• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves & Abilities Discussion/Speculation

- special dark type move, Power:75 , that drains hp
Yeah! I love this idea. The draining moves have always seemed like they would fit with dark type's dirty-fighting theme. This move could be vampiric as a style! Maybe give it to some new vampire Pokemon. Crobat and noivern should probably get access too.
-new terrains: ground(sand), swamp(bug), artic(ice).
-move to destroy a terrain and that doubles it power if one is on the field.
I like these ideas, I think that, like weather, more terrains=more fun strategies and themed teams! And the terrain breaker move could be really cool. Sorta like brick break, then? It works as an attack whether or not a terrain is out, but then it breaks the terrain if one is out. And then, on top of that, unlike brick break, breaking the terrain actually powers it up!
or should there be a seperate poke that changes with terrains and has a terrain changing damage dealing move?
I love this idea more. I think that rather than giving new forms and evolutions to old Pokemon, GF should give them new counterparts. Castform should get a sandstorm form, but then a new, on-the-ground Pokemon should get terrain formes and an attack that takes on the terrain type.

I love to see a dragon terrain. It could have a bluish background or something. The move could be called Legendary Terrain. The effect - allows Dragons to do normal damage (example: Normal attacks Grass types with Normal attacks) to those that resist and are immune to it. Ability to trigger one could be called Draconic Field.

There is a small symbol next to Komala's statusbar on the video which seems to back this up (I can't tell for sure, but it's not present for Arcanine in the Rockruff video).

I think that symbol is just for Pokemon you've caught. You can see one in the same place in the video the other day with Vikavolt vs Milotic. It's just the video is second hand filmed and so quite low quality in places so the PokeBall isn't super crisp.

I think that symbol is just for Pokemon you've caught. You can see one in the same place in the video the other day with Vikavolt vs Milotic. It's just the video is second hand filmed and so quite low quality in places so the PokeBall isn't super crisp.

You might be right -- I did think it looked a bit small for a status notification. Another source said that the (Chinese, not Japanese) text showed Electabuzz using Thunder Wave, with the orange popup being a notification about Comatose, and then it having no effect, followed by Komala just straight using a move which they're not sure how to translate.

This seems to pan out to mean Komala doesn't have continual sleep status, which might mean you can put it to sleep (and opens up the possibility of Rest sets). This would mean Comatose is effectively a broad status immunity. I feel like there has to be some disadvantage to offset this, but either way it's going to be interesting.

Stubborn: Missing a move against the opponent will raise the user's Attack or Sp.Atk one stage (which stat is chosen would depend on its stats - like Download).
Corrosive: Wielder's Poison-type moves will hit Steel-types super effectively.
Mystical Mist: the name is as bad as Sap Sipper Summons Misty Terrain for five turns when the Pokemon enters battle.
Insectivore: Draws in all Bug-type moves and increases Attack. (Bug version similar to Storm Drain and Lightning Rod)
Fluster: A Sp.Atk version of Intimidate.

Looks like this post and many other post related to this is slowly becoming true. Good job, @Zeb! (y) Since we've seen Electric Surge, I guess it's safe to wait and see for that Mystical Mist to happen. :)

Has there any ability that made a type super effective to another? If there's none, I think the new ability Corrosion by Salandit does just fine. Ability that adds super effectiveness to another just sounds too good to be true. Moves does it well enough like Freeze-Dry.

Looks like this post and many other post related to this is slowly becoming true. Good job, @Zeb! (y) Since we've seen Electric Surge, I guess it's safe to wait and see for that Mystical Mist to happen. :)

Has there any ability that made a type super effective to another? If there's none, I think the new ability Corrosion by Salandit does just fine. Ability that adds super effectiveness to another just sounds too good to be true. Moves does it well enough like Freeze-Dry.

Well the logic was that strong acids would burn/corrode the Steel-types. But being neutral would have been a fine alternative if it was considered too much. Like a specific Tinted Lens for a Poison vs Steel match-up. Corrosion is a good ability, just not on a Fire-type, which makes me wish it was a little different than it is.

-do you think that our new bug/electric and electric/steel pokes(I need time to remember the new names) will learn Parabolic Charge to drain HP?

-The Corrosion ability we don't know if it will only end up on this pokemon. In future I can see a water/poison;
bug/poison ; grass/poison; flying/poison, fairy/poison ; dragon/poison or maybe a electric/poison pokemon with it.

-we got the first poison type of this generation that is also fire? nice.

-Fog- make it maybe a ghost type weather condition and a move to summon it.
I really would want to ad ground, bug and ice to terrains.
Psychic got Trick Room and other room, gravity based things...
(weather: fire, water, rock, ice ; terrains: fairy, electric, grass)

(I'm crossing my fingers in hopes for a dragon/ghost skeleton immune to special attacks not depending on the types there are. And other pokemon similar to it, like a shadow-monster(dark/psychic) immune to physical attacks and other more in future. Really this would make more fun.)

Last edited:
Anyone have any guesses for Fluffy and Disguise? With Fluffy all I keep thinking of is either Fur Coat or Solid Rock/Filter. But I'd like to think it's going to be something new and more unique than a renamed version of those (don't tell me about Full Metal Body/Clear Body and Shadow Shield/Multiscale because I know).

Anyone have any guesses for Fluffy and Disguise? With Fluffy all I keep thinking of is either Fur Coat or Solid Rock/Filter. But I'd like to think it's going to be something new and more unique than a renamed version of those (don't tell me about Full Metal Body/Clear Body and Shadow Shield/Multiscale because I know).

Disguise sounds like it's going to be something that copies stats, types, abilities, etc. I don't think we've had an ability that copies stats before, so maybe that.

With all of these new abilities we're getting do you think that they'll try to give some older Pokemon that already have all 3 of their ability slots taken up some of these new abilities. I wouldn't mind it, it seems like a lot of wasted potential to only give them to new Pokemon.

I don't know if this is the right place for it. But I have a theory on how the new special moves, I'll call it Super Moves for now, work. The trainer strikes a pose, some of Elio/Selene's energy is transferred from the him/her into his/her Pokemon and they unleash their Super Move(s).

I thought about Fluffy some more and I'm going to guess at two ideas for it

1. It's a Sp.Atk version of Intimidate causing opponents to lower their mental state/concentration because of how cute and fluffy it is
2. It stops contact abilities or items activating (Static, Rough Skin, Rocky Helmet etc) due to all the fluff.

I'm not sure how likely I think 2 is, but I would like to see something get an ability that avoids contact abilities/items activating.

Disguise seems like it will be similar to Illusion or Transform in some way, but we'll have to see exactly how it differs.

I don't know if this is the right place for it. But I have a theory on how the new special moves, I'll call it Super Moves for now, work. The trainer strikes a pose, some of Elio/Selene's energy is transferred from the him/her into his/her Pokemon and they unleash their Super Move(s).

Just so I can be caught up over here, has any information been released/hinted at about a change to the move system, or "special moves," or is this in the same vein as the five moveslot theory and extrapolation of Ash Greninja's "evolutionary" mechanics onto the games?

Just so I can be caught up over here, has any information been released/hinted at about a change to the move system, or "special moves," or is this in the same vein as the five moveslot theory and extrapolation of Ash Greninja's "evolutionary" mechanics onto the games?
There has been confirmation about a new element, not a new type. The trainer in the latest trailer poses in a few ways and some of his/her energy is transferred into the starter Pokemon. A symbol of fire, water and grass is then shown under the starter Pokemon in battle.

So Disguise is basically a free Substitute? Nice.

All the new abilities are so interesting.

Disguise is a one-shot Substitute, which would be very helpful, especially since it can take the sting out of certain moves without needing any setup.

I have a feeling that Wimp Out will change into something like Courageous once Wimpod evolves. While it means Wimpod will be hard to catch without a Quick/Net Ball, it could be a very good scout Mon in trainer battles, and would probably make very good use out of U-Turn. Regardless, I still want to use it.

Stamina would make Mudsdale a really great physical wall. If it has access to a recovery move, then it can keep taking hits while boosting its Defense, being an effective stalling Mon.

I gotta say, all the new abilities are really something. GF is really doing a good job this time around, which is quite impressive.

So Disguise is basically a free Substitute? Nice.

All the new abilities are so interesting.
So, Disguise is one of my favorite abilities right now. Assuming Mimikyu has even decent stats and moves, this pokemon could be wonderfully useful in VGC. Throw a focus sash on it and it is guaranteed to survive two hits. You literally could not KO this pokemon in less than three hits without some kind of field effect. I hope that this little guy gets to be a beloved supporter in competitive because I think he sounds amazing.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom