• Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters! Click here to check out the event and sign up!

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Zeb

what is your spaghetti policy here?
Reaction score
Yeah out of Mud Sport and Water Sport the former is actually useful in double battles (well in a sense, no one ever actually uses it but it will work there), while the latter is the criminal of the two. Water Sport is mostly a trash version of Rain Dance. Although I guess it's useful for earlier in the game where Rain Dance isn't accessible (I think Viola's Surskit uses it in XY too?)

Thievulpes velox
Reaction score
Leafeon is the only Eeveelution that can learn knockoff. Why not Umbreon or Flareon?

Destroyer of Fairy, Steel and Ice types.
Reaction score
Mewtwo should learn Close Combat as it needs a physical fighting move for its X mega evolution.

Reaction score
Greninja and a ground type damaging move like Bone Club?

Pokémon: Gen 8.0 You Can (Not) Catch 'em All
Reaction score
Old thread, but I thought about this for a while.
  • Unfezant's moveset sucks. It's a physical attacker, but its moveset hampers that. I want it to learn Brave Bird and Drill Peck.
  • Bizarre choice, but I think Shaymin should get Thunderbolt.

Edit: oh shit I didn't even notice I posted it. I thought I closed it without saving.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wishiwashi needs phantom force, dive is not enough anymore.
Detect instead of protect if something.

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
Shadow Sneak on Greninja please!!!! It can move as fast and spookily as shadows, and let water shruiken become Greninja's signature move again...

Typhlosion should be able to learn steam eruption... As well, it's a volcano...

Reaction score
Popplio should learn Swift or not? Cyndaquil , Charmandder, Monferno, Blaziken , Sceptile got it in the past. For a Clown/performer it would be a nice touch.

Tortunator could get Pin Missile, head moves, body slam, gyro ball, all rotating moves, maybe some tail moves? Scald would be good for a turtle. Gas based moves.
Many Spike based moves even could see it learn spiky shield instead of lame protect.
Could see it get Counter, Mirror Coat and some more interesting things, even solar beam.

Last edited:
The Flame Pokémon
Reaction score
Shadow Sneak on Greninja please!!!! It can move as fast and spookily as shadows, and let water shruiken become Greninja's signature move again...
Like Alola said, it learns it through level-up, but at level 23. So you need a Move Reminder or whatever they were called. And I'm not sure why Water Shuriken should be Greninja's signature move. Shuriken is widely recognized as a ninja tool and the only other Pokemon that can learn it is also a ninja.

#JusticeForRotation
Reaction score
Too many things get Earthquake that shouldn't logically be capable of making the earth quake

Greninja and a ground type damaging move like Bone Club?
Interesting, although I'm kind of skeptical of how that would work? I don't see it

Wishiwashi needs phantom force, dive is not enough anymore.
Detect instead of protect if something.
Wishiwashi having Phantom Force is a stretch but I could kind of see it?

Dive is enough though

Typhlosion should be able to learn steam eruption... As well, it's a volcano...
Accelgor having Water Shuriken makes total sense

+ Typhlosion having Steam Eruption makes no sense

"What do you mean, my Gengarite is contraband?!"
Reaction score
This would probably break worlds, but... Anyone up for Shift Gear Metagross?

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
Typhlosion having Steam Eruption makes no sense
Typhlosion is the volcano Pokemon, so if they could expand the volcano concept, I could see Typhlosion (and potentially mega typhlosion) which steam, and it could get steam eruption.

I always wished if they could make mega Typhlosion fire/water, and make it a non-legendary counterpart to Volcanion...