• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves & abilities that need buffing/nerfing

Speaking as someone who is partial to Fire and Flying types, Stone Edge and Rock Slide are already the banes of my existence so I don't think they need buffs. I agree though that Stealth Rock has basically always been broken -- who even bothers with Spikes these days?

Last edited:
Retaliate should be buffed to somefin along the lines of:

100 BP
90% accuracy
150% power if used right after party member faints

similar power to return with a very neat side effect useful for revenge killers in particular. Accuracy is only 90% to keep return viable on non revenge killers...or frustration, if you really h8 your pokemon that much.

I just want the move to be viable cause I really love its animation, simply one of the best there is

Crunch should be buffed to 90 BP because dark-types without that other move suffer too much in the physical department. And sharpedobias.

Gluttony should keep its current thing, but also double the effect any food item. So salac berry would give a +2 in speed, etc. Also would double leftovers healing.

Run Away should allow the pokemon to always be able to switch out, even when trapped by wrap, shadow tag, etc. Am actually quite surprised it doesn't already work like this.

Magician should work like trick/switcheroo instead of just thief/covet. All users of the ability have other ability options, so they wouldn't be forced to always forfeit their held item.

Parental Bond: I read on someone's blog that there are plans to nerf this one so that each hit deals 50%. 2x50% = 100% but some effects like focus sash and Weak armour are affected by two hits.

Rock Slide/Stone Edge: Need to stay as they are. The choice between accuracy versus power is the strategy here. But the PP on Stone edge (and Cross chop) could stand to rise to 10. I kinda hate 5PP anyway and feel the minimum should be 10.

Parental Bond needs a nerf (and I frequently run M-Khan). It makes sense that the first hit does 100% the damage (I mean it is thrown from the fully grown pokemon), but in no way should its child be able to hit for half the amount. I agree with a nerf of the second attack to 20%.

Any move that only gets 5 PP: Increase it to 7. Just because.

Protect needs a change. Use on your consecutive turn should have its chance decreased to 25%.

Oh and Knock Off needs to be nerfed, removing the 50% damage bonus would balance it well. Bump up the power of Night Slash/Crunch/whatever if the power void needs filling, just fix Knock Off because ~100 base power+item removal with perfect accuracy is absurd.

Gluttony should keep its current thing, but also double the effect any food item. So salac berry would give a +2 in speed, etc. Also would double leftovers healing.

I like this idea.

Parental Bond: I read on someone's blog that there are plans to nerf this one so that each hit deals 50%. 2x50% = 100% but some effects like focus sash and Weak armour are affected by two hits.

Last year, I think Game Freak said they were thinking of nerfing it because they saw how dominant and strong it was (do Game Freak realise anything in advance, they were surprised that people were using special attacks on Aegislash when gave it freaking base 150 Sp.Atk...). But then VGC happened and they saw how people were adapting and dealing with it, so I think they changed their mind about nerfing it. At least that's what I seem to recall reading sometime last year. They might end up giving it a little nerf in Gen VII though, guess we'll have to wait and see.

I think the Normal-type HM moves should be retyped to other types. One of the reasons I don't like the majority of HM moves is that they can't be used for super-effective STABs or counters. At least if they are of other types, that would give me more reason to have them as part of my main rotation's movepools.

Cut should have 100% accuracy, full stop. It should also be buffed to 65-70, and be retyped to Grass/Steel.

Similarly, Rock Climb should have an accuracy buff up to 95-100 (perhaps in exchange to losing its Confusion effect and maybe a nerf to 80BP), and be re-typed to Rock.

Strength should be re-typed to Fighting type. I don't know if any accuracy/power buff/nerf is needed, but we could have it ignore any stat buffs/nerfs.

I think the Normal-type HM moves should be retyped to other types. One of the reasons I don't like the majority of HM moves is that they can't be used for super-effective STABs or counters. At least if they are of other types, that would give me more reason to have them as part of my main rotation's movepools.

Cut should have 100% accuracy, full stop. It should also be buffed to 65-70, and be retyped to Grass/Steel.

Similarly, Rock Climb should have an accuracy buff up to 95-100 (perhaps in exchange to losing its Confusion effect and maybe a nerf to 80BP), and be re-typed to Rock.

Strength should be re-typed to Fighting type. I don't know if any accuracy/power buff/nerf is needed, but we could have it ignore any stat buffs/nerfs.

I agree that they should be retyped, but not raised in power. Imagine all the different coverage options this would provide. I mean all the Fire and Rock types that are able to learn Cut would have a 70BP Grass type move. I find that too easy.

Re: Moves & abilities that need buffing/nerfing

Sketch should be nerfed to at least being unable to sketch event pokemon moves like Dark Void or Judgment.

Or even if they do get to sketch it, since it's obviously just a sketch, it should have, like, 50% accuracy and/or 50% power.

I agree that they should be retyped, but not raised in power. Imagine all the different coverage options this would provide. I mean all the Fire and Rock types that are able to learn Cut would have a 70BP Grass type move. I find that too easy.

The problem with powering up Cut is that it's accessible very early in the game, and much improvement would make it very powerful early on, as well as removing much purpose to 70 BP moves like Slash. Personally I can't see Cut as any different type to normal - especially with its reputation, you don't get many more mundane moves. I don't know, I'm of the opinion that non-HM moves should still be able to serve the field purpose, if they're essentially the same action.

That's a point actually. I'd argue all slashing and cutting-related moves (that is, Slash, Dragon Claw, Leaf Blade, et cetera) with a few exceptions like Scratch and Fury Swipes should be able to work like Cut. There are probably things like that you could work out for the rest of the HMs too - maybe Surf and Waterfall should both work in the same way in the field, but only differentiate in battle. Then you use gym badges like in earlier generations to limit what field abilities pokemon can perform, rather than the exact HM move. Just a thought.

This.

I have never understood why Strength is a Normal move; aren't most Fighting types super-strong anyway? This has never made any real sense to me. So yeah, let's make Strength a Fighting move.

Teleport: Turn it into a pivoting move in trainer battles, like Baton Pass that doesn't pass stat boosts. Still not fantastic, but could have some niche use on certain Pokes.
Run Away should allow the pokemon to always be able to switch out, even when trapped by wrap, shadow tag, etc. Am actually quite surprised it doesn't already work like this.

These definitely I have to agree with.

Thought of some more -

Disarming voice: BP needs to be raised from 40 to at least 60 like Shock wave and the other sure-hit moves.

Mega Launcher: should include 'wave' moves too such as Psywave & Sludge wave.

Leaf Storm should have a slight power nerf (5-10 BP) in exchange for not lowering the Pokémon's special attack. Giga Drain should have a power buff. Wood Hammer shouldn't deal recoil. Doing that will really help Grass types by giving them valid moveset options, and nerf Water and Ground at the same time.

Freeze Shock and Ice Burn shouldn't have the two-turn effect, and instead be Ice-type versions of Bolt Strike/Blue Flare. That way Black Kyurem could actually be Uber like it's supposed to be. Land's Wrath also needs a buff (at least +10-20 BP) to justify using it over Earthquake, and it's the same thing with Mist Ball and Luster Purge.

Rock Smash: Can we please get this one raised to at least a base power of 50? I mean, even Tackle can outclass it and Brick Break leaves it in the dust! The move itself isn't awful but it's just so terribly weak that it borderlines on useless. Seriously, buff this thing and make it semi-useful please.
Even Power-Up Punch leaves it in the dust because its secondary effect kicks in 100%. THAT is something that could use a nerf.

Idea: Rock Smash should have 50% chance to lower defence by 1 stage, and 50% of lowering it 2 stages. Think of Acid (bomb) Spray which does 2 stages every time.

Power Up Punch and Nuzzle should have their secondary effects work 75% of the time.

Suction Cups (addition to current properties)
Wind and air-based attacks such as Silver Wind, Air Slash, etc. do 50% less damage to this Pokemon.

Normalize
All moves known by this Pokemon become Normal-type and are boosted by 30%. (To make it sort of equivalent to Pixilate, Aerilate, and Refrigerate.)

Also Mega Punch and Mega Kick should be Fighting-type.

Last edited:
Focus Blast should have an accuracy of at least 80-85% to match with the other high power moves that do as much damage. I don't know how many times I've been fucked over by that 70% accuracy, but it's nonsense.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom