• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves-of-the-Week Discussion #53: Magic Room & Wonder Room

Reaction score

In Pokémon, there are lots of different moves used by different Pokémon. Every week, we shall focus the discussion on a different move, and there will be some base questions that would help you start this off. This week, Magic Room & Wonder Room are chosen.

For this week and the next three week, we will discuss more than one move at the time, as there are more possibilities in discussion, such as comparing both moves with one another, in addition to discussion of the individual moves.

Both of these moves are introduced in Generation 5, first used by Gothitelle and Reuniclus, meant to showcase some new field effects. Like Trick Room, both moves are the last to be performed, and only last for five turns (including its usage). The former renders items useless, while the latter switches the defences of every Pokémon on the field. What's interesting is that both moves are sort of counterpart moves, because Pokémon that are considered counterparts learn one of the two moves, so Wigglytuff gets the former while Clefable gets the latter, for example. For some reason, I thought Magic Room is more useful, because less Pokémon learns this exclusive move compared to Wonder Room, but that's just me.

Here's the in-game description for both moves:

Magic Room (BW) said:
Type: Psychic (Status)
Base Power: --
Accuracy: --%
PP: 10

The user creates a bizarre area in which Pokémon's held items lose their effects for five turns.

Wonder Room (BW) said:
Type: Psychic (Status)
Base Power: --
Accuracy: --%
PP: 10

The user creates a bizarre area in which Pokémon's Defense and Sp. Def stats are swapped for five turns.

Here are the usual possible questions about this move:
  • How does certain Pokémon (who knows it) use this move? What kind of purpose would this move have for them (in the Pokémon World)?
  • How could this move be used to aid a profession in the Pokémon World?
  • Could this move realistically be used by any Pokémon who doesn't learn it normally? If yes, please explain your choices.
  • How would this move be used in battling, realistically or video game-wise?

Other questions (You could ask other critical questions beyond the listed):
  • Considering that Pokémon that are counterparts gets one of the moves each, how are both moves considered counterparts?
  • With a priority value of -7, the users will almost always move last. What makes these moves execute last?
  • Regarding Magic Room, how do the items lose its effect for everybody?
  • Regarding Magic Room, how is this move different from Embargo, another move that temporarily disables the item, besides targeting only one user (along with the trainer)?
  • Regarding Wonder Room, how is it like when defences are swapped for everybody?
  • Regarding Wonder Room, what would happen if this move swaps the attack stats for every Pokémon instead?

Here are the current users of Magic Room (put in Spoiler tag due to the large list):
(Level-up)
  • Lunatone
  • Gothita, Gothorita & Gothitelle

(Move Tutor)
  • Wigglytuff
  • Abra, Kadabra & Alakazam
  • Drowzee & Hypno
  • Smoochum & Jynx
  • Mewtwo
  • Mew
  • Natu & Xatu
  • Espeon
  • Misdreavus & Mismagius
  • Stantler
  • Celebi
  • Ralts, Kirlia, Gardevoir & Gallade
  • Shuppet & Banette
  • Latias
  • Jirachi
  • Uxie, Mesprit & Azelf
  • Cresselia
  • Sigilyph
  • Meloetta

(Breeding)
  • Mime Jr. & Mr. Mime

Here are the current users of Wonder Room (put in Spoiler tag due to the large list):
(Level-up)
  • Psyduck & Golduck
  • Solrock
  • Solosis, Duosion & Reuniclus
  • Elgyem & Beheeyem

(Move Tutor)
  • Clefairy & Clefable
  • Abra, Kadabra & Alakazam
  • Gastly, Haunter & Gengar
  • Starmie
  • Mime Jr. & Mr. Mime
  • Porygon, Porygon2 & Porygon-Z
  • Mewtwo
  • Mew
  • Umbreon
  • Lugia
  • Celebi
  • Ralts, Kirlia, Gardevoir & Gallade
  • Sableye
  • Altaria
  • Baltoy & Claydol
  • Kecleon
  • Duskull, Dusclops & Dusknoir
  • Latios
  • Deoxys
  • Bronzor & Bronzong
  • Spiritomb
  • Uxie, Mesprit & Azelf
  • Darkrai
  • Munna & Musharna
  • Yamask & Cofagrigus
  • Meloetta

(Breeding)
  • Slowpoke, Slowbro & Slowking
  • Misdreavus & Mismagius

Thanks for reading, and happy discussing!

~ The General Pokémon Forum Staff

Previous Move-of-the-Weeks:

Next Move-of-the-Week: When the skies are clear, these two moves are more potent in aiding the user.

I always get these moves mixed up. They're pretty rare and insignificant attacks, but interesting at the same time. I'm particularly interested in Wonder Room. Negating all held item effects could be used in a lot of strategic ways, such as getting around your own Choice item or keeping the opponent from restoring with Leftovers. I see this move being used by the user creating a large, box-shaped field of energy around the battlefield, radiating out from itself. Because of the magical properties implied by the name, I assume using these moves are like casting an enchantment on the surrounding area. The moves might go last because it just takes a while for the user to build up the energy or cast the spell. Also, the programmers probably didn't want it interfering with any damage or effects that turn, but that's a much less fun viewpoint.

-Considering that Pokémon that are counterparts gets one of the moves each, how are both moves considered counterparts?

Well, The primary variable aspects (super awesome vocab here) of a Pokemon are items, stats, and moves. Since you obviously shouldn't be able to change the opponents moves, the other two have moves that change the opponents stats/items. (I really suck at explaining this, sorry.) Also, Items are typically offensive, while Def. and Sp. Def. are typically defensive. So, they are also counterparts because one creates a weakness on offense while the other creates a weakness on defense.

-With a priority value of -7, the users will almost always move last. What makes these moves execute last?

Well, obviously, in terms of metagame, balance. The opponent should have some time to react to items being neutralized or stats being switched, so they are given an extra turn to act. In terms of lore, well, I'd suppose that creating a warped dimension would require at least a little time to consentrate and charge. That means that the opponent(s) will have enough time to strike.

To be honest, I never even heard of these moves. Maybe its because I never actually used them... but anyways, it looks interesting that some of the users are version counterparts.

I don't care much about Def and Sp. Def getting switched, but the item effects are rather dangerous. That may mean the prevention of berry consumption, no? So after sacrificing a turn using Magic Room, attacking the opponent with a super effective move would not activate any possible damge-reducing berries. Also, the effect of Focus items, Choice items will not activate as well.

I should try it sometime.

I always get these moves mixed up. They're pretty rare and insignificant attacks, but interesting at the same time. I'm particularly interested in Wonder Room. Negating all held item effects could be used in a lot of strategic ways, such as getting around your own Choice item or keeping the opponent from restoring with Leftovers. I see this move being used by the user creating a large, box-shaped field of energy around the battlefield, radiating out from itself. Because of the magical properties implied by the name, I assume using these moves are like casting an enchantment on the surrounding area. The moves might go last because it just takes a while for the user to build up the energy or cast the spell. Also, the programmers probably didn't want it interfering with any damage or effects that turn, but that's a much less fun viewpoint.

Looks like you really are mixed up about those moves, because you described Magic Room's effect instead of Wonder Room. Your explanation on how this is set up is a reasonable one. I agree that the explanation of balance is not as fun, because it is not as imaginative.

To be honest, I never even heard of these moves. Maybe its because I never actually used them... but anyways, it looks interesting that some of the users are version counterparts.

I don't care much about Def and Sp. Def getting switched, but the item effects are rather dangerous. That may mean the prevention of berry consumption, no? So after sacrificing a turn using Magic Room, attacking the opponent with a super effective move would not activate any possible damge-reducing berries. Also, the effect of Focus items, Choice items will not activate as well.

I should try it sometime.

If you were around to experience the preview of Generation 5, which you probably didn't or you know about it later, those moves were something new when Reuniclus and Gothitelle were first introduced. Gothitelle used Magic Room in a Double battle in a preview on Smash, in which it moved the last (after Woobat, Alomomola and then Axew, in that order), showcasing the move's negative priority, something not known yet.

I thought it was interesting too, that there are several users who are counterparts. I always thought that Magic Room is the better move because the less stronger counterparts (Wigglytuff, Cresselia) learned this, and how it is learned by less users.

If Wonder Room were to swap attack stats instead of defence stats, how would you feel about this move? Personally, I feel that this would be a great counter to offensive teams, and would all in all be a more useful field effect.

Thanks for reading.

If Wonder Room were to swap attack stats? As in, Attack and Special Attack? Hmm...

If the opponent used that on me, then my Rampardos would fail. It's an all out physical attacker, and rarely uses any special moves. Of course, if I had a special move on me, I could always resort to that, but in case I don't, welp, I might lose the match.

Though, for a Gallade... the Wonder Room effect could really give it a bonus when he knows Psyshock - because if the Attack stat is switched, then the special Psyshock will afflict deadly damage. XDD

Looks like you really are mixed up about those moves, because you described Magic Room's effect instead of Wonder Room. Your explanation on how this is set up is a reasonable one. I agree that the explanation of balance is not as fun, because it is not as imaginative.

*facepalm* Well that was dumb of me, the description was right up there. At least I got my point across. Thanks for pointing that out!

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom