• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Move Tutors/Expanding movepools

The trailer just confirmed that Shiftry learns Leaf Blade, which is something it couldn't learn before. So it'll probably be an Egg move (with a small possibility of a tutor move maybe). Curious to know about other Pokémon now!

Nah, I bet it's gonna be added to its level up moves. The Seedot line have no physical Grass moves barring Razor Leaf, if you choose to use it on your team, so they probably realised this when making these games/doing trial playthroughs that they needed to give it some moves (in fact Nuzleaf's entire level up movepool is atrocious and Shiftry is a stone evo). It does get Seed Bomb, but that's move tutor only, which is useless (and currently unavailable) when playing through the main game. The line should have learnt Leaf Blade games ago, especially since Shiftry has giant leaves for hands >_>

And with the Rock Smash TM becoming a HM, it will probably be replaced with Secret Power as TM94.

Hopefully they expand Swampert's movepool to have access to a physical Ice move or two. I know it has physical Ice egg moves, but I'd like to see level up. Or at least earlier move tutors than previously.

With Shiftry now having access to Leaf Blade, I think Game Freak will give Sceptile a level-up Dragon-type move (Dragon Rush or Dragon Pulse).

Hopefully they expand Swampert's movepool to have access to a physical Ice move or two. I know it has physical Ice egg moves, but I'd like to see level up. Or at least earlier move tutors than previously.

If this game is anything like HGSS, Ice Punch should be available as a tutor move for Swampert.

I'd rather they focused on fixing horrible level up movepools (e.g. Nuzleaf, who doesn't learn one single Grass move and iirc only has Faint Attack for Dark) than giving something like Swampert unnecessary Ice moves through level up, when it already has a good movepool to work with. It just doesn't help fix the actual problems that exist, like loads of them not having good STAB moves at all. Swampert is fine.

Please let Kecleon finally learn Camouflage... please...

Flash seems to still be a TM which makes sense as it's not a required move to progress. Dive most likely will be HM07. As for Rock Smash changing from a TM to a HM mid-generation, it is so it prevents players from sequence breaking by trading over a Pokemon with Rock Smash. Specifically the rocks in Rusturf Tunnel and Route 111.

I'm hoping the Sucker Punch tutor returns from Gen IV, after being absent in B2W2. Malamar and Pangoro in particular are two Kalos mons I can see benefitting from it.

Flash seems to still be a TM which makes sense as it's not a required move to progress. Dive most likely will be HM07. As for Rock Smash changing from a TM to a HM mid-generation, it is so it prevents players from sequence breaking by trading over a Pokemon with Rock Smash. Specifically the rocks in Rusturf Tunnel and Route 111.

They didn't need to bring back Rock Smash to prevent that, they could've simply replaced those rocks with other obstacles.

Some Gen VI moves I can see as move tutor attacks, in decreasing order of likeliness:

1. Play Rough (usually Game Freak makes powerful physical moves with narrow distribution as tutor moves)
2. Parabolic Charge (moves with low base power but very narrow distribution have been made as tutor moves)
3. Sticky Web (with Electroweb being a thing in the past gen, I wouldn't put past Game Freak to add this one in)
4. Parting Shot (moves that were once signature moves, like Electroweb, became tutor moves)

I really hope they upgrade Torchic and Combusken's movesets. Their moves lack compared to the other starters, especially their fire moves. Torchic learns Flamethrower at such a high level, and no other suitable fire moves in between its obtaining of Ember. Same applies to Combusken who learns less fire type moves than its evolutionary predecessor, with its next move being Flare Blitz (once again, at a late level). I mean, they could give the birds at least Flame Charge, or the newly buffed Incinerate. Heck, give Combusken Fire Punch! I just don't want to have to rely on Overheat like I did in the original Ruby.

I'd rather they focused on fixing horrible level up movepools (e.g. Nuzleaf, who doesn't learn one single Grass move and iirc only has Faint Attack for Dark) than giving something like Swampert unnecessary Ice moves through level up, when it already has a good movepool to work with. It just doesn't help fix the actual problems that exist, like loads of them not having good STAB moves at all. Swampert is fine.

I disagree. Swampert is physical attack based (generally) and Ice is probably it's most important counter type of move to have. And the only Ice type moves Swampert can learn currently are all special (non-egg).

I disagree. Swampert is physical attack based (generally) and Ice is probably it's most important counter type of move to have. And the only Ice type moves Swampert can learn currently are all special (non-egg).

You disagree why? Because you want Swampert to be able to beat the only type it's weak to? Swampert has respectable Sp.Atk, just teach it Ice Beam. And as I said, there's loads of Pokemon that lack any decent STAB move through levelling up, or if they do have one, they don't receive it until very late into the game; they should focus on fixing those first before doing something as unnecessary as giving Swampert physical Ice moves through levelling. I can understand liking a Pokemon, but there needs to be priorities in these sort of things and I don't see why giving Swampert a physical Ice move should be a priority as it does fine with its Water and Ground moves... except against Grass types, which it's supposed to be weak against anyway. If Swampert was an Ice type, I could understand your wish. But it isn't and I don't understand when there are more problems in movepools that should be fixed before giving Swampert Ice moves.

The Lombre line is long over due for a moveset over haul, the only grass move it learns level up is Absorb, the only new move it's gotten is Zen Heabutt and Bubblebeam which is pretty shallow compared to other pokemon.

Personally I'm hoping for the elemental punches + drain punch to end up as Move tutors/ egg moves, and then for Swampert to get Drain Punch. Since Swampert has a mega now, it needs some way to heal itself without leftovers, and I doubt Nintendo will give it Recover.

Give Gyarados Crunch pls

Also bring back Focus Punch.

Giga Drain should come back as a TM. Many Pokemon would benefit being able to learn it again.

Giga Drain will likely return as a tutor move and there's always Energy Ball as a TM.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom