• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves/Abilities that should have their effects changed+ New move ideas

Reaction score
I’m really sure a thread existed but I can’t find it...

Who the hell thought it was a good idea to have the ONLY physical fairy move with non perfect accuracy?
- Sincerely the person who has lost MULTIPLE matches because Play Rough missed two times in a row.
We need more decent physical fairy moves, as well as a 100% accurate play Rough.

ice types need their own boosting move a la quiver dance. something to really set them apart offensively. maybe like a work up-esque kinda move, i think.

I can really get behind that idea. Maybe it could be called "Snow Dance" that raises Attack, Special Attack, and Speed, since Ice Mons are supposed to be glass cannons (though later gens have made them bulky and slow, which only hurts them more). That way they can dish out the hurting faster (Mons like Weavile, Glalie, Froslass, and Glaceon would love a move like that).

Anyway, how about a Fire-type priority move in the same vein as Extreme Speed? Or if that's too strong, perhaps its own version of Quick Attack? Maybe the Quick Attack variant could be called Potshot and would be a Special move (since the only Special variant Quick Attack we have is Vacuum Wave). Plus, Fire-types tend to be more Specially oriented (usually, anyway, as some are either mixed attackers or physical). It could really help slower Fire Mons bypass their lower speed at least once. For an Extreme Speed variant, how about a name like Blazing Charge?

Also, how about a two-turn Electric move? Sure, Electric Mons are (normally) quick and fragile, and two-turn moves are terrible, but it could work. How about calling it Turbine, as it charges up energy on the first turn before firing it like Solar Beam. Maybe it can even become a one-turn move in heavy rain, like how Thunder gains perfect accuracy in it. Could make for some interesting rain tactics (though, really, rain doesn't need any more boosts at this point, but it is a suggestion).

Swift , means speed star , should be becoming a +1 increased priority move after so many generations?

Anyway, how about a Fire-type priority move in the same vein as Extreme Speed? Or if that's too strong, perhaps its own version of Quick Attack? Maybe the Quick Attack variant could be called Potshot and would be a Special move (since the only Special variant Quick Attack we have is Vacuum Wave). Plus, Fire-types tend to be more Specially oriented (usually, anyway, as some are either mixed attackers or physical). It could really help slower Fire Mons bypass their lower speed at least once. For an Extreme Speed variant, how about a name like Blazing Charge?

maybe like First Impression? but then Powder would need to be faster...
electric would need the same actually in this department.

Also, how about a two-turn Electric move? Sure, Electric Mons are (normally) quick and fragile, and two-turn moves are terrible, but it could work. How about calling it Turbine, as it charges up energy on the first turn before firing it like Solar Beam. Maybe it can even become a one-turn move in heavy rain, like how Thunder gains perfect accuracy in it. Could make for some interesting rain tactics (though, really, rain doesn't need any more boosts at this point, but it is a suggestion).

one turn when on electric terrain too?
Could be like beak blast ? make the electric pokemon cause a burn during contact and free from freeze?
what if it would work like Focus Punch? then only a substitute and go...

Ground types feel forgotten lately...
would need a priority move... Hoped High-Horse power would be like first impression, extreeam speed or at least quick attack...

Ground should get its own type of Avalanche like Sandfall... I would make Avalanche hit all targets on the field...Revenge too like Surf and Heat Wave do...

Obstruct becoming a sound move and making that Soundproof pokemon and sound move could hit the user of that move.
(then it could be given to more pokemon)

I have a proposal that Quick Guard should cause damage when used against a target using a priority move , would make it more better then Protect. Also would make that pokemon with Stall and decreased priority moves should break through quick guard making it in Single and Double battles a thing. Moves with no priority also should get blocked by quick guard if the target is faster then the user...

Wide Guard, Quick Guard and Protect? we know Feint and Phantom Force lift them all up...
moves like Trash, Outrage and Petal Dance at least cause them to be be broken after a turn or two when overused in battle...
Weird that there is no increased priority move that could go through any regular Protect like move(making quick guard special in this department sort of)

Wide Guard protects from wide range moves indoubles and singles... too lame would
Protect blocks all moves and in doubles or tripples you protect a team mate next to you,,,
making it too superrior move to the two others, would make moves like Avalanche and Beak Blast destroy Protect and make Wide Guard block those instead.... Wide Guard should always block thunder even in Rain, blizzard in hail...

Wide Guard should have a weak spot that a one hit KO move should always take such a pokemon down because it should not miss though a wide guard... if you get what I mean... like a Protect that in singles would be better agains moves that get weather effect to break protects but be weak to one-hit-KO moves instead...

weird that not many moves break through Protects taking that some should outspeed them, some blades and cannons also should have a higher chance breaking through them... we have brick break and psychic fang against screening moves... why only 2? when many blade and cannon moves could get that too?

I would make a draining move or ability that can drain hp when the other pokemon is using a protecting move...

Those status one turn protection moves against status moves... should protect agains weather and extra damage too...

Makes me wish they create a ghost type damaging entry hazard every time a pokemon uses a increased priority move, not matter if status or damage dealing... normal and ghost pokemon would be immune to it to make things interesting...

we have Arena Trap that doesnt work on flying type pokemon
we have Shadow Tag that doesnt trap ghost pokemon
maybe a Psychic trapping ability that doesnt trap dark and ghost types?
maybe a move that deals more damage if oponent is trapped?

A ability that the user deals damage damage every turn to the target if self trapped by the targets moves or abilities....
Could see a electric type to have a Shok reaction ability to trapping... or a ice type or steel type or poison type that releases cold, poison or needles that hit everything around it...

I would love a horse centaur Samurai fire/ghost starter made of horse and upper body of blueflames and black smoke formed into head, hands and upper body like and horse head would be the thorso...
( with Spirit Shield to drain hp)

a water/fighting jaguar aztec warrior (could be female like)

(with survival instinct ability that would allow to avoid once the first SE move when in battle similar to a Detect, would reset after recaling and could be used again and a water move version of First impression maybe Monsoon Rush...
taking water/fighting amount of weakness , maybe could get damage 1/8 like Disquise then when activated)

and a grass/steel wolf witcher or a grass/rock lion or grass/electric giraff...

More moves that work like Focus Punch but for diffferent types...
dragon, ghost, ground, water, electric, ice, grass and fire maybe should get something like this?

new move:

Secret or Hidden skill- we have skill swap from target what if we could get a ability but one of 5 from our ally pokemon in the party instead? this move would allow us to change it afterwards even.

the same could be used as a ability that copies a ability from a ally in the party... this way Illusion could be used twice because the pokemon would get the ability activated exactly when entering battle.

Last edited:
Who the hell thought it was a good idea to have the ONLY physical fairy move with non perfect accuracy?
- Sincerely the person who has lost MULTIPLE matches because Play Rough missed two times in a row.
We need more decent physical fairy moves, as well as a 100% accurate play Rough.
Uh...Grimmsnarl used Spirit Break!

Anyway, I noticed that the Ghost type lacks a health-draining move. So, I had an idea for a move as such:
Life Drain
Ghost
, Special, Base Power: 75 Accuracy: 100% PP: 10 (Max: 16)
An attack that drains the target's life force. The user's HP is restored by half the damage taken by the target.

I also noticed that besides Max Lightning, the Electric type lacks a move with "Lightning" in its name. So, I thought of a move like this. Basically a modified Discharge.
Lightning Storm
Electric
, Special, Base Power: 65 Accuracy: 100% PP: 15 (Max: 24)
The user strikes everything around it with lightning summoned from the sky. This may also cause paralysis. (This move has a 50% chance to paralyze the target(s).)

That’s bound to change, I reckon. The description is generic enough for the move to spread out.
We don’t know when though. Play Rough has been the only physical Fairy option for 3 Generations now (if you don’t want to use Grimmsnarl) so it’s worth speaking out. There’s no way to remove hax factors if you want to run a physical non-Grimmsnarl fairy.

There's another thread where you can keep/change/delete things in pokémon (where I also talk about moves), so I will share my new move ideas here instead!

Strategize / Status Fighting Type Move

PP: 25 / Power: - / Accuracy: 100% / Priority: +3

Description: The user prepares itself and its allies for battle by increasing their defences and preparing for a counterattack.

The user increases its (its ally too in a Double Battle, and adjacent allies in a Triple or Rotation Battle) Defense and Special Defense stat by 1 stage. If either the user or its allies boosted by Strategize take damage in that turn, at the next turn, all their movies will gain +1 Priority next turn. This can only be used in the first turn the Pokémon is brought out of its Pokéball, and will fail otherwise.

I think we need more "first turn only" moves, like Fake Out and First Impression. But damaging moves are getting all the spotlight, so why not have something more suited for a "wait and see" approach? Not only is this essentially a free Stockpile, it also allows you to gains some offensive leverage next turn. This will either force the enemy to take a hit first (unless it's some Extreme Speed shenanigans) or switch out. It allows for some mind games and to not just attack willy nilly to gain the momentum. Strategize can allow the user (and its allies!) to tank the hit and then retaliate. What do you think?

There's another thread where you can keep/change/delete things in pokémon (where I also talk about moves), so I will share my new move ideas here instead!

Strategize / Status Fighting Type Move

PP: 25 / Power: - / Accuracy: 100% / Priority: +3

Description: The user prepares itself and its allies for battle by increasing their defences and preparing for a counterattack.

The user increases its (its ally too in a Double Battle, and adjacent allies in a Triple or Rotation Battle) Defense and Special Defense stat by 1 stage. If either the user or its allies boosted by Strategize take damage in that turn, at the next turn, all their movies will gain +1 Priority next turn. This can only be used in the first turn the Pokémon is brought out of its Pokéball, and will fail otherwise.

I think we need more "first turn only" moves, like Fake Out and First Impression. But damaging moves are getting all the spotlight, so why not have something more suited for a "wait and see" approach? Not only is this essentially a free Stockpile, it also allows you to gains some offensive leverage next turn. This will either force the enemy to take a hit first (unless it's some Extreme Speed shenanigans) or switch out. It allows for some mind games and to not just attack willy nilly to gain the momentum. Strategize can allow the user (and its allies!) to tank the hit and then retaliate. What do you think?
It's a great idea! I wonder why something like this hasn't been created in the games yet. Just one question; does Strategize (the move itself) have priority?

It's a great idea! I wonder why something like this hasn't been created in the games yet. Just one question; does Strategize (the move itself) have priority?

Yep. It has +3 Priority. It means it is in the same speed bracket as other offensive priority moves such as Fake Out, and can potentially one up against Prankster or GW boosted moves

One turn entry hazards only against one pokemon. During switchins , switchouts , when target uses stats move, special or physical attacks. That work once against one target. Maybe Entry boosters or traps that are used during longer lasting battles. Activating them costs 1/6 hp.

Mental seal- when new target switch ins all its stats get reduced by one stage

Cursed seal- target that switched out will be under effect of curse when switching back in next time.

Mythical rune- when switching in the new target cant move one turn and gets paralyzed.

Dark sign- when switching out target is drained out of 33% hp that gets the user.

Sound seal- causes the first sound move used by target to backfire and damage the target.

Magic seal- blocks the first fairy hit from moves used during battle against user or alies.

Wood seal- creates a substitute for next ally pokemon if user fainted in one turn.

Combat rune- when switching new ally user get priority +2 and boosts to all stats if previous ally fainted in one turn.

Sinister seal- the first darkts type hit from moves used against the user or his allies fails.

Dragon seal- when a dragon type fainted during battle(user or target) the next users pokemon gets a free substitute.

Sand pit- when entering battle land moving oponents second phisical move gets blocked and speed reduced.

Mirror trap- targets first special attak gets blocked and causes target damage.

Ice seal: when target uses a fire type move hail activates and target gets all stages reduced one stage.

You cant use more then 1 against a oponent. They are not destroyed like entry hazards or screens but can be stolen during battle with moves or abilities. Magician.
Type Immunity helps against them.

Last edited:
Moves that change
Make it so Run Away doesn't affect Pursuit (So Pursuit doesn't work on a Pokemon with the Run Away ability when it Switches out). Gives the Pokemon with Run Away more usage in battle.

new moves:
Overcharge: The Pokemon with this ability that starts the battle or switches in, gets its highest stat boosted by 3 stages on turn one and can attack on the first turn. Then it cannot attack on the second turn, due to the powers having been overcharged and its unable to move (So it basically behaves as a Hyper Beam or Giga Impact, but in an ability instead).
Overeater: The Pokemon with this ability that eats a berry, gets its defenses raised by 2 stages, but it lowers the speed stat by 2.

hmmm maybe a new switching ability or move, a mind game, lets say every turn a coin is toss and a switch occurs and when the coin fails the move or ability stops working? the first switch without coin.
Maybe both parties affected? then it would cause that every turn your pokemon and oponents meet in a one turn collide.

I would make additions to old moves and abilities...

we dont have enough moves that boost users evasion and lower targets evasion... the smallest group of moves here actually...

the same with accuracy actually.

a move like flash or ability Iluminate would get here to shine... could affect both at the same time bc when you blind oponent both accuracy and evasion should get affected at the same time...

DLC Move Spoiler:
the moves Corrosive gas should neutralize item to end of battle and not "destroy it"... this would block a pokemon from using a other item... berries could get destroyed or cause poison and damage instead... corrosive gas should gain minimum damage actually 40 bp.
also I think this move should reduce a steel types all stats or affect somehow realy.
Disarming voice should reduce targets accuracy.

SOUND MOVES LIKE Hypervoice could get a addition in reducing speed or something... moves like Howl that rise users attack but let you open for a attack could actually reduce targets attack or speed in the same time too.

Shadow Curse - when the user fainst it causes the Curse effect on the target but the Curse isnt taken of by switching, it works till one pokemon on the oponents side of the field fainst and then it stops working.

I like how Palossand has that its immune to telekinesis bc Based on its species ... I think a sand castle should be immune to burn too...
maybe more such effects against some moves to their species could be possible or what do you all think?

Last edited:
protect/shielding like moves:

-that always freezes the oponet when physical contact
-that switches target when hit by any move
-that switches out user when hit by any move

I feel like Iron Fist should be a bigger boost than 1.2x. It's such a small pool of moves that benefit from it and some have basically no distribution. Though some additional punch types would be awesome, too.

It has always gotten on my nerves that Cut is Normal. It exists to cut down trees (and, in earlier generations, tall grass), so it should have been something Super Effective on Grass. I'd always have supported it for Bug, since it would be a great boon to a lot of type coverage early on, and I'm always up for another move that is workable with Technician. On the subject of HMs, I'd have preferred Strength to have a chance to raise your Attack. HM moves as a whole, when they were a thing, really needed some help.

Water Gun in the anime has always shown as more or less equivalent to Flamethrower in scope and power, so it would have been cool for it to be on par with its power. I know Surf is a thing, but Surf also later became a move that hit both foes (and then later also the ally).

Why do we lack Fire Jet? It's a classic trope and the type could use a Quick Attack clone.

Can we get a Water recoil move like Wood Hammer and Flare Blitz? I don't even like recoil moves, but the lack feels striking.

Why do we lack Fire Jet? It's a classic trope and the type could use a Quick Attack clone.

fire users have many advantages over others... maybe a first impression clone?
a name like Wildfire, Sun Flare, weird that Flame Burst wasnt a increased priority move?
like in sunny weather?

ghost, poison, water, fire draining moves

ghost type and dragon types need this taking normal and fairies are immune to them:
Grimm Scythe and Ragnarok rush One-hit knockout moves

Accuracy = ((level of user - level of target) + 20)%

I would chage accuracy for One hit knockout moves :
((level of user - level of target)+(special/attack of user - special/defense of target)+(speed of user -speed of target)+20)%

level, speed and theor respective stats related with should be counted in the equation to make it more fair taking that Level isnt everything.

Sylph Dance- fairy type version of Phantom Force...

Frozen wind - ice type version of Phantom Force but a special oriented move (turns into frosty wind , hits and then transforms back)

Lightning Bounce - electric type version of Bounce

Steam force- fire/water type version of Phantom force but as a special move...

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom