• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves & abilities that need buffing/nerfing

Its also very slow, you would take its greatest advantage away.

It is very bulky and can tank moves. It's in OU for a reason.
Long reach has exactly one user.
We currently have only 1 corrosion user. We're discussing TODAY's meta game and not TOMORROW's. You simply cannot answer on hypotheticals.

I don't know that Baneful Bunker needs a nerf. Toxapex rarely runs it anyway (in 6v6 singles, can't speak for doubles or BSS) because in addition to having an amazing defensive typing and excellent recovery in recover and regenerator, the targets that get poisoned by Baneful Bunker are generally physical attackers, which 'Pex would rather see crippled with a (scald) burn than be regular poisoned.

I don't know that Baneful Bunker needs a nerf. Toxapex rarely runs it anyway (in 6v6 singles, can't speak for doubles or BSS) because in addition to having an amazing defensive typing and excellent recovery in recover and regenerator, the targets that get poisoned by Baneful Bunker are generally physical attackers, which 'Pex would rather see crippled with a (scald) burn than be regular poisoned.

Er... almost every Toxapex I saw ran Baneful Bunker... but maybe that changed during all the time I haven’t played (last time Insaw a Toxapex in battle was months ago since I'm taking a 'break' from Showdown.
I just think that Baneful Bunker has an edge over the other protect moves, since they usually resort to taking some HP, lowering stats etc., poison being a comparatively more drastic effect.

But I think the nerf may have to do with my dislike of Toxapex's viability...

Er... almost every Toxapex I saw ran Baneful Bunker... but maybe that changed during all the time I haven’t played (last time Insaw a Toxapex in battle was months ago since I'm taking a 'break' from Showdown.
I just think that Baneful Bunker has an edge over the other protect moves, since they usually resort to taking some HP, lowering stats etc., poison being a comparatively more drastic effect.

But I think the nerf may have to do with my dislike of Toxapex's viability...

As I said above, things may be different in VGC, BSS, or even doubles metagames since I pretty much exclusively play and follow Smogon singles, but consensus was reached pretty early on that Baneful Bunker was not only unnecessary, but in some ways it could be a hinderance. Toxapex generally wants to badly poison setup sweepers with toxic and then haze their boosts away, or cripple physical attackers with scald, all while recovering away lost HP, and switching out to regenerate some HP if it can't wall something. In many cases, Baneful Bunker can also hurt Toxapex because using the move is generally wasting a turn where 'Pex could have been trying to burn something with Scald, recovering, hazing away stat changes, laying toxic spikes, or badly poisoning an opponent.

Granted, there are some cases where normal poison is preferred over bad poison. If a Pokemon rarely stays in for 3 turns at a time, then regular poison will wear it down faster than bad poison. However, if this is the goal, a single layer of toxic spikes can generally accomplish this more reliably than Baneful Bunker, and can also be upgraded to bad poison later.

This is all based on my experiences using and facing 'Pex. It is truly an annoying 'mon to break. Now if you are really set on nerfing the thing, you have to go after its two best qualities outside of its typing: It is an amazing defensive pivot with access to not one but two forms of recovery (only matched by Slowbro), and the fact that it is undoubtedly the best haze user in the metagame. If you really wanna nerf Toxapex, I'd go after a nerf to either Regenerator or Haze, as I find that those are generally its two best qualities (again, outside of changing the type chart) that make it such an annoying defensive threat to face.

It dosen’t do that already? I always thought it does....
It does not. Just like how Sandstorm doesn't boost the power of Rock or Ground moves.

Only Sunny Day and Rain Dance increase move power, as of now.

But you would think that a hailstorm would make an oncoming Ice move stronger.

mist ball, mist and misty terrain should interact with each other more and with dark, bug, ghost, fairy types more.
also fog should be weather condition related to them.
I would make it ghost type and call it: Deep Fog

Imagine bug, dark, ghost and fairy would be protected in a fog where the accuracy and evasion is better for them then for the other types. maybe 25% more chance for them hitting the foe and a 25% less chance for the foe to hit them back during fog.
Psychic types and moves "that always hit" would be the exception for hitting them.

Castform could become ghost type in fog.

Mist in general would need a buff, I would retype it to ghost type...

actually Haze and smog moves should be overthough in the way they work.

Smog should work like Whirlpool or Fire spin, damage multiturn and beeing able to be defoged away.
Defog has 100% of activating its effect, what if other moves like twister, guts, heat wave, icy wind, onmious wind, tail wind , blizzard, hurricane would have from 10 to 30% of doing the same as Defog?

Defog should be abbble to remove a fire spin, whirlpool and others too or not?

Would be cool if we would get a fog/smog like ability, protecting the user from physical hits though higher evasion and lovering oponents accuracyat the same time that could be "defoged" away.

The Illuminate (Ability) - should work like move Flash and Foresight toogether in one in battle when has physical contact with the foe or he with the user. Or maybe when switched in battle in the first turn like intimidate does.

the relation between Overcoat and Pollen Puff and Powder Snow?

In battle, a Pokémon with Overcoat does not take damage from the weather conditions sandstorm and hailstorm.

Overcoat now also protects from powder and spore moves, as well as Effect Spore.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom