega Punch
  • Metronome
  • Mimic
  • Mud-Slap
  • Rollout
  • Seismic Toss
  • Snore
  • Softboiled
  • Swift
  • Thunder Punch
  • Sleep Talk

Then, some of the other moves that were move tutor moves in Gen V (like Helping Hand, HeatWave and Earth Power) can come back too.

I just want transfer-exlusive moves. Hyper Voice and Bug Bite for Gardevoir and Scizor. I got these Pokemon in Gen VI so they can't learn those moves, so :B Anything else would be a bonus, but those moves are the only things on my wishlist right now.

It'd be nice if they gave Fairy types, y'know, Fairy-type moves instead of having to rely strictly on TMs for that.

The new move tutors I want most are play rough and parting shot. Besides that they could give most fairy types moonblast and update some older movepools, like every grass type besides wormadam learns earthquake so why not give them all earth power as well. Grass doesn't exactly get the best coverage moves naturally.

Something else to note is Secret Power, it was a purchasable TM in Gen III as you'd need it to create your secret base. I'm thinking they might make it a reusable move tutor like they did with Headbutt in HGSS.

As for tutors, I'm expecting most of the moves we've already seen in the past generations, including ones that lost TM status. I might expect Sticky Web to make an appearance as a new move tutor move, which would give Mew a huge boon, along with other bug types.

As for moveset expansion, Meowstic M/F could use Nasty Plot/Amnesia, it fits both of their roles as an attacker and supporter respectively. Also Head Smash on Aerodactyl would be awesome to see. That Tough Claws boosted Head Smash would be insane.

It's possible that starter Pokemon from Hoenn will get a new Egg Move each. Maybe something like Dragon Dance for Treecko, Rototiller for Mudkip and Beat Up for Torchic. The latter would be interesting for Mega Blaziken because it will have 21 BP x 6, making it a hard-hitting move if you used it early.

I would like to see at least one Fairy Move Tutor too. Moonblast would be a good candidate for one, which would be learned by Pokemon related to the night like Noctowl or Umbreon, or maybe Litwick too. Would be nice to see Aura Sphere being a move tutor as well.

Thanks for reading.

I'm really hoping they'll give primal Groudon Heat Crash now that it's part fire type. With the highest weight in the game here's the base power on most pokemon you'll see in ubers (mega sableye's weight is not known yet):

120 = <199,94: every mega and their base form that is not tyranitar, gyarados or aggron (yes including mewtwo, blaziken, the lati's, sceptile, swampert and diancie), landorus(-t), darkrai, deoxys (all), ho-oh (barely), klefki, genesect, sylveon, thundurus(-t), Wobbuffet, Aegislash, Bronzong, Excadrill, ferrothorn, forretress, gliscor, shaymin (both), Whimsicott, blissey, chansey, clefable, cloyster, Quagsire, sableye, gothitelle, jirachi, shuckle, skarmory, smeargle, amoonguss, ditto, cresselia, gastrodon, latias, latios, talonflame, greninja, salamence, espeon, azumarill, mew, florges, tornadus(-t), victini, manaphy, most other things.

100 = 199,94 - 249,92: xerneas, yveltal, lugia, rayquaza, tyranitar, scolipede (barely), gyarados, dragonite

80 = 249,93 - 333,23: arceus (all), mega tyranitar, hippowdon, kyurem (all), mega gyarados, terrakion, reshiram (barely), rhyperior, zygarde

60 = 333,24 - 499,85: (primal) kyogre, palkia (barely), zekrom, heatran (immune), (mega) aggron, bronzong (with heavy metal)

40 = 499,85>: dialga, (primal) groudon, giratina (both), aggron (with heavy metal), avalugg (new groudon counter lol), metagross (for those of you hoping for a viable mega)

Most stuff with a base power lower than 100 resists fire anyway and it hits a load of stuff for high damage without any drawbacks. In sun it's gonna hurt even more.

Revolutionary idea I know, but whomever will teach Draco Meteor should expand this to Pokemon of draconic design, heritage, genes etc. This mainly applies to Mega Ampharos and Mega Sceptile as both gain the Dragon type with phenomenal Special Attack stats, when they Mega Evolve. yet they each only have Dragon Pulse (at a BP of 85) to work with.

And it isn't as if the move is truly Dragon type exclusive. Smeargle as well as event Pokemon have possession of the move. So lets make it happen.

I don't mind if all the past move tutors returned....except for Seismic Toss.

We can now breed Seismic Toss onto Chansey via Mawile. I'd rather not have Seismic Toss Kangaskhan be a common thing. Sure, regular Kangaskhan may hit harder against low defense Pokemon, but what's the point in being a wall when Parental Bond M-Khan can basically 2HKO with absolutely no investment in offense?

Or change Parental Bond's mechanics.

In particular, I'm really hoping that Counter is brought back as a tutor move. I'd like to see some moves added, too.

I don't mind if all the past move tutors returned....except for Seismic Toss.

We can now breed Seismic Toss onto Chansey via Mawile. I'd rather not have Seismic Toss Kangaskhan be a common thing. Sure, regular Kangaskhan may hit harder against low defense Pokemon, but what's the point in being a wall when Parental Bond M-Khan can basically 2HKO with absolutely no investment in offense?

Or change Parental Bond's mechanics.
Make the second hit have 25% or 33% the power of the first hit. This would work the same with Seismic Toss, resulting in a deduction of 125 of 133 HP for anyfin hit by it.

Make the second hit have 25% or 33% the power of the first hit. This would work the same with Seismic Toss, resulting in a deduction of 125 of 133 HP for anyfin hit by it.

The second hit already has 50% of the first hit, and Seismic Toss still does full damage both times. They should just make things with set damage hit once.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom