• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves & Abilities Discussion/Speculation

I kinda want Rowlet-3 to get Gale Wings as a Hidden Ability and give it a massive attack and speed with stuff like Brave Bird and Leaf Blade. Just a nice alternative to talonflame if the fire typing is bad synergistically or if you don't want a 4x Stealth Rock weakness

I think Thick Fat would work well with Rowlet line considering the 4x Ice weakness.
My problem with this is 1) Rowlet doesn't look fat
2)nor does its final evolution, which we've seen via leak
3) said final evolution looks (to me at least) like a fast, offensive Pokemon, not a defensive Pokemon, so I would prefer an offensive ability to a defensive one like Thick Fat
4) even with Thick Fat it would still be 2x weak to Ice, and as I said in 3, it looks like an offensive Pokemon so ice attacks would very likely OHKO it through thick fat.

My problem with this is 1) Rowlet doesn't look fat
2)nor does its final evolution, which we've seen via leak
3) said final evolution looks (to me at least) like a fast, offensive Pokemon, not a defensive Pokemon, so I would prefer an offensive ability to a defensive one like Thick Fat
4) even with Thick Fat it would still be 2x weak to Ice, and as I said in 3, it looks like an offensive Pokemon so ice attacks would very likely OHKO it through thick fat.
When the alternative is more Brave Bird spam, I'll take whatever else comes. Sniper would be prefereble with that evolution since I'm personally sick of Gale Wings after just one generation.

I like Tinted Lens for Rowlet's evolution personally. Noctowl set precedent for an owl to get it and it would help with all the complaints there have been about Grass/Flying's coverage being walled by Steel-types (though I personally aren't too bothered about that as long as its stats in general aren't a mess).

The archer also looks like it's wearing glasses, and it dealing damage against types that resist it usually could be seen as it being a good shot with its archery and hitting weak points or something like that.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if they keep up the trend with giving new abilities, since there's been quite a lot so far and the Kalos starters received new ones too.

When the alternative is more Brave Bird spam, I'll take whatever else comes. Sniper would be prefereble with that evolution since I'm personally sick of Gale Wings after just one generation.

But sniper is a terrible ability xD

I really, really like Zeb's Tinted Lens idea though. That would be dope as long as Rowlet3's Speed is high enough

Water Veil says hi, but I guess we do have Insomnia and Vital Spirit existing as separate abilities.
Oops , you're correct. I hadn't thought about that. Maybe it could half the Fire damage instead? But that might be redundant, since all Damp users are resistant to Fire anyway.

Edit: Parasect could use such an ability. Fire would then only be 2x.

Damp's terrible too, but that didn't stop it from becoming Swampert's HA instead of something better like Huge Power.
Well obviously terrible abilities exist and GF gives them out to some Pokemon, but I just don't see why somebody would say "I want it to get sniper" - unless that person actively wants that Pokemon to have a mediocre ability xD

I hope they also update some more previous abilities. Like Illuminate: make it like Speed boost for accuracy, boots by 1x every turn.

Or if that's too much, more like Intimidate: Lowers the opponents Evasion by 1 upon entering the field.

leaf storm and draco meteor are not variations.

what I meant was a move with 110-120 base power, 70-85 accuracy and 5-10 PP

I don't think we need identical clones of hydro pump in every type, or any move in every type.

Leaf Storm and Draco Meteor are the variations, like OdieboyDuck said

I hope they also update some more previous abilities. Like Illuminate: make it like Speed boost for accuracy, boots by 1x every turn.

Or if that's too much, more like Intimidate: Lowers the opponents Evasion by 1 upon entering the field.

I support both of these ideas

I still want Illuminate to be buffed to be a Thick Fat clone but for Ghost and Dark (instead of Fire and Ice). We need more Ghost/Dark resists really.

I still want Illuminate to be buffed to be a Thick Fat clone but for Ghost and Dark (instead of Fire and Ice). We need more Ghost/Dark resists really.

I think it would be easier and be a better idea all around that 1 type gain a ghost resist and dark now gets resisted by ground/rock (its kinda hard to pull a shady/rude/mean move on a stone or the entire physical earth)

This would give some pokemon niches over the others; and would make ground types more beneficial while not changing their roles alot (Landorus is not switching in on any move from a +2 Bisharp no matter the type of move.)

I think it would be easier and be a better idea all around that 1 type gain a ghost resist and dark now gets resisted by ground/rock (its kinda hard to pull a shady/rude/mean move on a stone or the entire physical earth)

This would give some pokemon niches over the others; and would make ground types more beneficial while not changing their roles alot (Landorus is not switching in on any move from a +2 Bisharp no matter the type of move.)

No need to buff Ground even more, it's already one of the best types in the game both defensively and offensively. And while I agree that Dark is very good offensively, I would argue against nerfing it as it's mediocre at best defensively and there aren't too many absolutely borked Dar types that need to be toned down. Having easily spammable STAB Knock Off is their whole "thing", if you take that away then they will fade back into obscurity like they were in previous generations - they literally just got into the spotlight with XY, no need to take that spotlight away and give it to Ground types who have been enjoying usage for generations (cough cough excadrill cough cough garchomp cough gliscor and hippo and landorus and swampert)

Static Electricity: An ability where, if the opponent has an item that's metallic(e.g. Magnet), the item is given to the user if it doesn't have one already, otherwise, it is effectively Knock Off, but without damage. However, if a Steel-type is put into battle, it is attracted to the ability user, and does damage to it, equivalent to its weight.

What if some pokemon have z moves specifically for them like greninja would have the large water shuriken and unlike vortex whatever it's called it has priority
Chesnaught with a spiky sword z move that does something and etc

If pyukumuku learns self destruct and has a high HP stat it could be pretty useful
Called it. Maybe not for greninja but the idea that some will have z .oves exclusive to themselves

Rowlet would deserve both Thick Fat or Gale wings depending if it has a faster signature move then Water Shuriken, becuse I think they will not take away Greninjas, Sceptiles Speed from them against a new gras/flying starter. I rather think of Thick Fat becuse of the new ability Dazzling?(mega Delphox is in the way, wait for it's second coming)

Gravity Sphere is a kooky idea in a fun way; I imagine a super powerful psychic special move (160 base power?) that only works on floating or flying pokemon?
yes , but really powerfull gravity also works on the ones on ground... it would make them loose speed and hinders movements. Flying or levitating pokes should fall like rock's thats why they should take damage and loose a turn, land moving pokes should loose a turn to adapt, maybe it could work also diffrent against fighting(fast adaptation to harsh condition) and psychic(is adapted to this kind of things, will power) but that would need to make really sense.

with Bulletproof or Soundproof? for a dragon/fighting really good, especially that it's said to train a lot.
will we get more fairy or dragon moves for this kind of abilities? what do you think? especially if they give it now to a dragon pokemon?
will other types like psychic, ghost and others get their respective "sound" and "bullet"(pulse) moves ?

- what would you think about a ice type move that causes oponent to fall sleep/confusssion like hypothermia?
- or a ice type sound based move that reduces temperature maybe even freezes the foe (sound makes moves that realese heat and causes cold) this would be perfect for Jinx after so many years. (Winter Song, would be cool to have something good against steel and fire types)

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom