• Magnificent Entertainer explores Route 213 and Pastoria City. Watch here as he encounters a strange man with an affinity for feet.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Let's-a Go Eevee
Reaction score
Electrode doesn't get Rapid Spin?! Well that's depressing.

Destroyer of Fairy, Steel and Ice types.
Reaction score
Zapdos with Zap Cannon. Why does it have it? It doesn't have lock on to help use it. Also why does Zapdos not learn Hurricane like the other two?

Zeb

what is your spaghetti policy here?
Reaction score
Gyro Ball is usually shown as spinning horizontally too and Electrode learns that by level up (not even a TM only thing). So I don't think it matters much.

Edit: Yeah Goombario beat me to it. :p

Zeb

Reaction score
I'm inclined to think they tested Hurricane Zapdos out at some point and didn't like it so removed the move. Both Articuno and Moltres get the move, so I don't think it's a mistake that Zapdos doesn't. Under Rain it could use both Thunder and Hurricane with no real drawback, so they might have considered it too much. (They also changed Lightning Rod to Static on it, so I guess they think it's too good in general.)

Let's-a Go Eevee
Reaction score
Still, it's not like we don't have stronger things than Thunder + Hurricane Zapdos. Besides, Drizzle is no longer permanent.

Zeb

Reaction score
Oh I don't disagree. I'm just saying I think they probably tested it and didn't like it, because the other two birds getting it and Zapdos not can't be coincidence.

Girl with the Ghosts
Reaction score
Gyro Ball is usually shown as spinning horizontally too and Electrode learns that by level up (not even a TM only thing). So I don't think it matters much.:p
Which is hilarious, because Gyro Ball does more damage the slower your pokemon is and Electrode is known for being stupid-fast. On top of Overheat and Rapid Spin, I think it should get Bulldoze, Superpower, Signal Beam, Dark Pulse and Suckerpunch too. Looking at it's move pool, it really is in a sad state. This poor thing has no type coverage.

Reaction score
Which is hilarious, because Gyro Ball does more damage the slower your pokemon is and Electrode is known for being stupid-fast. On top of Overheat and Rapid Spin, I think it should get Bulldoze, Superpower, Signal Beam, Dark Pulse and Suckerpunch too. Looking at it's move pool, it really is in a sad state. This poor thing has no type coverage.
Voltorb/Electrode already learn Signal Beam and Sucker Punch.

Girl with the Ghosts
Reaction score
^Doesn't every pokemon get hidden power though? It's damage isn't very high either. It's rare to be able to one-KO, or even two-KO with it even if it's super effective.

#1 Wooloo Fan
Reaction score
They really need to change Zapdos's ability to Drizzle or added on with Hurricane!
Imagine Zapdos with that and Thunder and Roost!
You've made a monster :p That's a great idea for Mega Zapdos, tbh.

Let's-a Go Eevee
Reaction score
^Doesn't every pokemon get hidden power though? It's damage isn't very high either. It's rare to be able to one-KO, or even two-KO with it even if it's super effective.
Yeah, it was a joke. The fact that Electrode has to rely on HP for coverage is just a testament to how bad its movepool is.

Zeb

Reaction score
Well Electrode only learns Sucker Punch from a move tutor in Gen IV, so personally I wouldn't really class that as learning it considering the lengths you have to go through to get one these days (and even then it won't have a pentagon so you can't use it on Battle Spot if you wanted to). That's going back two generations (and soon to be three) and then having to transfer it forward.

It's like saying Qwilfish already learns Swords Dance just because it can learn it back in Gen III (and none of the later generations). Yeah, sure, it can have it but how many hoops should you need to jump through for it?

Let's-a Go Eevee
Reaction score
Come to think of it, Electrode's stats are downright awful. I don't think it would matter if it could learn, say, Flamethrower or Signal Beam. That 140 Base Speed makes Sucker Punch kind of useless, too.