• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves & abilities that need buffing/nerfing

Focus Blast should have an accuracy of at least 80-85% to match with the other high power moves that do as much damage. I don't know how many times I've been fucked over by that 70% accuracy, but it's nonsense.

It is dumb that Gunk Shot got boosted accuracy and UnFocus Blast didn't.

1. when a pokemon has Anticipation (Ability) then the move Disable should have priority and work directly.
2. We need more move and ability combos.
3. Moves that have only double battle effect should also work some how in normal battles (Rototiller).
All Moves and abilities should somehow work also in battles, give them a in battle use.

4. Heatproof need something to make it so good as Thick fat.
5. Don't repeat moves of the same type , category and power, more diversification.

6. Seed bomb has no in battle effect but Enegy Ball has one? Same power, diffrent category.
7. Control amount of moves in level category (special.physical) and try to count
how many pokes are in this 3 categories: attack>sp.attack ; attack=sp.attack and attack<sp.attack)

Run Away should allow the pokemon to always be able to switch out, even when trapped by wrap, shadow tag, etc. Am actually quite surprised it doesn't already work like this.

These definitely I have to agree with.

Teleport could allow you to avoid a hit like fly(dig and so on) and give your "next move" a first prioriority hit but work like Dig/ Fly in the matter with chance of success.

with Run Away you have a really good idea.

8. Kinesis- only with Alakazam line? "Telekinesis"? no combos? Kinesis olny decreases the target's accuracy stat by one stage? Psychics can use the power of will to bend spoons? I thought it should somehow affect steel types at least. Psychic moves should affect more status conditions.
The move should get a big modification of this.
Also there should be a relation and combo with and between Telekinesis and Gravity.
(when it floats, flies and fals there should be damage)

Last edited:
I might be unpopular with this opinion, but I would like Leaf Storm to go back to 140 BP because Grass is already subpar offensively compared to Fire and Dragon, so putting this move at a higher power would benefit most Grass-types.

I feel that overall, Grass attacks should ideally all have secondary effects, so that while it is resisted by many types, its secondary effects can come in handy in gaining a battle advantage. Maybe for example, Vine Whip could get a Pursuit-like effect, or perhaps Seed Bomb could have a Defence-dropping effect.

I agree on the sentiment that Knock Off's power should be reduced. At its power, it does a lot of damage just by having an item. Ideally, the power up effect should be removed if staying at that power, or if it needs to be powered up, then it should be reduced to about 50 BP.

Thanks for reading.

This isn't a buff or nerf, but it's close enough:

I've always thought Struggle Bug was a stupid name. Squirm would be much more fitting.

Zap Cannon needs a power boost. It's only 10 higher than Thunder, and the only way to use it is under Gravity (or Lock-On if it's in-game). Same for Inferno and Dynamic Punch.

Last edited:
Close Combat needs a nerf. It's way better than all other 120 Base Power moves, and it's widely distributed to very powerful pokémon. Either dropping defense/special defense by 2 stages or having less than perfect accuracy would be better.

Re: Moves &amp; abilities that need buffing/nerfing

Rock Slide should be nerfed. Not so much a problem in Single battles (Stone Edge is arguably almost always the better option in this case), but a 30% flinch chance (same chance as a Scald burn) on both opposing Pokemon in Double battles is more absurd than you'd think.

And yeah, Knock Off really needs a nerfing as well, despite how much I love using it.

All those type boosting abilities like Swarm and Overgrow should activate when the user has a status condition.

All those type boosting abilities like Swarm and Overgrow should activate when the user has a status condition.
I hope since long time for a animation by activation of Overgrow(and the other of this kind) in games
+ inner extra effect of those abilities like a Focus band (There is a 10% chance that when the holder is hit by an attack that would otherwise cause fainting, it can survive with 1 HP. Can also protect against recoil damage and self-inflicted confusion damage. From Generation V on, it must trigger separately for each strike of a multi-strike move; prior to Generation IV, it only needs to trigger once to protect from all strikes. Cannot protect from damage from Future Sight or Doom Desire, except in Generation III. )

The Probality of moves is to low sometimes.(especially of those who cause flinching and those who are very weak in power)
List of moves that cause flinching - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Freeze status needs more improvements(more variations, partial frozen, half frozen, something that lowers speed) and a ice move that would use the oponents state and get stronger with it.

Last edited:
You know how Mega Launcher and Strong Jaw only power up a handful of moves but they are powered up a whopping 50%? How come Iron fist is only 20%? It should be 50 like the other two

Perish Song is still a normal type move?
should it become fairy type?

Basically every HM move ever except Fly, Surf, and Waterfall needs to be buffed. Those are decent enough.

Basically every HM move ever except Fly, Surf, and Waterfall needs to be buffed. Those are decent enough.

Proposed changes in bold:
Strength - Power 90, Acc 100, 10% chance to flinch, retyped to Fighting
Rock Smash - Power 70, Acc 100, 50% chance to lower opp's DEF
Cut - Power 80, Acc 100, 30% chance to lower opp's SPEED, retyped to Steel
Rock Climb - Power 90, Acc 100, 30% chance to confuse foe
Whirlpool - Power 40, Acc 100, lasts 2-7 turns
Flash - Power 0, Acc 100, Decreases accuracy in foe, 10% chance to also confuse, retyped to Electric

Defog - No changes
Dive - No changes

They could modify Curse for psychic , dark and fairy types, this types should be treaded like paranormal types.
Individual. Remember it was a ???-type from gen II to gen V.
Fairy atleast should use it in a other way.

Freeze status needs more improvements(more variations, partial frozen, half frozen, something that lowers speed) and a ice move that would use the oponents state and get stronger with it.

I think the only improvement freeze ailment needs is to not allow the frozen pokemon to thaw out on the same turn that it was frozen (even though that has saved me a few times). It just seems too weak for what is supposed to be a super-fearsome ailment.

Would it be very bad if all pokemon could somehow Harsh(intense) weather conditions.

- when a weather summoning move is used a second time it could have 50% probability of changing the weather into harsh weather condition for the last amount of turns the weather condition stays on the battlefield.
- when used a 3 time it would cause 75%-100% harsh weather for the amount of turns left till the weather
disappears.
(Sunny day-> intense sunlight, this should automaticaly also hapen in a volcano area)
- when a pokemon has a ability to sumon weather it would also count to this cycle.()

-Strong winds, would be summon by multiple use of Tailwind.

Could imagine
-harsh sandstorm (like sandstorm, but also halves power of other moves different than ground, rock, steel type by half) and
-harsh hail (like hail + halves power of other moves different than ice by half)

Could there exist in future harsh (intense ) terrains?

- New type of terrains:

Swamp terrain( bug , dark, ghost )

Desert terrain (for ground, Rock have already sandstorm, it would be sand, would cause 0,5x grass moves and 0,5x flying(physical))

Arctic terrain (ice needs something, 1,5 sp.def+ 1/8hp,)

-it would be cool if there would be more weather and terrain interactions.

Last edited:
Sky Drop: BP 60 change to 70. At least make it slightly better than every other flying type move. (Why does it seem like they all have 60BP???)

Draining Kiss: BP 50 change to 60, but still keep the 75% health restore as opposed to the 50% restore of higher BP moves such as Drain Punch.

I realize that there are ways to counter all of these, but here is my list:

Parental Bond - Parental Bond essentially guarantees a critical hit with every move, because critical hits are 1.5x now instead of 2x. It's a cool idea and all that, but in practice, it's cheap.

Protean - Same idea as the one above. Giving a Pokémon STAB for every attack it could ever use is just too much.

Wide Guard - I think Wide Guard should expand to include status moves as well, the way Quick Guard blocks Prankster moves. I'm sick of losing to Dark Void from Darkrai and Smeargle (don't get me wrong, I have strategies for defeating Darkrai and Smeargle, but still...) and I don't get why Wide Guard only applies to damaging moves.

Dark Void - I realize that Dark Void is Darkrai's signature move, but if it's going to affect multiple foes at once, then its accuracy needs to be a lot worse. (I admit that the sleep clause takes care of this, but then it's luck of the draw which Pokémon gets put to sleep, and there's no restriction when playing in the Battle Spot.)

Hyper Voice - Hyper Voice is too powerful and too useful with Abilities like Pixilate to be able to strike multiple opponents AND rip through Substitute.

-Volt Tackle 10% of paralyzing the target ; -Flare Blitz 10% of burning the target

2.Wood Hammer ; Brave Bird ; Double edge

3. Why do this three moves not cause atlest flinching or confusion?
Wood Hammer should atlest get some nerf as a grass type move.

-should Spider Web affect speed?

-should "Mummy" work better? takes away ability, but when the target gets Mummy not as it original ability I though it should half speed , reduce all stats one stage or start loosing hp?

-regular Memento should be like in Mystery dungeon that one HP is left?
or when it faints it should reduce all the oponents stats.

moves like Screech ;Spider Web; String shot; Metal Sound and Cotton Spore should get a 50% (or some kind of %) chance to cause the oponent to flinch.

4. Flash(+ priority and cause flinching by 40%);

Mud Sport(+priority move+causes flinching 40%) ,

- Double Team( should create real tokens/images of the user, amount depending on the speed and level diffrence between user and enemy, from min 3 to 6 max in number, use of the mechanic like in hord battles, this would be more usable and fun),

-Vine Whip(should hit multiple targets, in double battles, or against "double team" like above.)

Last edited:
They should buff Drill Peck so it's a high crit move. That way Fearow finally has a decent Flying move to go along with Sniper (not like anything else uses Drill Peck anyway). If Drill Run is high crit I see no reason why Drill Peck can't be, especially since it's such a deadzone move where main game are likely to use Fly and competitive are going to use Brave Bird.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom