• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves & Abilities Discussion/Speculation

Vyrron

#TeamSword
Reaction score
So what kind of abilities and moves do you think/hope they will introduce in Generation VII? And which of the old ones will be nerfed/buffed? Do you think they will remove certain moves/abilities for the sake of simplicity like Ken Sugimori mentioned?

Last edited:
Some better physical Fire moves would be nice. And a bit more variety to the moves Fairy-type gets.

Better physical Electric moves would be welcome lord knows Luxray and Electivire need it bad. More special rock type moves would also add variety to rock types and improve some existing ones. Parental bond needs to be adjusted so the second hit never activates secondary effects at the minimum. All variants of swift should be buffed to 80 base power like aura sphere so people would actually use them, aerial ace having 80 base power would help all those physical flying types who lack brave bird.

Abilities ...

- If we think about all 6 past gen Imposter, Levitate, Wonder Guard, Change Stance were the best.
More pokemon for these or more abilities of this kind.
Prankster, Aftermath, Magic Boounce give them to more pokemon and more of diffrent types.

And create new abilities that make:

ability 1. gives user immunity to all physical moves not depending on their type .

ability 2. gives user immunity to all special moves not depending on their type .
(1 and 2 should not be only for legendaries, think of them like of Levitate, but nerf them to a plausible level(type combinations/movesets/stats), work for the first 4 turns in battle, or causes user 1/6 damage every turn.
Want them to break the type sheme and focus more on the special/physical theme.)
(I want a dragon/ghost skeleton with ability 2, with stats between Shedinja and Gengar)

ability3. "Invisibility", the user can only be seen and hit for a turn when it self uses a damage dealing move on that turn. Becomes invisible when not using damage dealing moves(stats only). The user will always be hit by moves that always(100%, No Guard) hit the oponent or all oponents at once.(Surf, Heat Wave, Earthquake)

ability4. oposite of Wonder Guard. Reverse Wonder Guard.(name can be anything, the effect counts)

ability 5.
the pokemons first attack on the field will 100% hit the target, its for pokemon that use 1 hit KO moves (Sheer Cold)

ability 6.
pokemon faint's but can attack one lat time and hits 100% for sure.

ability7.
this one would work like = Mirror Coat+Counter , but only for the first turn. (for Wobba line and Mr Mime if they mega evolve or regular. Also new ones could have it: Ice/bug ; Ice/steel or a steel/ghost mirror)

ability8.
Cursed Chronology- oponents pokemon need to use all 4 moveslots/attacks in a order, a attack cannot be used twice or the pokemon faints.(The oponent needs to use every move in their moveslots and repeat: a,b,c,d,a,b,c,d)
(this is something for a fairy/ghost pokemon based and in the shape of a living cursed book)

- new terrain casting moves or abilities : for Ice types, Bugs (swamp), ground ( sand based, ; rock types got sandstorm)
- power up terrains and create terrain cast abilities like with weather.

Last edited:
More Special Attacking Rock Moves with more distribution...

If Mega Lunatone happens, I will be disappointed if my only choice for Rock STAB is Hidden Power or Ancient Power

I'd like to see an entry hazard with a positive effect as opposed to all the current ones that only have punishing effects. Though then I guess it wouldn't be an entry 'hazard'. It could restore health, cure status, or maybe give a stat boost.

Hawk Eyes
Effect: Grants perfect accuracy
Note: I want this to replace Mega Pigeot's No Guard--it fits better with the abilities of its pre-evolution and it doesn't hinder itself. Best part? Since its a Mega Evolution, there's no compatibility issues with trading since Pigeot will only ever be transferred in its base form.

Negate
Effect: Cancels the effects of all items and abilities (both the user and Pokemon). Trainers are unable to use items on their Pokemon.
Note: I've always just wanted an ability that was basically screaming "I WANT GEN I BACK". On a serious note, I think this would cause a lot of disruption in the competitive scene, and quite possibly wreck Double Battles. Its two sided so the user has to be careful as well.

Mega Suppress
Effect: Pokemon cannot Mega Evolve. Already Mega evolved Pokemon's base-stats return to their pre-evolved state. Mega Pokemon's abilities remain the same.
Note: I've always wanted to see a hard-counter to Mega Evolutions. Perhaps this could be the ability of an artificial Pokemon created by the evil team? I figured Mega Suppress can't force a Pokemon to transform back when its already in its evolved form, but it can "suppress" the stat increases. Given that a lot of the Pokemon's abilities seem tied to their physiology, I kept the abilities the same.

Berserker
Effect: Raises the Pokemon's attack and special attack by one stage. The Pokemon is now confused.
Note: I want this to be a "retro ability" for Mewtwo transferred from Gen I, or perhaps an ability a Pokemon obtains when holding the Berserk Gene. I modified the effects from the original Berserk Gene so that it doesn't favor physical attackers.

Last edited:
Mega Suppress
Effect: Pokemon cannot Mega Evolve. Already Mega evolved Pokemon's base-stats return to their pre-evolved state. Mega Pokemon's abilities remain the same.
Note: I've always wanted to see a hard-counter to Mega Evolutions. Perhaps this could be the ability of an artificial Pokemon created by the evil team? I figured Mega Suppress can't force a Pokemon to transform back when its already in its evolved form, but it can "suppress" the stat increases. Given that a lot of the Pokemon's abilities seem tied to their physiology, I kept the abilities the same.
Hmm a neat idea, and something I've thought of before...
Seeing how XY and ORAS both have separate myths on which Pokemon they think was the first to Mega Evolve, I think SM should give us its own such myth for an SM Legendary. And that Legendary, being the first to Mega Evolve, would also have control over Mega Evolutions in general, and would get this ability "Mega Suppress" as you call it, as their OWN Mega ability. But it wouldn't suppress their OWN Evo, but all other Pokemon (and the user's own other Pokemon in double+ battles.)

The only problem I see with that is this: If there's a new mechanic that encompasses things like Ash-Greninja in the actual games, it might not actually count as Mega Evolution - same with Primal Reversion, the one mechanic that can give stat boosts to more than 1 Pokémon on a single party (though obviously it has to be Groudon and/or Kyogre on the field alongside the Mega).

So it's like Storm Drain only it works on all water type moves and not just single target ones.
Then again, he could be describing Desolate Land, which actually does evaporate Water-type moves and render them completely useless so long as it's up...

I can assume his intention is for that sort of ability to be more obviously widespread than both it and Storm Drain, and perhaps be on Fire-types given its name.
Question, though, @Alexander - How would it work in Doubles?

Edit: @The Outrage - How does that ability I quoted work in Doubles? Is Mega Suppress something like an aura that affects the entire field (and therefore your own Pokémon)?
And on that note, it'd be ironic if the only Pokémon that could have that ability are those that Mega Evolve to activate it. So I'd imagine it'd be on a Pokémon that couldn't. I kinda see a bit of the TCG influence in this, actually, since there's several cards that centre around dealing extra damage or preventing effects and damage if they face a Pokémon-EX, of which Mega Evolutions fall under that banner.

> a Grass-type priority attack, preferably a special one, if only because physical ones dominate the priority group. Like, dominate.

> new Abilities that activate Gravity, Terrains or Trick Room when the Pokémon enters the battle (the Trick Room one would activate at the end of the switch-in turn for obvious reasons and could be Hidden/Mega exclusive to avoid making the playthrough convoluted), similarly to how the weather Abilities work.

> physical Hidden Power equivalent maybe?

I have tons of ideas for new moves and Abilities, honestly:
Magnet Armor: Draws in all Steel-type moves, which then raise the user's Defense by one stage.

Strong Blow: Boosts the wind-based attacks by 50%. That's Silver Wind, Ominous Wind, Heat Wave, Icy Wind, Fairy Wind, Razor Wind, most of the Flying-type special moves etc.

Short-Sighted: This Pokémon ignores the opponents' items. This means no additional damage from Life Orb holders, no damage-reducing Berries activated by this Pokémon's attacks and even hitting ALL Arceus formes with super-effective Fighting attacks.

Safe Entrance: Upon entering the battle, this Pokémon immediately hides behind a 1HP Substitute.

Wave Entrance:
Upon entering the battle, this Pokémon blows away Reflects, Light Screens, Substitutes and Safeguards from both sides of the field.

Wave Escape: When switching out of battle, this Pokémon blows away all entry hazards from both sides of the field.

Fast Guard: The Pokémon is immune to priority attacks. Really don't know why it doesn't exist yet.

Power Block: As long as this Pokémon is on the field, no Pokémon can have their stats raised by any means.

Ally's Force: In Double/Triple battles this Pokémon's attacks use the Atk and SpA stats of a random ally present on the field.

Type Pride: All of this Pokémon's attacks do twice the damage against opponents with the same type(s) as this Pokémon.

Fearless: This Pokémon receives half the damage from Mega-Evolved Pokémon's attacks.

Cheerleader: Hitting this Pokémon with an attack locks the attacker into using the move, Encore-style.

Aroma Dance
Category: Special
Type: Fairy
The user raises its SpA and Speed by one stage. Meaning Dragon Dance for special attackers. I'm thinking Grass, Fairy and Poison Pokémon mostly, but with some fitting Bugs and Normals, why not.

Danse Macabre
Type: Ghost
All Pokémon on the field, including the user, are now afflicted with curse.

Masquerade Ball
Type: Fairy
All Pokémon on the field, including the user, have their type(s) replaced by random types (every mon becomes single-type). One cannot change into its own type by random, so, for example, a Roserade will not become a Grass nor a Poison type Pokémon.

Change Room
Category: Status
Type: Psychic
Accuracy: -
Creates a 5-turn environment that prevents all Pokémon from using the same move twice in a row.

Active Room
Type: Psychic
Accuracy: -
Creates a 5-turn environment that prevents all Pokémon from using protecting moves (Protect, Detect, King's Shield etc).

Fiery Burst
Type: Fire
Accuracy: 100%
The user faints after using this move. All Pokémon on the battlefield are now burned.

Entry Strike
Type:
Dark
Category: Physical
Base Power: 60
If the Pokémon hit has just entered the battle and replaced the targeted opponent, this attack's power doubles.

Sturdy Seed
Type: Grass
The user plants a nutrient-filled seed underneath themselves or an ally. The next grounded Pokémon that enters the battle (on the same spot in Doubles/Triples) is given a boost of +2 Def and +2 SpD. An unused Sturdy Seed can be removed by aiming a Ground-type attack on that spot. You can't plant two seeds in one spot.

Power Seed
The user plants a nutrient-filled seed underneath themselves or an ally. The next grounded Pokémon that enters the battle (on the same spot in Doubles/Triples) is given a boost of +2 Atk and +2 SpA. An unused Power Seed can be removed by aiming a Ground-type attack on that spot. You can't plant two seeds in one spot.

Trapping Seed
The user plants a hostile seed underneath an enemy. The next grounded Pokémon that enters the battle (on the same spot in Doubles/Triples) becomes unable to switch out. An unused Trapping Seed can be removed by aiming a Ground-type attack on that spot. You can't plant two seeds in one spot.

Protective Seed
The user plants a helpful seed underneath themselves or an ally. The next grounded Pokémon that enters the battle (on the same spot in Doubles/Triples) can't be hit by attacks during its first turn. An unused Protective Seed can be removed by aiming a Ground-type attack on that spot. You can't plant two seeds in one spot.

Thieving Seed
The user plants a hostile seed underneath an enemy. The next grounded Pokémon that enters the battle (on the same spot in Doubles/Triples) loses their item. An unused Thieving Seed can be removed by aiming a Ground-type attack on that spot. You can't plant two seeds in one spot.

Clumsy Seed
The user plants a hostile seed underneath an enemy. The next grounded Pokémon that enters the battle (on the same spot in Doubles/Triples) has their Ability nullified. An unused Clumsy Seed can be removed by aiming a Ground-type attack on that spot. You can't plant two seeds in one spot.

Health Seed
The user plants a helpful seed underneath themselves or an ally. The next grounded Pokémon that enters the battle (on the same spot in Doubles/Triples) is cured of all status conditions. An unused Curing Seed can be removed by aiming a Ground-type attack on that spot. You can't plant two seeds in one spot.

Cursed Seed
The user plants a hostile seed underneath an enemy. The next grounded Pokémon that enters the battle (on the same spot in Doubles/Triples) has a Ghost-type added to it usual type(s). An unused Cursed Seed can be removed by aiming a Ground-type attack on that spot. You can't plant two seeds in one spot.

Target Seed
The user plants a hostile seed underneath an enemy. The next grounded Pokémon that enters the battle (on the same spot in Doubles/Triples) has their evasion lowered by two stages. An unused Target Seed can be removed by aiming a Ground-type attack on that spot. You can't plant two seeds in one spot.

Spring Seed
The user plants a helpful seed underneath themselves or an ally. The next grounded Pokémon that enters the battle (on the same spot in Doubles/Triples) receives +1 priority to its first move used. An unused Spring Seed can be removed by aiming a Ground-type attack on that spot. You can't plant two seeds in one spot.

And there's plenty more where that came from.

Evaporate would stop water attacks from doing damage to pokemon itself.
Hold up, though. Why not use Storm Drain and Water Absorb instead, if your idea of Evaporation is to protect only the Pokémon that has the ability? Or am I reading this wrong? You tell me.

Short-Sighted: This Pokémon ignores the opponents' items. This means no additional damage from Life Orb holders, no damage-reducing Berries activated by this Pokémon's attacks and even hitting ALL Arceus formes with super-effective Fighting attacks.
This seems like hell to program. And an Arceus killer specifically? Yeah, no, I don't think that will sit well with players, lol
Still, though, the rest of it I see being interesting. Ignoring the effects of items... Kinda like Unaware but for items instead of stat boosts? Of course, that means it should technically be unable to avoid the effects of Mega Evolution and Primal Reversion since those are straight increases in base stats...

Hold up, though. Why not use Storm Drain and Water Absorb instead, if your idea of Evaporation is to protect only the Pokémon that has the ability? Or am I reading this wrong? You tell me.
Because the ability goes to a Fire/Ground and makes more sense. The Pokemon is so hot that water attacks evaporates before landing on it

Because the ability goes to a Fire/Ground and makes more sense. The Pokemon is so hot that water attacks evaporates before landing on it
So then it's just under a different name. But same effect?

Then add an extra effect onto it, otherwise it just seems less appealing to me (despite the fact that you're describing a single-mon Desolate Land).

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom